Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Sim Sima
Toyota Corolla
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Toyota Corolla and i just installed HID light. The problem is i have to switch on the lights before i start the car. If i start the car the HID flicker. I have already installed the required harness and the light do not flicker when the car is running.. Could someone help me on what to do....

·
Registered
510 Posts
i dont really understand the problem.Are you saying that when you turn on your lights and then start the car, your lights flicker? Your battery can only provide so much current. The starter pulls alot of current by itself and if your new lights draw more current than stock you could be drawing more current than the battery can provide.Is the wattage of your new lights higher than the old ones? Does your new wiring have relays and fuses? If not I would check to make sure your wiring is not getting to hot ( to high a current draw for the wire size).

·
Sim Sima
Toyota Corolla
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If i turn on the car, the lights will flicker but if i turn the lights on then turn the car on the lights won't flicker. I've already installed a relay with its own fuse. I'm wondering if the flickering is being caused by the sensor of the day time running lights..

·
Registered
730 Posts
you need to disable the daytime running lights. there are about 20 threads in this forum about doing just that.

the flickering is normal with hid's due to the way toyota made the drl system. it pulses power to the headlights to illuminate them at a lower light level. since hid's operate differently, you see the flashing, instead of a dimmer light. just follow one of the drl disable threads on here and all will be good.

·
98 Rolla
04 Acura TL 6spd nav
73 Posts
you need to disable the daytime running lights. there are about 20 threads in this forum about doing just that.

the flickering is normal with hid's due to the way toyota made the drl system. it pulses power to the headlights to illuminate them at a lower light level. since hid's operate differently, you see the flashing, instead of a dimmer light. just follow one of the drl disable threads on here and all will be good.
Is there any way to put in some relays that allow you to have HID daytime running lights? There was a shop that said they could do it, plus have hi/lo HID for me but they never got back to me.
But I guess since it sends pulses, there is no way around this..? I guess I don't know enough about this.

·
Registered
730 Posts
disable daytime running lights and if I see your car with HID in the reflector housings I'll run you off the road myself. HID's ONLY go into projectors.
then what would a d2r go in? since its made for a hid reflector housing... :D

·
Registered
730 Posts
Is there any way to put in some relays that allow you to have HID daytime running lights? There was a shop that said they could do it, plus have hi/lo HID for me but they never got back to me.
But I guess since it sends pulses, there is no way around this..? I guess I don't know enough about this.
no there is no way around it. you have to disable the drl's for them to work. i would also suggest not ordering anything over 6000k, infact i highly recommend 4000k-5000k max. after they are installed and working correctly, please reaim your headlights. the cutoff will be higher with the hids than the stock bulbs. i would recommend reaiming them so the cut off is at or lower than the trim/body line of most vehicles. this is how mine are, and no one that knows me has complained of being blinded by glare from my car.

·
98 Rolla
04 Acura TL 6spd nav
73 Posts
Can you explain what you did there or where u got those housings? I would love to have that set up. I got halogen low HID highs pointing low in stock housing and the light pattern sucks. HIDs in halogen housings are becoming pretty popular where I'm at right now cause of this little shop that does it pretty cheap, probably not a great thing. Your set up looks nice and I'm looking for one of those front bumpers for my rolla in black too.

In the description of these headlights it looks like they are hid housings but I'm not sure. I will email the seller.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Anzo...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Beware of pigs
Little Pig
2,446 Posts
Can you explain what you did there or where u got those housings? I would love to have that set up. I got halogen low HID highs pointing low in stock housing and the light pattern sucks. HIDs in halogen housings are becoming pretty popular where I'm at right now cause of this little shop that does it pretty cheap, probably not a great thing. Your set up looks nice and I'm looking for one of those front bumpers for my rolla in black too.
This is my custom retrofit + 2001 front end conversion and standard response to all HID threads. :D

Here's the recipe:
FX35 projectors - FX-R projectors from TRFS is better suited for new retros
Any 2001 headlights from ebay
drop in 3157 amber LED bulb, must be designed for front fitment
factory fogs, again from ebay
Ocular shroud @ TRFS
Philips 35w ballast/85122+ 4300k capsule - I use only the best :D
3 months of couple hours per day in the basement :lol:

I did this for electricity savings, not just looks or output or coolness.

Since I used a bi-xenon projector, 9005 bulb is used for DRL only. I'll put in a drop in LED unit once I can ascertain the gains to be had and find a unit bright enough.

·
98 Rolla
04 Acura TL 6spd nav
73 Posts
This is my custom retrofit + 2001 front end conversion and standard response to all HID threads. :D

Here's the recipe:
FX35 projectors - FX-R projectors from TRFS is better suited for new retros
Any 2001 headlights from ebay
drop in 3157 amber LED bulb, must be designed for front fitment
factory fogs, again from ebay
Ocular shroud @ TRFS
Philips 35w ballast/85122+ 4300k capsule - I use only the best :D
3 months of couple hours per day in the basement :lol:

I did this for electricity savings, not just looks or output or coolness.

Since I used a bi-xenon projector, 9005 bulb is used for DRL only. I'll put in a drop in LED unit once I can ascertain the gains to be had and find a unit bright enough.
Very nice, good work!

Dang you put a lot of money into that front end for just some electricity savings wow. Seems a lot more complicated than it looks but it looks really nice. I'm still confused exactly how it worked with the wiring and stuff. Do you have a post where you went in depth by any chance? Also, how hard is it to fit a 2001 front bumper on the 98? And can you post some pics of the front lit up by any chance? thank you

·
Registered
730 Posts
so now there is an easier way to do HID retrofits, but they are cheaper chinese units. ive seen a few of these in person and online as well. the light output is pretty good and has a very sharp cutoff. they are the g1 and g3 hid projection units. they are made to be dropped into your existing headlight housing. no cutting, just open it up, drop these in and wire it up. seem pretty simple. ill be buying a set of these to test and use for my low profile headlights for my miata. possibly for my corolla as well for its 01 s front end. but since they are realitivly cheap, i expect the hid units with them to be crap. so i will prolly use my current DDM tuning ones.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PnP-HID-Bi-Xeno...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27b2e3d006

http://cgi.ebay.com/PnP-HID-Bi-Xeno...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27b4e2aa0c

these can be found on ebay by searching g1 projector or g3 projector.

·
Registered
730 Posts
i imagine it would in a fluted glass or plastic lens, but in something like our's for the corolla's i doubt it would. they seem to be used for retrofits into cars with clear lenses mostly. i would be using them with a low profile pop up light for my miata first. if i like them, ill buy a set for my 01 corolla s front end. in the miata they wont have a housing, but just have a mounting plate with adjustments for proper aiming.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts