Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
It's interesting that in reviews of the all-new 2019 RAV4 which is built on the same platform as the Camry, reviewers noticed some of the same issues that the Camry has had since being introduced:

"The RAV4's automatic often felt like it was a step behind our desires, especially when lurching away from rolling "California stops."

"We found that the RAV4's doors shut with a decidedly downmarket, tinny sound. Almost like it's missing a piece of insulation or sound deadening."

"Even commuters with no interest in cars will notice the Toyota 2.5-liter I-4 sounds coarse, unrefined, and obnoxiously loud."

"Entune 3.0 is super slow and unresponsive"

I would have hoped that some of these things would have been addressed by now, especially in the new RAV4 which has become Toyota's best selling vehicle.

·
Registered
94 Posts
To follow up ... I have the 2018 Camry SE and had the same problem. Took it to the local dealership that blew me off and said that was just the way it was ... went to a different dealership in a larger adjacent town ... they put it in the shop, tech worked on it for a couple of hours and voila, no more issue.

I was told there was a download and he also did some tweaking to that ... I have no clue what the tweaking was ... all I can say is the car operates normally now and I notice no adverse effects.
They reprogrammed the transmission to smoothen out the shifts. I purchased mine last August and took in for service in December and they located the update at that time and applied it.

When was yours built? I remember hearing that all Camry's from January 2018 onwards had the update for the smoother transmission.

The new RAV4 uses the same exact 2.5L engine. There's going to be a lot of annoyed owners if Toyota doesn't correct this.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Booked my 2018 LE in for flashing the ECU for next week... It seems to be learning to get worse and worse with the hesitancy and lurching acceleration...If it doesn't work I will trade it for a 2.0 Turbo Accord as the Toyota V6 has the same transmission as the 4 ?.. I have bought 4 new Toyotas in a row but this transmission is AWFUL
!

·
Registered
349 Posts
They reprogrammed the transmission to smoothen out the shifts. I purchased mine last August and took in for service in December and they located the update at that time and applied it.

When was yours built? I remember hearing that all Camry's from January 2018 onwards had the update for the smoother transmission.

The new RAV4 uses the same exact 2.5L engine. There's going to be a lot of annoyed owners if Toyota doesn't correct this.
I got mine September 2017 so I am the earliest of adopters.. The dealer says they don't apply the update unless you complain... Having the update done next Wednesday, and if it doesn't work, I will leave Toyota after 4 new cars, and go get a 2.0 accord test drive on the way home...

·
Registered
349 Posts
I would test drive that accord because even the 2.0 accords have that hesitation issues.
I sure will.. perhaps its all this 8 speed and 10 speed gas saving junk.. Hope it doesn't snow in Wisconsin this winter coz I cant fit a slim mouse under this car... not that I have tried.. I hate SUV bricks, but it's like they are forcing me to buy one.. I didn't ask for car that has no ground clearance and jerks about when I try and drive it.. Wish I had kept my 2008 V6 Camry....

·
1,619 Posts
I sure will.. perhaps its all this 8 speed and 10 speed gas saving junk.. Hope it doesn't snow in Wisconsin this winter coz I cant fit a slim mouse under this car... not that I have tried.. I hate SUV bricks, but it's like they are forcing me to buy one.. I didn't ask for car that has no ground clearance and jerks about when I try and drive it.. Wish I had kept my 2008 V6 Camry....
You can always go back a generation and get the 6 speed transmissions

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 2008 V6 Camry was great also, I wish I had kept it instead of trading it in for the piece of crap 2018 V6 XSE. I kept my 2008 for 10 years. Zero problems. Only had 168,000 miles on it when I traded it in.

Traded my POS Camry for the Accord 2.0T and the Accord is so much better. No problems, it's a pleasure to drive.

·
Registered
349 Posts
My 2008 V6 Camry was great also, I wish I had kept it instead of trading it in for the piece of crap 2018 V6 XSE. I kept my 2008 for 10 years. Zero problems. Only had 168,000 miles on it when I traded it in.

Traded my POS Camry for the Accord 2.0T and the Accord is so much better. No problems, it's a pleasure to drive.
You give me hope... The Toyota Dealer is only a mile from the Honda dealer, so when I pick up the Camry after the re-flash, I will drive over to the Honda place and put the Camry through it spaces with lots of stop start and accelerations... If its still crap, I will turn into the Honda dealers and get a test drive booked..When folk say the Honda has hesitancy, I guess its the turbo lag ? Turbos in the 70s/80s had distinct lag...all of them, but they do say its almost inperceptible with the 2.0T Accord ?

·
Registered
87 Posts

I road tested the Accord. I did not care for the interior, It was also very close on leg room for me. It Drove very well. The dealer would not come anywhere near the deal I was able to get on the Camry which had a much nicer interior with unlimited leg room.
The transmission glitch seems to have gone away.
If you keep having that occur at a certain traffic location try paddle down shift. (Don't go all the way to first gear) That will put you down in second gear so you will not have to wait for the transmission to downshift. It is ok to downshift anytime you are under about 2500 rpm on the tachometer. It might require a little practice.
S mode can be used with the paddles as well. If you down shift in S mode it will hold the gear that you go to until you up shift with the paddle so you have more control. It still has some quircky programing that requires some practice. The manual on all this is useless.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I road tested the Accord. I did not care for the interior, It was also very close on leg room for me. It Drove very well. The dealer would not come anywhere near the deal I was able to get on the Camry which had a much nicer interior with unlimited leg room.
If you keep having that occur at a certain traffic location try paddle down shift. (Don't go all the way to first gear) That will put you down in second gear so you will not have to wait for the transmission to downshift. It is ok to downshift anytime you are under about 2500 rpm on the tachometer. It might require a little practice.
S mode can be used with the paddles as well. If you down shift in S mode it will hold the gear that you go to until you up shift with the paddle so you have more control. It still has some quircky programing that requires some practice. The manual on all this is useless.
As matter of interest, how does this "learning" thing work ? If I drive my car for a month in a really leisurely fashion, will the computer "Learn" that and program itself to drive gently at the expense of spirited but smooth acceleration on the highway ?

·
Registered
41 Posts

The Accord is close on leg room? I assume you're over 6'5" or have really long legs 'cuz it's fine for me and I'm 6'4". In the Camry, with my seat in it's lowest position, I still have to duck to look under the rear view mirror and see traffic on my right. I don't have this problem in the Accord. The seat goes low enough that I am looking under the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The Accord is close on leg room? I assume you're over 6'5" or have really long legs 'cuz it's fine for me and I'm 6'4". In the Camry, with my seat in it's lowest position, I still have to duck to look under the rear view mirror and see traffic on my right. I don't have this problem in the Accord. The seat goes low enough that I am looking under the rear view mirror.
With all these current cars I think we should get free knee pads so we can slide in... None of us asked for Go-kart height cars, but that is what we are now forced into... It's as though someone is forcing us into more expensive SUVs.... So much for capitalist theory that producers 'make what the customers want' ... It's exactly the opposite... We have no choice...it's either a tarmac skimming go-kart, or a big heavy lumbering brick... All producers changed at the same time.... I am dreading Wisconsin frozen snow lumps in my 2018 Camry...and the Accord is even lower !

·
Registered
41 Posts
As matter of interest, how does this "learning" thing work ? If I drive my car for a month in a really leisurely fashion, will the computer "Learn" that and program itself to drive gently at the expense of spirited but smooth acceleration on the highway ?
The learning thing didn't work for me and then I had the ECU reset and the learning thing didn't work for me. If your car has a delay/shift shock at most stop signs, couldn't the car learn that delay/shift shock is normal? Mine got worse and worse. And then, as I've stated many times, my technician said that my car "accelerates from a stop or rolling stop like it's stuck in neutral". And Toyota told me my car's problem is a "normal operating characteristic". 😀. Toyota sucks. They also told me "Rolling stops are illegal anyway".

·
Registered
349 Posts
The learning thing didn't work for me and then I had the ECU reset and the learning thing didn't work for me. If your car has a delay/shift shock at most stop signs, couldn't the car learn that delay/shift shock is normal? Mine got worse and worse. And then, as I've stated many times, my technician said that my car "accelerates from a stop or rolling stop like it's stuck in neutral". And Toyota told me my car's problem is a "normal operating characteristic". 😀. Toyota sucks. They also told me "Rolling stops are illegal anyway".
Rolling stops at "yield" signs, or when you slow for a crossing deer or drunk, are not illegal... so they have that wrong. If it is even slightly stuttery after the ECU flash on Wednesday, I am trading it for an accord... 4 new Camrys since 2004 so far, but up with this I am not putting !

·
Registered
349 Posts
Rolling stops at "yield" signs, or when you slow for a crossing deer or drunk, are not illegal... so they have that wrong. If it is even slightly stuttery after the ECU flash on Wednesday, I am trading it for an accord... 4 new Camrys since 2004 so far, but up with this I am not putting !
Ok reporting back after ECU flash..... I am encouraged, and the acceleration from deceleration is much smoother. I was told it will be learning for 1,000 miles. I asked how long it learns...? eg If I move to New York in 2 years time, and start gunning it all the time, will it learn that then ? He said the time from the flash means its learning is less and less time goes on ! I reckon BS ... Does anyone know how long the learning mode is ?

·
Solve et Coagula..
239 Posts
Ok reporting back after ECU flash..... I am encouraged, and the acceleration from deceleration is much smoother. I was told it will be learning for 1,000 miles. I asked how long it learns...? eg If I move to New York in 2 years time, and start gunning it all the time, will it learn that then ? He said the time from the flash means its learning is less and less time goes on ! I reckon BS ... Does anyone know how long the learning mode is ?
I don't think anyone knows for sure, but I have heard a couple different times that it is around 1000km. My reflash did help, but I drove it harder as recomended. Now when I want to drive in granny mode, it still runs right unlike before, and when I need some gumption it works better also. It is not perfect, but I have learned to live with it since it doesn't seem like we are getting a proper patch anytime soon. Good luck.

P.S. I think it will always adapt, but the base data you give it has a big role to play in how it reacts to a given situation. Make sure those first 1000km or so are all different kinds of driving, and try and not use cruise control.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I don't think anyone knows for sure, but I have heard a couple different times that it is around 1000km. My reflash did help, but I drove it harder as recomended. Now when I want to drive in granny mode, it still runs right unlike before, and when I need some gumption it works better also. It is not perfect, but I have learned to live with it since it doesn't seem like we are getting a proper patch anytime soon. Good luck.

P.S. I think it will always adapt, but the base data you give it has a big role to play in how it reacts to a given situation. Make sure those first 1000km or so are all different kinds of driving, and try and not use cruise control.
ok thanks..I love the cruise control (but not the silly little buttons turning it on etc)... I will leave it off cruise control for a month and give it some welly ! https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/give_it_some_welly

61 - 80 of 95 Posts