Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, new member first post, first of all I would just like to say hi.

I just purchased an 89 GTS and while I am somewhat familiar with the 4-AGE engine one thing I am not familiar with is the transmission mated to it. So if you guys wouldn't mind answering a question or two I'd really appreciate it...

First of all, when not in gear the engine revs well and it sounds nice and clean, but while in gear and driving there is a weird sound, not like a grind but, well some sort of weird low tone and I am curious as to waht that is...Another thing is that when in gear, mostly 1st or 2nd (it is a 5speed),if I let off the gas and then give it gas it makes a loud noise and feels like the engine is going to rip off the frame, I figure it's a mount...What do you guys think? Thanks a lot in advance...

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
First thing.. GTS's only came in 5 speed. :D

2nd, my car is not making noises but the motor feels like it shakes a lot.. I'm thinking either motor or tranny mounts. I got 315,000km on mine now, so chances are they're due soon. :(

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
mine did that when the mounts went... when you put your foot on in a low gear (1st or 2nd), it has alot of power and push in the motor, so itpushes against the broken mount and makes the rattling sound your talking about. I'd say check the mounts. on the 4A's the rear mount seems to be the most suseptible to them braking, but also the hardest to check and change.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First of all thanks for the replies...

So the mount is causing that ripping feeling??

How hard is it to replace? Cause I will totally be doing this on my own...

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
89TRDGTS said:
First of all thanks for the replies...

So the mount is causing that ripping feeling??

How hard is it to replace? Cause I will totally be doing this on my own...
Possibly.. you will need to check them first. the back mount can be a pain to get to as the engine has to be leant forward quite a way to remove the rear mount (on a 95 anyway). So long as u got plenty of extension bars and an engine hoist, u should be right. From memory, the best way to get to the rear mount is to take the plastic panels off the bottom and try that way. Like i said tho... best to check them before you buy anything

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh well checking them is something definite...just driving it is unbearable the way it is...Thanks again for all the input...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts