Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
Is Here To Look
28 Posts
I had this same issue but everything seems to be smoothing out, I noticed it stop happening after the first oil change, I have about 7,500 Miles on now and I don't notice this issue at all anymore.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Am i the only one who has about 3600 miles and still having this issue. Also, when i put the car in and out of park, theres a high pitch noise for a brief moment, does anyone else have that noise?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Update: No longer having this issue. About 2500 miles in.
I just went over 1700 miles on my Camry and noticed today that starts from a complete or rolling stop were smoother. Going from 65 to 75 or 80 also seems smoother. There doesn't appear to be the previous abrupt gear change and roaring acceleration. Hopefully that will now be the norm with further room for improvement.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2018 SE ... same issue ... dealer looked at me with that "you are a PITA" look and told me to go talk to the salesperson and see if she had any other customers with that complaint ... sort of like if the answer was no then I should just leave ...

I am hopeful that as others have stated here the comp will learn my driving habits and resolve, I only have 800 miles on the car so far.

Have others seen improvement over time?

·
Registered
205 Posts
My '18 SE is having similar issue.
I noticed at speed below 25MPH - sometime it lost power for a couple seconds, then suddenly kick in (jerking) hard like someone hit me in the rear. It happens randomly, especially when I turn. My Camry is at ~2800 miles now.

I had this same issue on my '17 tacoma, the dealer updated the transmission firmware and it went away. Hopefully Toyota will release a firmware update for the transmission.

I've own many toyota vehicles in the past 25+ years. Recently noticed toyota quality control is going downhill on newer vehicles.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I've own many toyota vehicles in the past 25+ years. Recently noticed toyota quality control is going downhill on newer vehicles.
Plus it now takes Toyota around 3 years to work out first year model redesign bugs. The cosmetic and mechanical bugs in the all new 2012 Camry, for example, weren't worked out until the 2015 model year. It took Toyota that long to make the car feel refined, acceptably quiet and highly reliable. Ditto in regard to the all new 2013 Avalon - it's hard ride comfort problem, falling headliners and other ills weren't fixed until the 2016 model year. Ditto in regard to the all new 2016 Tacoma - even the 2018's still do not yet exhibit responsive and refined engine/transmission behavior.

·
straight cash homie
18,817 Posts
Plus it now takes Toyota around 3 years to work out first year model redesign bugs. The cosmetic and mechanical bugs in the all new 2012 Camry, for example, weren't worked out until the 2015 model year. It took Toyota that long to make the car feel refined, acceptably quiet and highly reliable. Ditto in regard to the all new 2013 Avalon - it's hard ride comfort problem, falling headliners and other ills weren't fixed until the 2016 model year. Ditto in regard to the all new 2016 Tacoma - even the 2018's still do not yet exhibit responsive and refined engine/transmission behavior.
Interesting point you bring up. I wonder if a lot of these small issues could be attributed to Toyota's corporate move to Texas, where the communication between companies/departments is supposedly to flow much better than when each unit was spread apart from each other.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
I took my '18 Camry in today after feeling a very hard "shift shock" on two separate occasions yesterday. Honestly, it felt like someone rear ended me.

The dealership did confirm my concerns after driving it. My service advisor said there is a software update available to correct the issue. Unfortunately, it took six hours to complete because they couldn't locate the serial number for my transmission. The service technician apparently had to contact a Toyota engineer to get everything squared away.

Long story short, I tested it myself on the way home, and the problem was gone. The transmission doesn't feel lethargic and shifts much smoother now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I took my '18 Camry in today after feeling a very hard "shift shock" on two separate occasions yesterday. Honestly, it felt like someone rear ended me.

The dealership did confirm my concerns after driving it. My service advisor said there is a software update available to correct the issue. Unfortunately, it took six hours to complete because they couldn't locate the serial number for my transmission. The service technician apparently had to contact a Toyota engineer to get everything squared away.

Long story short, I tested it myself on the way home, and the problem was gone. The transmission doesn't feel lethargic and shifts much smoother now.
Any chance your Service Paperwork shows the new Transmission Software Version?

·
Registered
94 Posts

Any chance your Service Paperwork shows the new Transmission Software Version?
It says the vehicle has an open TSB. The service paperwork references 0330-17 for "shift shock."

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't mean to just add more of the same, but I have a 2018 XSE I4 that we got in October of 2017. It is having the same issues as described even after 5k. I have read and reviewed the T-SB-0330-17 and my vin does apply. Hopefully this will get it sorted out because I absolutely love this car...except when taking off from rolling stops lol

·
Registered
94 Posts
Don't mean to just add more of the same, but I have a 2018 XSE I4 that we got in October of 2017. It is having the same issues as described even after 5k. I have read and reviewed the T-SB-0330-17 and my vin does apply. Hopefully this will get it sorted out because I absolutely love this car...except when taking off from rolling stops lol
It should. The transmission is buttery smooth now after the update with my SE.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It should. The transmission is buttery smooth now after the update with my SE.
What do you ask for when you go to the dealership? Is it a widely known issue where you dont have to explain everything to them?
I simply told them what I was experiencing. When they test drove my car, the advisor said the technicians were able to confirm my concern. He informed me it wasn't a widely known issue but they did have an available TSB to correct the issue via a software update.

21 - 40 of 95 Posts