Toyota Nation Forum banner

HID. everyone fine with PnP kits ?

4335 18
debating on getting kit with fuse and connect to battery or just a strict PnP ? seems like everyone has been fine with the PnP kits??

any issues at all people? better to use fuse kits with auto lights? is it more about being safe and not frying factory harness?

How many here have burnt up their factory wiring from HID kits ??
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2018 Camry XSE 6Cyl.
574 Posts
No problems here..... No fires yet.... I have only had them for a few months

35 w 6500k DDM Tuning Kit. I personally would have used a harness if I had installed a 55 w kit.

· Mr. Roo
Super Moderator
13,517 Posts
The electrical problems won't show up until later. The increased load at startup causes premature wear in the switches and electronic.

I never really understood why people think head lights are something to cheap out. Just get the relay and wire it in, or leave it alone. Besides, the other drivers on the road don't like to see your blinding blue (6000k+) lights.

· Registered
2018 Camry XSE 6Cyl.
574 Posts
How would you know what happens to the electronics over time? Can you please show me statistics? Can you show me a 2012 Camry with fried electronics from not using a relay? I guess I will just be "cheap" until I see proof that I need it.
Also what does the relay have to do with making the lights any more "blinding" And if you really knew your a$$ from a hole in the ground you would know that 6000k bulbs are actually less bright than 5000k or less bulbs.

· Registered
2009 Corolla LE
577 Posts
so with a 2006 camry, do we need to put the connector to the relay opposite because of the polarity? doing my cousins car thats why

· Registered
2009 Corolla LE
577 Posts
Well he had a kit that was PnP and it had to be reversed. He wants to put a new kit and stick a relay as well. Im just not sure if i need to reverse it or not

· Registered
127 Posts
Well he had a kit that was PnP and it had to be reversed. He wants to put a new kit and stick a relay as well. Im just not sure if i need to reverse it or not
What does this mean? I installed mine today and dont understand the "reverse" comments. Ill be more than happy to help of I can get this explained...

My positives went to positives, negatives to negatives...

In reference to the 2005 I had, it was the same way. I assume the 2006 headlights would be the same as the 2012...projector housings.

· Registered
2015 Camry XSE V6
619 Posts
I don't get the reverse comments either :)

Here is :my2cents:

HID's do have a higher startup draw than their rated value, ie - 35 watts, 55 watts. If *anything* goes wrong with the electrical system on your shiny new 2012, your dealer will try to put the blame on your aftermarket HID's. With the relay the stock wiring is only used as the trigger to turn the lights on and off.

I like to be on the safe side and install the relay harness. They are not that expensive, and not hard to install. They'll also cut down (or eliminate) misfires and flickering.

I have heard of many users having no problems using the stock wiring with HID's. But I wold hate to be the one footing the bill for an electrical problem that may, or may not have been caused by your aftermarket HID's.

· Resident Nutcase
12,072 Posts
On the whole wire-harness or not discussion....You just spent a boat load of cash on a new car, and your going to as cheap as possible on sophisticated electronics??? Yes, most of the time on modern cars, you can get away with not using a relay harness with HID's, but why chance it? Spend the extra $30 and get a proper wire harness to protect your multi-thousand dollar investment.

How would you know what happens to the electronics over time? Can you please show me statistics? Can you show me a 2012 Camry with fried electronics from not using a relay? I guess I will just be "cheap" until I see proof that I need it.
Also what does the relay have to do with making the lights any more "blinding" And if you really knew your a$$ from a hole in the ground you would know that 6000k bulbs are actually less bright than 5000k or less bulbs.
Cool it, there is no need for that kind of attitude.

Yes, 5k put out a couple hundred more lumens than 6k, but its still a lot more than halogen. And usually the people that use 6k bulbs have the headlights aimed wrong (because they usually don't know any better, that's why they got 6k in the first place) or use PnP bulbs in reflector housings ie blinding.

· Registered
2018 Camry XSE 6Cyl.
574 Posts
On the whole wire-harness or not discussion....You just spent a boat load of cash on a new car, and your going to as cheap as possible on sophisticated electronics??? Yes, most of the time on modern cars, you can get away with not using a relay harness with HID's, but why chance it? Spend the extra $30 and get a proper wire harness to protect your multi-thousand dollar investment.

Cool it, there is no need for that kind of attitude.

Yes, 5k put out a couple hundred more lumens than 6k, but its still a lot more than halogen. And usually the people that use 6k bulbs have the headlights aimed wrong (because they usually don't know any better, that's why they got 6k in the first place) or use PnP bulbs in reflector housings ie blinding.
I am cool..... If I was upset I would have typed in all CAPS ..... I just see a pattern time and time again that people think that just because they spent more money (probably mommy and daddy's money) that it is better. I appreciate their opinions, but don't try to convey them as facts, unless you have proof.

Wait a minute..... You mean my 6k headlights aren't supposed to be aimed at the moon. Oh my !!!!! maybe I can have someone who bought 5k lights come by and show me how to aim them?

· Registered
2009 Corolla LE
577 Posts
I am cool..... If I was upset I would have typed in all CAPS ..... I just see a pattern time and time again that people think that just because they spent more money (probably mommy and daddy's money) that it is better. I appreciate their opinions, but don't try to convey them as facts, unless you have proof.
i agree. I have a $90 kit on my corolla and not one problem. Its a PnP like the camry but i stuck a relay just in case. Im only on this thread because im helping my cousin out and spending $300 isnt worth it when a regular that costs $90 is fine

· Resident Nutcase
12,072 Posts
Wait a minute..... You mean my 6k headlights aren't supposed to be aimed at the moon. Oh my !!!!! maybe I can have someone who bought 5k lights come by and show me how to aim them?
You missed my point, I'm not saying everyone that uses 6k bulbs are like that, but a lot of people fall for the ebay BS about HID's. They just throw a 6k hid kit into the headlight and call it done, thinking that's all that needs to be done. And a lot of times, they don't know the difference between different types of HID's. I'm not saying everyone is like that, but a lot are.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.