Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yea Im not totally sold on the TSB fixing it. It seems like first gear is too steep to be starting off midway like when you do a rolling start which causes the "slam" feeling from the torque. Not much they can change about that except make it hold second to a lower vehicle speed, but that's changing the way the car was engineered/designed to operate.

·
ed
6 Posts
T-SB-0330-17 works

I experienced this problem whenever I decelerated to a near stop, then tried to reaccelerate quickly. Momentarily I get no response (dead spot), then suddently the engine surged as the transmission downshifted and engaged. At the dealership, applying the TSB took about two hours, and the car is now as responsive as ever. I'm glad Toytota decided to fix this problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I experienced this problem whenever I decelerated to a near stop, then tried to reaccelerate quickly. Momentarily I get no response (dead spot), then suddently the engine surged as the transmission downshifted and engaged. At the dealership, applying the TSB took about two hours, and the car is now as responsive as ever. I'm glad Toytota decided to fix this problem.

I assume your car is a 4 Cylinder? I have the same problem with my 6 cylinder and took the car in to the dealership yesterday. They told me that the TSB doesn't apply to me and that hopefully something will be available for my car someday.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I assume your car is a 4 Cylinder? I have the same problem with my 6 cylinder and took the car in to the dealership yesterday. They told me that the TSB doesn't apply to me and that hopefully something will be available for my car someday.

My dealer told me the same thing about my V6 a few months back. Still not TSB for the V6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
ed
6 Posts

The TSB applies to engine A25A-FKS, which I assume is the 2.5L 4 cylinder. I think it's just a matter of time before they have a TSB for the 6 cylinder.

·
ed
6 Posts
I simply told them what I was experiencing. When they test drove my car, the advisor said the technicians were able to confirm my concern. He informed me it wasn't a widely known issue but they did have an available TSB to correct the issue via a software update.
It's one of those TSBs that's applied ONLY if the customer complains.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The TSB applies to engine A25A-FKS, which I assume is the 2.5L 4 cylinder. I think it's just a matter of time before they have a TSB for the 6 cylinder.
I certainly hope so. All around a pretty nice car. Although polarizing, I like the look. Comfort, handling, power, and economy are quite good. This transmission though is awful and I actually feel stupid for not having done a more comprehensive test drive before buying mine.

It's one of those deals where if present me could go back and share thoughts with past me, I would not own the car.

·
Registered
42 Posts

The TSB says "Some 2018 Camry's". I'm gonna go test drive a 2019 and 2018 V6 and see if they have the same problem. I'm working directly with Toyota to get mine returned or replaced. Hopefully this goes somewhere other than waiting for a TSB "someday".

·
Registered
58 Posts
The TSB says "Some 2018 Camry's". I'm gonna go test drive a 2019 and 2018 V6 and see if they have the same problem. I'm working directly with Toyota to get mine returned or replaced or a Toyota Buyback. Hopefully this goes somewhere other than waiting for a TSB "someday".
The V6 definitely does this as well as the other various quirks of this new 8-speed. I'm not certain why the V6 has not received an update where the I4 has. Does the V6 have a high-torque or slightly different variation of the new Aisin? Is it a matter that the V6 has different transmission programming to accommodate it's extra power and different power curve? No idea.

Short version: Go ahead and shop a V6 but it's not going to free you of the problems that are irritating with your I4. They might be less apparent but they will still be there.

Are you actually pursuing a buyback from Toyota? Such things are not wise to discuss in forums but if you don't mind PM'ing me I would be interested to hear some of the details.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the V6 already. I've talked to people with V6's who don't have the problem. I ask people with the same car in parking lots. No problems. The Camry review on Edmonds.com noted the problem. The January long term review. 4 Cylinder though.

Toyota also told me that they can arrange for me to meet with technicians from Toyota at my local dealership and they'll look at my car. I guess they travel around and do trainings.

I'd like to get the same car but without the problem.

The dealer I got the car from said they can't fix it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The TSB says "Some 2018 Camry's". I'm gonna go test drive a 2019 and 2018 V6 and see if they have the same problem. I'm working directly with Toyota to get mine returned or replaced. Hopefully this goes somewhere other than waiting for a TSB "someday".
Let me know how this turns out the 2019 verses the 2018. Have you driven any others that have the V6 engines?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I drove the 2018 Avalon before I knew about this problem. I test drove a Camry also. My dealer is right next to the freeway so we were on the freeway most of the time. I didn't notice the problem during those test drives. I did not get to test drive the Camry I bought however. It took awhile for them to find it, and get it back to the dealership. By then I had filled out all the paperwork. They handed me the keys and I drove home. The gas pedal was ultra stiff for a few weeks so I thought the delay at stops was just the stiffness. Gas pedal is great now. But every rolling stop, and some red lights cause the delay/shift shock.

Always test drive with plenty of stop signs!

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2018 XLE bogs down for a second or two when I accelerate from a "rolling stop" - which is about 1-4 mph. This happens in ECO, Normal, and Sport mode.

Does anyone else have this problem? It's bad enough to be dangerous and I'm hoping for a recall. The small city I live in has over 100 roundabouts where rolling stops are a part of daily driving.

Thanks.
Andy

I rented a Camry 2018 SE with about 1500 miles on it from a Toyota dealership, and it did the exact same thing as you described and in my experience the jerk was bad enough to spoil the driving experience and comfort, the jerk was sudden enough to make it really uncomfortable on the body. And let me tell you, I was in "Eco" mode and I drive very gently. The transmission on the 2018/19 Camry in my humble opinion leaves a lot to be desired and the V4 engine in anemic to say the least. The overall design, drive, grip, and the gas mileage per gallon is super awesome.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I rented a Camry 2018 SE with about 1500 miles on it from a Toyota dealership, and it did the exact same thing as you described and in my experience the jerk was bad enough to spoil the driving experience and comfort, the jerk was sudden enough to make it really uncomfortable on the body. And let me tell you, I was in "Eco" mode and I drive very gently. The transmission on the 2018/19 Camry in my humble opinion leaves a lot to be desired and the V4 engine in anemic to say the least. The overall design, drive, grip, and the gas mileage per gallon is super awesome.
The SE doesn't have eco mode. It just displays eco to indicated that you're driving in the disired range to obtain good fuel economy. The upper trim levels have the ECO modes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2019 SE 2.5L , has the same issues. Bad hesitation from a rolling acceleration. Car has only 1000 miles on it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Many of the new 8-10 speed automatics have the same issue. Not just Toyota. Look at the Jeep forums. These vehicles are often still in third or fourth gear at 4mph and they shouldn't be. The manufacturers are trying to squeeze maximum mpg out of these cars and that's what they're doing to get it. The alternative is an earlier shift to the lower, proper gear, and probably complaints about harsh downshifts when coming to a stop.

·
イリジウム
11,652 Posts
Since 6-speed transmissions were introduced some are programmed to start in 2nd gear from stop. During a rolling low speed start you could still be in even higher gears as mentioned. yeah the new 8-speed is bad news!

·
Registered
13 Posts
To follow up ... I have the 2018 Camry SE and had the same problem. Took it to the local dealership that blew me off and said that was just the way it was ... went to a different dealership in a larger adjacent town ... they put it in the shop, tech worked on it for a couple of hours and voila, no more issue.

I was told there was a download and he also did some tweaking to that ... I have no clue what the tweaking was ... all I can say is the car operates normally now and I notice no adverse effects.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts