Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Having problems with my 98. Recently, the engine has been hesitating from 2000 rpms up to 3000 rpms under moderate acceleration. Above or below that I have no issues at all. If I'm very light on the gas, I don't have the issue either - it just takes 60 seconds to get to freeway speed. Instead, I've been driving like a mad man to keep the rpms out of the "trouble range".

No check engine light. Doesn't seem to be a fuel delivery problem. The engine almost acts like its not getting spark for a second. Makes the car jerk pretty bad. Any ideas for things I can start chasing down?

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,675 Posts
does it sputter??? does it happen a lot when its raining or wet outside?? check the dizzy, it could be lose and its letting moisture in.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since it's a 98, there's no distributor to check. I still think it's something electrical though. One thing I noticed on the ride home - if I clutch it when the studdering starts, it revs just fine with no hesitation. The problem only seems to happen under load. I've ruled out the clutch too since I know what bad clutch systems are like.

As far as weather, its been happening rain or shine. The problem didn't show up until it got colder out the past month.

Weird:confused:

·
The TN Member
ae101 levin&trueno
1,273 Posts
stubborn1 said:
Since it's a 98, there's no distributor to check. I still think it's something electrical though. One thing I noticed on the ride home - if I clutch it when the studdering starts, it revs just fine with no hesitation. The problem only seems to happen under load. I've ruled out the clutch too since I know what bad clutch systems are like.

As far as weather, its been happening rain or shine. The problem didn't show up until it got colder out the past month.

Weird:confused:
Still sounds electrical, so check your plugs leads and dizzy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.