Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90' Toyota Pickup
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had any problems with the 3vze engine hesitating while the engine is cold? Haven't gotten around to looking at it due to no time but with your guy's inputs on your past experiences, that would give me a good general idea of where to look first. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Mine always has - 14 years now - and I've concluded it "just does that" when cold. It's okay if I don't get too heavy with the pedal. And it's fine after 3 minutes or so. I just put up with it.

On my engine, here's what I've checked and found to be fine:
compression, vacuum, throttle body, tps, vafm, ect, o2 sensor, cold start injector, cold start injector time switch, egr, injectors, fuel pressure, timing, distributor, cap, rotor, coil, igniter, wires, plugs. And it still coughs if I give it too much gas when cold.

If you do manage to fix it, drop a line, will you? :D

·
Registered
90' Toyota Pickup
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha thanks for the help man. And ya I have been putting up with it since late December when I got the truck. Its just hard to be a teen waking up a few mins before class starts and college is 5 miles away. You just want to get up and go lol.
But i will still be taking a look. I was thinking it could be the tps, TB, or the cold start injectors...but now after reading what you had put down I'm starting to have my doubts. Thanks for the input and if I find anything I will be sure to let you know :thumbsup:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I wonder if the cold start injector thats in the plenum of the intake puts too much fuel in. mine does that too, but mine smells gassy. I just let it warm up a min than its ok.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Check the various intake clamps / connections to make sure they are secure. The rubber piece that attach's to the throttle body can deteriorate over time from heat. Mine had a rip on the underside so I replaced it a couple of years back.

I run a little more timing than the factory calls for. This may prevent some of the bogging down issues others are experiencing. I normally use 5W-30 which should give the engine a little less friction to overcome until it reaches it's normal operating temperature.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I posted a thread with this problem about a month ago...

My problem was that I'm a dumbass and hadn't checked my radiator since I bought the truck. About a gallon and a half later she runs like a dream

hope this helps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts