Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
‘96 Previa/‘97 4Runner
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. 1997 4Runner Limited 2WD. Just replaced right side valve cover gasket (and valve cover... don’t ask) today. 270k miles. It was clicking before this repair but I thought an oil leak was a more urgent matter. So, I am wanting to figure out what this is, and where it’s coming from. Anyone have any ideas? Timing belt? Water pump? Injector?

EDIT: Trying to get a video link here... standby.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I downloaded your video and measured the audio, looks like about 0.17 seconds between clicks, which would be 353 rpm. Assuming your idle is at 700 rpm this would be the speed of the cams. Did you check the valve clearance while you had the valve cover off? You can rule out the injectors pretty easily by unplugging one at a time to see if it stops. Also have you or anyone else ever had the cams out and was the split gear properly wound to remove the backlash?

Screenshot at 2019-12-01 22-50-06.png

·
Registered
‘96 Previa/‘97 4Runner
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did not. I do not have the proper tools to do so. Plus, I had the passenger side off, and the sound is pretty clearly coming from the driver side.... I think.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,692 Posts
Could it be the water pump bearing? It seems to be front and center of the engine.
Do you mean the cooling fan bracket bearing? Release the tension off of the fan belt. Grab the fan and see if it will wiggle in any direction. You might even be able to spin it and see if it makes any noise. If there is any side to side movement, the bearing is toast. You can even remove the fan belt and see if the noise goes away. A new bracket is about $128 plus tax. It can be replaced without removing the upper radiator hose and draining coolant. The bearing is not replaceable without destroying the bracket. ;)
https://www.amazon.com/Aisin-FBT-004-Fan-Pulley-Bracket/dp/B0031GE6X2

If the was the water pump bearing, you can pull the timing belt cover off and check the weep hole just under the water pump roller shaft. If you see any signs of coolant (dried or wet), then yer water pump will need to be replaced. Fer the

1 - 6 of 6 Posts