Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 424 Posts

·
Sap
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmm... after I fix the squirrel spotter, seems like the glare didn't go away. For those that installed a conversion kit and fixed the spotters, did the glare go away?

I fixed the spotters as posted in the thread linked below.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187666&page=5

Right now, the glare seems worst than before I fixed it. :ugh3:

·
Here and there...
5,838 Posts
Yes, the glare is still there but it is a lot better after I pushed down the squirrel spotters.
(but definately NOT worse like yours)
It's not a perfect cut-off line like whitechocolate has because his is a retrofit.
But for the price I have to paid for a retrofit......I am happy with my kit.
I get what I paid for.
This is my understanding:
Retrofit HID cost between $800-$1000 if you don't know how to install it will cost even more
HID kit cost between $150-$300
The choice is yours.

·
Tech Lover
232 Posts
I still have a slight bit of glare. There is still some light escaping through the squirrel spotter holes in my setup. I can see it when I drive up close to the wall. I will be taking out the headlamp assembly and using some JB weld to completely cover the squirrel spotter holes. I just got to wait till I get back home to do it. I'm graduating with Comp. Sci. B.S. this Saturday!!!!!

Also it could be that your headlamp assembly is projecting the light too far up. If you compare with OEM HID setups, the light only goes up to a certain point on the road. I adjusted the cutoff by simply using the turning the adjuster on the back of the headlamp. This helped glare alot. If you want more info let me know I found out how to adjust cutoff using the factory repair manual.

·
Sap
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
reprod said:
I still have a slight bit of glare. There is still some light escaping through the squirrel spotter holes in my setup. I can see it when I drive up close to the wall. I will be taking out the headlamp assembly and using some JB weld to completely cover the squirrel spotter holes. I just got to wait till I get back home to do it. I'm graduating with Comp. Sci. B.S. this Saturday!!!!!

Also it could be that your headlamp assembly is projecting the light too far up. If you compare with OEM HID setups, the light only goes up to a certain point on the road. I adjusted the cutoff by simply using the turning the adjuster on the back of the headlamp. This helped glare alot. If you want more info let me know I found out how to adjust cutoff using the factory repair manual.
Gratz on your B.S. :)

Yeah, if you can point me to the right place in the repair manual, I will take a look at it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
u could bend the flap all the way up so u can see the hole. cover up the hole w/ some jbweld and then bend the flap back down. hybridamp covered his up w/ only jbweld and his has an almost perfect cutoff.

but yeah... as for me, there's still a bit of glare, but as for now i'm too busy to do anything about it so i just aimed them lower.

·
Sap
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lininator515 said:
u could bend the flap all the way up so u can see the hole. cover up the hole w/ some jbweld and then bend the flap back down. hybridamp covered his up w/ only jbweld and his has an almost perfect cutoff.

but yeah... as for me, there's still a bit of glare, but as for now i'm too busy to do anything about it so i just aimed them lower.
But to do that, you would have to remove and open up the headlight assembly, correct?
I don't think I will be able to do that, as I am not good with modifying stuff like that.

·
Here and there...
5,838 Posts
sappy74 said:
But to do that, you would have to remove and open up the headlight assembly, correct?
I don't think I will be able to do that, as I am not good with modifying stuff like that.
I am with you. I am affraid that I after I opened and put it back it won't seal correctly.
I am one of those guys that open up a computer and after I put it back I always ended up with a few extrac screws :confused: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Here and there...
5,838 Posts
reprod said:

CONGRATULATION!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
lininator515 said:

What about bending the spotters up, using aluminized duct tape and then bendin the spotters back down? Is there enough room to work in the housing w/out having to remove it? JBWeld can be tricky to apply, but a piece of ADT might be easier to manipulkate in that tight a sspace...

·
Registered
131 Posts
07 SE said:
What about bending the spotters up, using aluminized duct tape and then bendin the spotters back down? Is there enough room to work in the housing w/out having to remove it? JBWeld can be tricky to apply, but a piece of ADT might be easier to manipulkate in that tight a sspace...
i was thinking about just bending the flap back w/ a flat screwdriver and applying the jb weld w/ a clotheshanger or a chopstick. no need to open up the headlights or anything. aluminized duct tape would be really hard to place perfectly onto the hole without opening up the headlights. i think jsm did that before his retro, but he had to open up the headlights

·
Sap
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tangerine said:
The bulbs can play a role in glare as well.
I installed the 6000k kit from Xenon Depot. It may or may not be the bulb.. but I don't know.

·
Here and there...
5,838 Posts
sappy74 said:
I installed the 6000k kit from Xenon Depot. It may or may not be the bulb.. but I don't know.
From what everyone here said your Xenon Depot kit is the best kit out there. So you're right, it can't be the bulb.

·
Tech Lover
232 Posts
lammydi said:
CONGRATULATION!!!
Thanks lammydi. I been out enjoyin' my last few days on campus and I havent been able to keep up with TN too much.

I havent had a chance to drive in front of my car yet to get an approximation of glare but I have a feeling it is there. I was going to remove the front bumper (or get a friendly Toyota tech to do it for me off-hours) and cover up those spotter holes with JB weld.

I have never worked with aluminized tape so I don't know how to work it without opening the headlights (NO NO for me). I figure with JBweld you have atleast 2-3 minutes to work it around before it gets hard.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
4,305 Posts
You can just use a stick or a small screwdriver with some JB weld on it and just carefully stick it in there and put it on the hole.

Congrats on the degree, reprod. I'm applying this week for graduation for next Spring with my Finance degree. :)

·
Sap
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do you have to remove the flap to apply the JB weld?
Cuz since I pushed the flap down, I can't see the holes in the cutoff shield.

·
Tech Lover
232 Posts
Congrats white3chocolate, just one more year :)

I remember hybridamp saying that he made his own type of tool that allowed him to get around the flap and apply it on the other side of the squirrel spotter hole. I was thinking about trying this approach.

Another option is simply prying the flap gently back up and applying the JBweld directly. You can push the flap back down.

·
Sap
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lininator515 said:
hybridamp just used a clotheshanger. easy enough :thumbup:
He did also took off the bumper and headlights to do that.
I was hoping for an easier option without removing neither. :D

1 - 20 of 424 Posts
About this Discussion
423 Replies
94 Participants
d33bop
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing