Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 XLE bogs down for a second or two when I accelerate from a "rolling stop" - which is about 1-4 mph. This happens in ECO, Normal, and Sport mode.

Does anyone else have this problem? It's bad enough to be dangerous and I'm hoping for a recall. The small city I live in has over 100 roundabouts where rolling stops are a part of daily driving.

Thanks.
Andy

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an SE model and it does the same thing
If I don't come to a complete stop as you said ( rolling stop ) and give it gas it will bog down unless I really put my foot down hard on
accelerator
Its like it stays in a higher gear

·
Registered
663 Posts
Yep I hate the programming. It likes to stay in second gear then you have to give it some gas to get it to shift into first which makes the car lurch. Suppose you could kick it into manual and go into first earlier yourself.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yup, can confirm several others have this issue from another thread. I constantly switch between S mode and D when coming to a stop. Thankfully with paddle shifters, even in D, I can change gears and avoid the hesitation.

·
Registered
215 Posts
In all modes, it looks like the transmission starts in fourth gear (S4 when you switch from D to S). In D, you can paddle shift the transmission down to D1 or D2 as well-I do not know what gear it equates to...I did not check when I discovered the downshift in D-mode.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
In all modes, it looks like the transmission starts in fourth gear (S4 when you switch from D to S). In D, you can paddle shift the transmission down to D1 or D2 as well-I do not know what gear it equates to...I did not check when I discovered the downshift in D-mode.
Can you paddle shift it up and force the car to begin movement in 5th? This would be a + when driving on slick roads. My old LTD (3sd auto) could be forced to start in 2nd by shifting to that gear. Starting in a higher gear greatly reduced wheel spin.
W95c

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's dependent at speed level actually. I'm not sure what exactly the cut off point but it looks like 55-60mph the car will actually start in S5. If you're travelling at a low speed it may actually be in a lower gear then what it shows. The easiest way to know is to shift down and it will automatically blip down a gear and show you what your actual gear is. So it's not surprising to see if it showed S4 but when shifting down will show S2.

When you blip the downshift paddle shifter in D, it correlates correctly to the gear it's in. Most likely if you're already slowing down it may be in (D5)5th or (D6)6th gear. It tends to stay in the higher gear when you come to a stop while in D. I noticed it's much harder to get it to properly engine brake without just double or triple tapping the paddle shifter.

Can you paddle shift it up and force the car to begin movement in 5th? This would be a + when driving on slick roads. My old LTD (3sd auto) could be forced to start in 2nd by shifting to that gear. Starting in a higher gear greatly reduced wheel spin.
W95c
When you are at a stop and shift to S4, it technically is not in 4th gear. It will be in 1st gear and will shift depending on foot pedal position until it reaches 4th gear. With this car's TCS and STM I don't think you have to worry about wheel spin. It will actually cut power to the wheel that spins until it gets traction.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Even though the number on the dash says 4th gear I don't believe it is starting in 4th. You can feel it shift through the first 3 gears. Not sure why when you flip it to sport it says 4th.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Now that I have about 2000 miles on my car, it seems that the transmission has smoothed out quite a bit when accelerating from slow speeds. When I first got the car, it seemed like I had to floor it to get it to start moving. I have an XSE V6.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Now that I have about 2000 miles on my car, it seems that the transmission has smoothed out quite a bit when accelerating from slow speeds. When I first got the car, it seemed like I had to floor it to get it to start moving. I have an XSE V6.
Thanks for the update from a V6 driver perspective ... I thought the lethargic throttle response was an I4 issue only?

Is it transmission, TPS (throttle position sensor), or CAS (Collision Avoidance System) causing the issue even though you report yours has cleaned up?

I wonder if CAS has to sign off on throttle input before you can get going?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thanks for the update from a V6 driver perspective ... I thought the lethargic throttle response was an I4 issue only?

Is it transmission, TPS (throttle position sensor), or CAS (Collision Avoidance System) causing the issue even though you report yours has cleaned up?

I wonder if CAS has to sign off on throttle input before you can get going?
It was either transmission or throttle, not CAS. I had to really step on it to get it to move initially. I assume the computer finally learned my driving habits.

·
Registered
198 Posts
With my V6, if you hit the gas pedal smoothly and deliberately from a rolling or full stop acceleration is generally pretty smooth. If, on the other hand you hit the pedal harder, the car tends to lurch slightly before taking off. I've also noticed that, on a hard acceleration from around 45 to 50 mph on a freeway ramp up to a full speed of 70-75 mph, there's a hesitation and then, voom, the revs rise rapidly and you're flying. It seems to me that a transmission software update with a transmission programming modification could resolve much of this.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The hesitation is really annoying. The shifts on my SE are also sometimes very rough. I'm taking it back to the dealership tomorrow to have it looked at. I have about 2,060 miles on the odometer now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you have a SE and put it in Sport Mode on the gear selector will that change anything? To me it seems like you have to give it a nice tap to get it to go.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I also have this issue. I have a XSE V6 with 2800 miles on it. Since i got it the car will always be smooth with light throttle in normal mode. If i hit the gas a little harder it seems like it hesitate until a high rpm. Sport mode seems pretty descent without much of a hesitation. I also noticed when coming to a dead stop 80% of the time the transmission will drop hard into first gear. Kinda annoying. I hope their will be a transmission update soon for the car.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts