Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. :hi:

My first job out of Highschool was a lot boy at Crystal Lake (Illinois) Toyota Volkswagon back in 1979. I worked there 5 years and gained a huge respect for the Toyota brand. The Volkswagons broke like kids toys, the Toyota owners were rarely seen after purchase and even then it was almost always something benign like oil changes and routine maintenance.

In 2007 my mother wanted to get a new car she was going to get a Ford Fiesta but I insisted she get a Corolla instead. Mom can no longer drive so for the most part the Corolla is my second (now 3rd) car and I couldn't be happier with it.

In the meantime a friend of mine had a 2002 Toyota Highlander AWD Limited with 187,000 miles he purchased from his sister for $3750. Now with 203,000 miles it died on the road, he had it towed to a shop and they told him the tranny was bad and would cost $3750 to fix. He didn't want to deal with it anymore & didn't think it was worth putting that kind of money in it. He was just going to give it to the shop owner and look for a new car. I begged him to give it to me for a small fee instead. Now it's mine.

It has 203,000 miles, starts and runs great, has an exhaust leak and 4 trouble codes but passed it's last emissions test. Interior's good shape, leather seats, Alpine stereo. I really haven't even looked into it yet with the exception of pulling the transmission dipstick for inspection. The fluid looked good, was not burnt smelling, no metal or clutch debris noted. Makes me think the trans. isn't bad but still have to look into it further. I'll be putting a post in the Highlander Forum next.

·
Lost to follow up!
96 Camry Coupes
12,154 Posts
:welcome: to TN Johnny :thumbsup:

Good Luck with getting that Highlander up and going again :rockon:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts