Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Crank sensor would cause these symptoms. I would replace it if I were you.
Thanks Scott! Even if the dealership does not turn up anything, I've heard this advice from so many people I think I will just replace the part. Have a genuine Toyota crank sensor ready to go. Car is being kept one more day so they have time to complete the diagnostic.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Posting an update in case anyone is still following this thread! Picking my car up from the stealership tomorrow-they were kind enough not to charge me, as they could not replicate the issue. Going to have our next door neighbor replace the cam and crank sensors and take it from there! Thanks to all who replied. If car stalls on the way home may be tempted to leave it there!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Crank sensors are very special, mine would not let me rev past 3k and would not throw a check engine light except flash it very quickly, wouldnt even store a code
In my case one of the teeth that the sensor reads was very very slightly bent when the previous owner took it off
Also going off what lowered said, is your car left outside? Coils going out or cracked wires?
I had a leak on my hood were the sprayer was they perfectly landed on my coil packs and would seep into my spark plug holes and fill them with water

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks, both of you, for your responses! Now the plan is for our very cool next door neighbor to replace the crank and cam sensors-just bought him a Haynes manual for my car. 😊 I will mention the coil packs to him.
I did have the check engine light flash briefly, but NO code. Arrggh!
My car is left outside-we only have a one car garage, and it's full of boyfriend's tools and stuff. The car has been in Washington State (not a particular harsh weather environment) its entire life, but previous owner garaged it. We did check the wires very carefully.
The coil packs ARE worth looking into I think-seems to me the car acts up more when it is wet outside? Which it is going to be for the next months!
I will report back after the next couple of things have been done. I really do appreciate the people on this forum!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts