Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
90 Celica Alltrac Co
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey , Im new to the forum. I was just wondering how many other people have finished and how many are going to attempt themselves or pay a shop to do the swap and full conversion. I used an 93 MR2 motor with a tranny and rear driveline set up out of a 90 alltrac. It was scary when my car was gutted in the rear end. When i ran FWD with my 3SGTE it was fast but as any body knows about FWD is they dont launch like RWd or AWD and the way they corner is no comparison with AWD. I broke the Celica FWD tranny and was stuck with the decisicion of replace it or upgrade it. So what did you all do to your celicas?
Brett

·
Noob :-)
ST185 & MCV20
507 Posts
If I'm not wrong, you are the third person who did this. (on 5th gen body)
Both cars before yours were on eBay for a while.
IMO, it's an expensive conversion which may worth or not worth depending on the owner.
But you definitely learn and gain something from the conversion.
Money, no. Experience and knowledge, yes.

I honestly don't think it worths doing on 5th gen body since it's easier to accquire a real alltrac (ST185) in the States. On the 6th gen body, it's another story.

·
Registered
90 Celica Alltrac Co
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Absolutely right! There are several times that I wished I had just bought an alltrac and upgraded from there. At first I was just going to do the motor swap. That got expensive enough. Then when the tranny went out, I knew it would happen again. So I was kind of stuck with half of my so called dream car. Basically I had to build the rest so that the first investment would finally pay off. Then again it's a car....the biggest money pit ever. I did become a better mechanic, had to buy more tools, but now I can do anything to that car.
Brett

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,741 Posts
you didnt stick with the old tranny with the motor swap did you? that would be a bad idea...

anyway, if you cant find an alltrac/gt4 and you cna afford the conversion, go for it, and scare the wits out of everyone at the xmas tree drags =)

·
Registered
90 Celica Alltrac Co
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check out my crews website and all the pics are there. In the videos there is a clip of me racing my buddys MR2. Yes, when the motor went in I had a rebuilt original tranny. I didn't want to use the MR2 tranny but it would have been more cost effective to use it in the begining. Then it wouldn't have broke. But the car needs AWD or it becomes a typical FWD with more power than traction.
There is a link on the bottom of every post I leave check it out.
Brett

·
Registered
271 Posts
I checked out your import page. Very nice. I love KYB GR2 struts too! The burnout by the mr2 is wicked, best I've seen. The back fire is a good touch to the clip.

·
Registered
90 Celica Alltrac Co
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thousand_five said:
I checked out your import page. Very nice. I love KYB GR2 struts too! The burnout by the mr2 is wicked, best I've seen. The back fire is a good touch to the clip.
Yeah thanks for checking it out. glad you liked the clips. Did you see the one of he and I racing? that was fun too!

·
Registered
90 Celica Alltrac Co
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
No I made the front brackets with a bottom plate on the seat pan that is slanted and then rectangle steel came through that where the seats used to be and then i built and welded a box around that with a flat top.I welded and bolted those in and then ran a long thick bolt down through bracket into the carriers normal holding spot and put a plate on the bottom of that and nutted the bolt there.

As for the rear I used angle iron to strengthen the sub frame and put a plate on the top kinda encompassing the three sides of the sub frame for about 10" or so. Then i ran a bolt down through the normal holding spot and put a plate on the bottom and nutted it.

The rear suspension lined itself up once i connected the Alltrac strut to the Alltrac nuckle and put the drive line and shafts in .The pumpkin carrier only really wanted be in one spot once all was connected. So we beat the tunnel up a bit and bolted and welded the original carrier bearing brackets in place and hung the driveline. Where i purchased my driveline and rear end system from kindly went back out to the car in the junk yard and cut out the floor pan from the middle of the car so i could have the carrier barckets . Which we pealed layer by layer until we had just the bracket itself not three or four layers of car. Then for more strength i put a T frame of rectangular steel going from side to side to rear. Then covered it up wit a piece of stainless steel.

Hope that helps . I will add some pics of the front brackets on my site. Luckily or skilled some how I came out with a perfect alignment. :clap:
Brett

·
Alltrack Wannabe
639 Posts
ok, I gotcha. :)
Quite a bit of work...
Personally, I would've welded the whole floorpan in, but I'm picky like that.
Good Job. :)
I see you've got that photochop from www.celicatech.com lol
Do you know the story behind it? :D

Thanks Gary.
I STILL couldn't find that page on the site... :p
It might not show on my computer... :shrug:

·
Registered
90 Celica Alltrac Co
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, I dont know the story. What photochop picture are you talking about?

The pics of the conversion are just two thumb nails on my page at the site. One of the suspension on the left side and one of the carrier and pumpkin and T frame .I need to put more pics up.

So do you know where i can get a 3SGTE head used or rebuilt?
E-Mail me
Thanks Brett

·
Alltrack Wannabe
639 Posts
I'm not sure where you can get the head at, sorry.

Regarding the photochop, it's the pic of the GMC with a rally ST185 flying over it... :D

·
Registered
90 Celica Alltrac Co
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah its already been heated and straightened once when my stock radiator cracked and i nursed it home. Bad Call. I put about 8k on it and then deep in second gear it back fired i i was blowing coolant like a head gasket would. I took it to a machine shop here in Bend. The guy said the cam journals are a little out and the its warped a little. So im not gonna keep messin with it. Instead its either a JDM motor or a decent deal on a head and put mine back together. Any help?

·
Alltrack Wannabe
639 Posts
I dont' know where you can go to pick up a head man....
They ususally aren't for sale by themselves. Not for this engine anyways....

·
90 GT
8 Posts
some help

:smokin: I am doing the same swap to alltrac with my 90 GT non-hatch. I will have a 3sgte with all the dressings port,polish,forged pistons exc.... I am going to put a talon 4 bolt rear diff with lsd and then custom driveshaft. What do you think, I know it's alot of work but I want a celi with some character and some balls. With a huge turbo and nos we are aiming for 600-700 hp.what do you think?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Brett, Im curious to know how did you get all the parts you needed for the alltrac conversion? Did you find it at a wrecking yard or did you get it imported from japan? How much was roughly all the parts? Im debating Whether I should save up money, sell my lsd mr2 tranny, and buy the rest of the parts to be an actual alltrac. Damn, I would like to be an alltrac (st). Light weight full of balls.

·
Alltrack Wannabe
639 Posts
oronarosas said:
:smokin: I am doing the same swap to alltrac with my 90 GT non-hatch. I will have a 3sgte with all the dressings port,polish,forged pistons exc.... I am going to put a talon 4 bolt rear diff with lsd and then custom driveshaft. What do you think, I know it's alot of work but I want a celi with some character and some balls. With a huge turbo and nos we are aiming for 600-700 hp.what do you think?

Why don't you just get a Alltrac LSD rear?
That way you can use the stock drivetrain stuff....
Just as strong if not stronger than the Talon diff....

600 -700 hp is ALOT.
It can be done. Guys have gotten much more out of this engine.
But if you're not familiar with building engines and such, and this one specifically, unless you have an open wallet, it's not going to happen right away.
That takes the right tuning to hit....

Hit up
www.celicatech.com
www.alltrac.net [for Alltrac drivetrain parts]
www.mr2oc.com [have to register, but there's TONS of info on the 3SGTE]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts