Toyota Nation Forum banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but mine will seem not to fully engage and will buckle a little. However it's not a big deal to me. My 14 Camry SE had more of what is being described here. Like being stuck in a high gear and wouldn't move. Especially dangerous when crossing a gap of traffic on a busy street. The issue with my 19 SE seems to be something that I can adapt my driving style to make it not happen, to where it almost never happens, that and perhaps it may be something that goes away with time as the car is broken in. The issue with the 14 SE was unpredictable. I also drove a 16 LE for a few years and it did not have either one of these issues, but the gas pedal felt very touchy. It drove me crazy. It's interesting how every car has it's quirks.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but mine will seem not to fully engage and will buckle a little. However it's not a big deal to me. My 14 Camry SE had more of what is being described here. Like being stuck in a high gear and wouldn't move. Especially dangerous when crossing a gap of traffic on a busy street. The issue with my 19 SE seems to be something that I can adapt my driving style to make it not happen, to where it almost never happens, that and perhaps it may be something that goes away with time as the car is broken in. The issue with the 14 SE was unpredictable.
My 2018 LE sort of hesitated after I put my foot down, and then vroom ! Only driven it back from the Dealer so far, but it was much smoother ind instantaneous after the re-flash.. I think being able to quote the Toyota Service Bulletin number (TSB) let them do it quickly without any arguing... It drives much more like my V6 did now. Wife's 2008 LE is ok but a bit zoomy... Prefer her hydraulic steering to my 'too light' electric steering

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,454 Posts
The Accord is close on leg room? I assume you're over 6'5" or have really long legs 'cuz it's fine for me and I'm 6'4". In the Camry, with my seat in it's lowest position, I still have to duck to look under the rear view mirror and see traffic on my right. I don't have this problem in the Accord. The seat goes low enough that I am looking under the rear view mirror.
I'm 6'4 as well. The Accord's interior made for a short legged person, cuz unless you move the seat way back your knees would hit a door arm rest and hard plastic where the center stack meets the tunnel cover. And even when I move the seat way back and recline it beyond comfort point, I still need to lower it and that makes my sitting position very uncomfortable, like grasshopper style and on top of that a steering column doesn't extend far enough and at that position I can't reach any stereo/screen controls without leaning forward. The gen 10 Accord has a pretty large, but very poorly designed interior, I guess Honda designers never heard about anatomical angles and anatomical sitting position.
The gen 8 Camry has a pretty bad interior geometry too, by far the worst any Camry ever had, but it's more accommodating and comfortable than the Accord's ergonomics.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,454 Posts
I don't think anyone knows for sure, but I have heard a couple different times that it is around 1000km. My reflash did help, but I drove it harder as recomended. Now when I want to drive in granny mode, it still runs right unlike before, and when I need some gumption it works better also. It is not perfect, but I have learned to live with it since it doesn't seem like we are getting a proper patch anytime soon. Good luck.

P.S. I think it will always adapt, but the base data you give it has a big role to play in how it reacts to a given situation. Make sure those first 1000km or so are all different kinds of driving, and try and not use cruise control.
On my my previous Camrys with "learning" transmission it took 3-4 hard accelerations or 5-7 miles of driving in "lil'old lady" driving manner to change transmissions shifting. 1000km is way out of normal range.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm 6'4 as well. The Accord's interior made for a short legged person, cuz unless you move the seat way back your knees would hit a door arm rest and hard plastic where the center stack meets the tunnel cover. And even when I move the seat way back and recline it beyond comfort point, I still need to lower it and that makes my sitting position very uncomfortable, like grasshopper style and on top of that a steering column doesn't extend far enough and at that position I can't reach any stereo/screen controls without leaning forward. The gen 10 Accord has a pretty large, but very poorly designed interior, I guess Honda designers never heard about anatomical angles and anatomical sitting position.
The gen 8 Camry has a pretty bad interior geometry too, by far the worst any Camry ever had, but it's more accommodating and comfortable than the Accord's ergonomics.
I just think this capitalism thing is disproved by the 2019 cars. They are supposed to be what we customers want, but we have to buy what we are offered coz they are all the same, and are ALL skunk low with the wrong dimensions... In my 2008 Camry, the 2 big suitcases fitted just fine, but I have to mess around the get them in my 2018.. If we dont want to crawl and kow-tow to get into our cars, we are been FORCED to buy stupid SUVs which yield higher profit margins for the manufacturers. I think the 2008 was the pinnacle of excellence for the Camry..

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,454 Posts
I just think this capitalism thing is disproved by the 2019 cars. They are supposed to be what we customers want, but we have to buy what we are offered coz they are all the same, and are ALL skunk low with the wrong dimensions... In my 2008 Camry, the 2 big suitcases fitted just fine, but I have to mess around the get them in my 2018.. If we dont want to crawl and kow-tow to get into our cars, we are been FORCED to buy stupid SUVs which yield higher profit margins for the manufacturers. I think the 2008 was the pinnacle of excellence for the Camry..
+100.
I had a 2007 LE and liked it a lot, however, the gen 6 (2007-9) was the second best overall Camry for its time, the best one ever is the gen 7 (2012-14). :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
+100.
I had a 2007 LE and liked it a lot, however, the gen 6 (2007-9) was the second best overall Camry for its time, the best one ever is the gen 7 (2012-14). :)
Your tempter ! Get thee behind me Satan ! If I see a top notch 2014 V6, how I am I going to resist ? I have the 'kill rust' gel which is superb...

·
Registered
353 Posts
If you see a nice clean 2014 XLE V6 or SE V6 don't even think to try to resist, get it ! :)
I have a plan... my wife has short legs (I like em like that), so I could shut my 2018 go kart onto her at a good price, and buy a used V6. What wrong with a 2017 model ?

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,454 Posts
I have a plan... my wife has short legs (I like em like that), so I could shut my 2018 go kart onto her at a good price, and buy a used V6. What wrong with a 2017 model ?
I guess nothing, I just never liked the gen 7.5 "redesigned" exterior and cheapened out interior. The gen 7 12-14 SE V6 and SE special edition is the best and looking Camry ever !

·
Registered
353 Posts
I guess nothing, I just never liked the gen 7.5 "redesigned" exterior and cheapened out interior. The gen 7 12-14 SE V6 and SE special edition is the best and looking Camry ever !
ok thanks for the tip. Wife's 2008 LE has really nice fluffy velour trim on the doors etc, but the 2018 is just plastic plastic plastic... ok off to car gurus to see what is around....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hmmm...none of what you said applies to me and I'm very long legged. I can reach the stereo/screen controls easily, I can see under the rear view mirror, and the steering wheel position is perfect.

No matter what I did in the Camry, I had to duck constantly to see under the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yea Im not totally sold on the TSB fixing it. It seems like first gear is too steep to be starting off midway like when you do a rolling start which causes the "slam" feeling from the torque. Not much they can change about that except make it hold second to a lower vehicle speed, but that's changing the way the car was engineered/designed to operate.
Is your Camry 2018 four or six cylinder? I don't own a Camry yet; was considering buying a 2018 or 19 model, but all these complaints about the SHIFTING has me concerned. My understanding is the torque converter is only used in FIRST GEAR, not 2nd thru 8th. Would a torque converter have some "give" and not a SLAM? Seems downshifting to any gear besides 1st might give a SLAM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2019 XSE 4 cylinder - this latency, then abrupt "grabbing" when accelerating from a coast or light braking (not a full stop) is an issue whether im in sport or miss daisy mode. Have not mentioned it to dealer - but will next visit.

And wow, incredible service this forum provides to allow us to share our joys and issues, thanks for sharing all.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,454 Posts
Hmmm...none of what you said applies to me and I'm very long legged. I can reach the stereo/screen controls easily, I can see under the rear view mirror, and the steering wheel position is perfect.

No matter what I did in the Camry, I had to duck constantly to see under the rear view mirror.
So where do you put your legs? Seriously? The driver's foot well is not deep and pretty low and combined with lowered seat (there is no other way if you are tall) the only way is to move the seat far away from a dash. The other option is to raise a seat to a more or less normal level and recline it to "the brother" position and that is not comfortable either. And it ain't just me. I know a sales person that went for a test drive with me and he admitted with no hesitation that a lot of people, even not exactly tall people are complaining about the gen 10 Accord sitting position.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts