Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey..

I was pleasantly surprised when I found out there was a Corolla forum, and more suprised that it was based in Toronto! Wow...I'm gonna be hanging out here often now!!

Anyway..I have a '91 silver Corolla 4dr auto. It currently has 139K kms on it. I want to improve the handling of it, since I'm more of a turns guy. Also I figure since I can't make it go fast in a straight line, I might as well improve it's cornering speed. Are there any places in Toronto where I can get a FSTB or a Rear-sway bar for it??

Secondly, I want to change the transmission oil in the Corolla. Can I drain out the current oil and put in Redline Synthetic in there?? Or do I have to take it to a professional place so they can flush all the oil and put in the synthetic. I would prefer if I could do it myself.

Thanks all, and if you ever see a '91 silver Corolla with multi coloured taillights screeching thru turns, that was me =D =D

·
Registered
1995 Nissan Maxima
1,937 Posts
I'm about 5-10 min from you. I live at Sheppard/DVP. You coming out on the 13th?

On 2001-10-11 18:57, maddindian wrote:
Hey..

I was pleasantly surprised when I found out there was a Corolla forum, and more suprised that it was based in Toronto! Wow...I'm gonna be hanging out here often now!!

Anyway..I have a '91 silver Corolla 4dr auto. It currently has 139K kms on it. I want to improve the handling of it, since I'm more of a turns guy. Also I figure since I can't make it go fast in a straight line, I might as well improve it's cornering speed. Are there any places in Toronto where I can get a FSTB or a Rear-sway bar for it??

Secondly, I want to change the transmission oil in the Corolla. Can I drain out the current oil and put in Redline Synthetic in there?? Or do I have to take it to a professional place so they can flush all the oil and put in the synthetic. I would prefer if I could do it myself.

Thanks all, and if you ever see a '91 silver Corolla with multi coloured taillights screeching thru turns, that was me =D =D

·
Whine Connoisseur
6,573 Posts
Welcome maddindian :smile:

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how much support there is for the Corolla here. Stick around and enjoy!

I'm sure the other 'rolla guys could help you with suspension and handling toys.

Anish: I think Whiteline has parts if I'm not mistaken. Maybe he can get in on the group buy?

As for the tranny fluid, I was considering the same thing for my car. I understand you need to have a pro flush out the entire system then fill with synth.

Finally, careful with the multicoloured tail lights. Po-po are asses and will give you a nice ticket for $100. I got one :sad:

·
Registered
1995 Nissan Maxima
1,937 Posts
MADDINDIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I KNEW I have seen that name before! You are on my ICQ list from way back when I used to post on maxima.org! I'm Armani on your ICQ list! Gimme a holler the next time you are online!

Come out on the 13th man!

·
operation boro thunder
1,722 Posts
hi! i think i live real close to u too, once i cross steeles i'm at scarborough....and nice to see a 1990'ish AUTOMATIC corolla! our rolla is a A/T too :grin:

welcome

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!!!

I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it to the meet on the 13th, I might have an interview at the same time..if not, I'll make it to the meet.

speeddmmn: I lost my ICQ list quite often so I'm afraid I don't have you on my list anymore. Message me and I'll add you. You were on the maxima.org forums too?? What's your nick over there?? Mine was mAdD MAX..

About my multicoloured tailights, I think you guys are getting the wrong idea. It's not something that I bought. Do you know how < '90 Corollas have orange coloured blinkers on the rear tail-light assembly and the 90+ have red blinkers??

Well on my car, one side is red while the other side is orange. I'm gonna have to make a trip to the junkyard on Steeles soon and pick up a red tail-light assembly and a door handle while I'm at it. =)

Anyone up for a mini-meet in the Scarborough area soon?? =D

·
Noob again!
651 Posts
I thought of changing to the amber blinkers on my 91 sedan as well. Damn I hate red turn signals on cars! Ugh, can't distinguish them from the brake lights especially on old american cars. Okay off topic :razz:

Nice to meet you!

See you at the meeting if you are going.

Kevin

·
Registered
717 Posts
SUp,
firstly, why would you want some expensive red line transmission fluid in your auto tranny? theres no point. Its not like its gonna help, just get oem stuff man. Handling? get a GT-s

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Welcome.
If you want to improve your handling, go to the junkyard and find a 1988-1991 Corolla GTS, and strip it of the suspension (or at least the swaybars). The cars are built off the same chassis, so most of the parts are interchangable. This way you'll have 4 disc brakes. (Oh yeah, pull the brake lines and the proportioning valve)

Hell if it's there, pull the drivetrain/ECU too. Again, the parts should just bolt right up.

edit: I don't actually know how much of the suspension is different, so you might not have to swap much.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 4Aaron GE on 2001-10-15 11:25 ]</font>

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You mean a Corolla GT-S and Sedan are that similar?? Wow..I didn't know that!!

I doubt I'll be able to pull the powertrain/drivetrain since I wouldn't know how to install it. I'll defintely look at the suspension though, in terms of sway bars and or strut bars. I doubt the actual suspension (coils/leafs/etc..) would be similar.

About putting Redline synthetic tranny oil, isn't that better for the tranny? Especially in the winter?? If normal dino oil gives the same results I'll use that, but I was under the impression that Synth tranny oil gives smoother shifts and prolongs tranny life.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I know that above post just didn't say LEAFS as in LEAF suspension.....!!!

i can see it now.. "the ae92 is such a well balanced and supurb handling car because of the finely tuned LEAF suspension..."

YAK
andrew

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you mean it doesn't use leafs? Oh..then what exactly is the suspension in the Corolla (front/back)?? I know they aren't using wishbone susp..

·
Registered
861 Posts
i think nowadays only trucks use leaf springs..
for the ae92 it probably has a macpherson strut set up up front.. don't know about the back tho..

·
Banned
1,438 Posts
for baiscs...coil and spring type. front is mcpherson strut, not too sure of the rear.

hondas, to my knowledge, are the only manufacturer that utel;izes the double wishbone suspension....i could be wrong though....hell, who knows what porsche, bmw and others use.

Nick

·
Registered
861 Posts
if i'm not mistaken, bmw 3-series use mcpherson struts up front and are still praised for their awesome handling

1 - 16 of 16 Posts