Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, I was just wondering, I found a nice 1986 4th Gen. Celica GT-S, now I just want to know a few things:
1. Is the 3s-GE a good engine to mod? Last time I checked it was a DOHC 2.0 Litre engine with just 135 horses. I was just thinking how much horsepower I would get from putting a TRD supercharger in it.

2. The engine has over 200 KM's on it, but I have seen toyota engines go over the 300 km milestone, should I be worried about the engine? I don't want it to break down in the middle of the road right?

3. Would it be a good idea to do an engine overhaul anyway?

4. Would it be possible for me to remount the engine longitudinally so I eliminate the torque steer?

5. If I cannot mount the engine longitudinally, what can I do to get rid of torque steer? Get a limited slip?

·
Registered
84 Posts
1. It is a very good engine to mod, but there is no TRD S/C for it.

2/3. If you're planning to beat on it on a regular basis, then yes, rebuild it. The JDM 2nd gen 3SGE is rated at 160HP and bolts in/up to your tranny and harness. You'll want an ECU though.

4. You don't know a whole lot about cars. Read up dude, putting the engine longitudally would put the tranny on the side of your car, which is cool for shits and giggles, but it would get boring driving in circles all the time.

5. Yes, LSD will help, but since its got almost equal length axles, torque steer shouldn't be too bad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. What S/C would do good for it? I don't want to turbo it.

2/3. Wow, so you're saying the engine in my soon-to-be car has 160HP?! That's a big surprise!

4. I know more than you think, just a thought out of nowhere. ;) I just don't know too much about Toyotas.

5. I just hate knowing the fact that when I floor the throttle the car will aim right for the tree beside me, especially with 160 horses cuz as my car gets more power, torque steer will be more of an issue would it not? Anything other than an LSD?

·
Boooost
159 Posts
no..the engine in your car doesn't have 160...toylover is talking about a jdm 3sge engine which is rated at 160...if you want more power..then go for 3sgte....and get a mr2 tranny with lsd...if you don't want torque steer....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
turbo_GT said:
no..the engine in your car doesn't have 160...toylover is talking about a jdm 3sge engine which is rated at 160...if you want more power..then go for 3sgte....and get a mr2 tranny with lsd...if you don't want torque steer....
Ok looks like I am pretty stupid about this :( . A 3s-gte would be around 4 grand or so? And wouldn't putting in an MR2 tranny mean that I'd have to convert it to RWD or something? Gawd I feel stupid... :eek:

BTW, would you happen to know how much HP I got in the car? I can't find the numbers anywhere!

EDIT** OOhh I understand now, toylover is saying that if I want more horsepower, I should swap for a JDM 3s-ge, and you are saying that I should get a 3sgte for even more power. Thanks guys. :)

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
^ You can get a 3sgte for less than $2k. That is for a full clip. With a tranny and everything. MR2's are midengine... RWD.... so it is in a way basically a FWD setup. Your engine is above your drive tires... only it is behind you ;). The other tranny option is the all-trac tranny.... which you can read in the sticky (thank god we have one now) that it is not worth doing. Most people do the "half-trac" which is the 3sgte... but no awd.

BTW: 3sgte is turbo'd ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, so for the engine, mounts,tranny, and etc,... it's less than 2000 dollars?

Fuck that is awesome, yeah I know any Toyota engine with a T in it is turbocharged, and anything with a Z is supercharged.

But hey guys, would a 3s-gze work? (or whatever that engine in the 1988 MR2 is called). I don't like turbos that much.

·
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
The MR2's that were supercharged weren't hte 3s series motor. They came with the 4agze. So you COULD put it in there... but it would be a power loss (from the 3sgte) and it would take A LOT of fabricating parts. People have gone from 4a to 3s in MKI MR2's... but I dunno about the other way around... its kind of a downgrade.

·
Registered
443 Posts
4th_genGTS said:
Ok looks like I am pretty stupid about this :( . A 3s-gte would be around 4 grand or so? And wouldn't putting in an MR2 tranny mean that I'd have to convert it to RWD or something? Gawd I feel stupid... :eek:

BTW, would you happen to know how much HP I got in the car? I can't find the numbers anywhere!

EDIT** OOhh I understand now, toylover is saying that if I want more horsepower, I should swap for a JDM 3s-ge, and you are saying that I should get a 3sgte for even more power. Thanks guys. :)

:lol: :rice:

·
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
I know its not gonna happen... but I'm gonna suggest it anyways. BEAMS 3SGE....... **Drroooolll**

·
Reppin my Home
343 Posts
I think your getting yourself into something that your not ready for. Trust me, just because you have the money, doesn't mean you should go engine swappin` and tranny mountin` :D

But of course, best of luck. I recommend just buying a base celica, learning from it, and moving on to bigger and better things.

:woowoo:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, I decided to buy a GT and swap a 3sge JDM engine later. I never mentioned anything about swapping a BEAMS engine in there, I just want to know what it is, is there something bothering you that I should know of? Because I JUST want to learn, besides, who said I had the money?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts