Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Kohari1
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I install a pair of HID lights the other day on my 08 Highlander Hybrid Limited. Looks great and works 90% fine.

The HID harness is powered directly from the battery.

Problem is that when I switch to AUTO the lights flicker for a second and then turn off.:headbang:

If I try to turn the headlight on then I have to turn the switch very hast since the rod goes from OFF -> AUTO -> . -> Headlamp

Any suggestions?

I can post a video if it helps...

·
Registered
453 Posts
thats because when you have the lights on AUTO, the HIDs are not getting full power. The AUTO setting is for the daytime running lights and those originally are your stock headlight bulbs but at a lower voltage. Since you replaced your lights with the HIDs, at that setting, they arent getting enought power to fire up and thus flickering. Use the search button and read up on it.

·
Kohari1
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the comment eddiefromcali!!
But I have it connected directly from to my battery... I think it shouldn't be doing that.

·
Registered
453 Posts
So if you have it connected to the battery, why does it work off the light switch? The light switch controls the relay, that relay requires full power in order to function properly. Unless you set up your lights completely independent from the light switch (Its own independent switch) it wont work properly. You could also go to the dealer and have them disable the DRL function. Doing that would not turn on the DRL when the switch is on AUTO and will get rid of the flickering.

·
Registered
266 Posts
dont use the Auto button. switch all the way to headlight on everytime you turn on your HIDs. that's the only way unless you disable DRL

·
Kohari1
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want to disable it but I'm not sure how to. I've tried the fuse, but none of them are for DRL.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I want to disable it but I'm not sure how to. I've tried the fuse, but none of them are for DRL.
There is no fuse that gets rid of the DRL...this is a dealer programmable option. Take it in, explain what you want and bring your manual with you to show them its possible.

·
Registered
110 Posts
dont use the Auto button. switch all the way to headlight on everytime you turn on your HIDs. that's the only way unless you disable DRL
what you said is true i also had the same problem in fact if i let it flickers for long enouph it would cause all my warning lights to activate, check engine, tracktion i mean all warning i took them of am will put bi-xenon projectors on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Someone told me that most of the Bi-Xenon will take care of the problem as long as you don't use auto to turn on the headlight. is it ture? But i have a question what if i only turn on the parking light does my headlight turn on or not?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Someone told me that most of the Bi-Xenon will take care of the problem as long as you don't use auto to turn on the headlight. is it ture? But i have a question what if i only turn on the parking light does my headlight turn on or not?
if you have DRL, it will flicker even if you set it at the "parking light" swtich. oh , yes, your DRL will come on.

to set parking light only when you are parked
-shut engine off
-ebrake on
-switch to parking light
-engine on/off *optional*

·
Registered
110 Posts
Does anyone know if the settings are permanently saved even when the battery is disconnected?

If dealer sets DRL to off and other customizable settings, are these settings retained even if the battery gets disconnected or do i have to go back to the dealer everytime i lose power from battery?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thanks Sanf. I will give that a try this weekend. Do i have to do that everytime when i shutoff and startup my car?
hmm. you can try parking your car, turn the lights off, apply the ebrake and turn the knob to parking only. i don't remember, let me know if that will work also .... thx

·
Registered
110 Posts
retrofit projectors

what you said is true i also had the same problem in fact if i let it flickers for long enouph it would cause all my warning lights to activate, check engine, tracktion i mean all warning i took them of am will put bi-xenon projectors on.
Mrhonesty, if you do a retrofit, please post a write up! :D I also wanted to do a retrofit but trying to find cheap HL headlamps off ebay is the biggest hurdle.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Mrhonesty, if you do a retrofit, please post a write up! :D I also wanted to do a retrofit but trying to find cheap HL headlamps off ebay is the biggest hurdle.
i might be on to something with a company it is a bixenon projector wich is what we need low and hogh been in 1 projector there is no need to bucher the headlight to install them correctly they cost about $350 and they come with 2 projectors 2 ballast 2 50w bulbs and all the hard ware you need will test it out if it works well i will post a write up not the best but i will surely give it my best. just thinking on how to get rid of the stobe effect when i have the headlight set to auto, also i will add a strip of lights so that it have the audi look.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts