Toyota Nation Forum banner
41 - 60 of 424 Posts

·
2008 Camry Hybrid
2008 Camry Hybrid
Joined
·
1,527 Posts
LNGasMan you are an extremely valuable asset to TN. I'd like to thank you personally for that outstanding pictured-article of the process which you carefully took the time to create.

If you lived in my area, I'd have bought you a jug of any beer you wanted! :clap:
 

·
Here and there...
Camry 07
Joined
·
5,838 Posts
Yazovets said:
LNGasMan you are an extremely valuable asset to TN. I'd like to thank you personally for that outstanding pictured-article of the process which you carefully took the time to create.

If you lived in my area, I'd have bought you a jug of any beer you wanted! :clap:
I will definately buy LNGasMan a jug of beer!!! Thank you very much. :thumbup:
 

·
Sap
07 Camry XLE
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
lammydi said:
I will definately buy LNGasMan a jug of beer!!! Thank you very much. :thumbup:
Oooh, can I get at least a glass of beer also? :D
 

·
Here and there...
Camry 07
Joined
·
5,838 Posts
A huge thank you to LNGasMan and Sappy74!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
I was brave enough to take out my bumper and headlight to fix the squirrle spotters!!!
I ran into a small problem....I already push down the metal flap and it not easy to pull that thing back so I was able to use this device called "Dental Pik"

Now I got a clean cut off line. Again, thank you very much for those DIY instructions.
 

·
Sap
07 Camry XLE
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
lammydi said:
A huge thank you to LNGasMan and Sappy74!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
I was brave enough to take out my bumper and headlight to fix the squirrle spotters!!!
I ran into a small problem....I already push down the metal flap and it not easy to pull that thing back so I was able to use this device called "Dental Pik"

Now I got a clean cut off line. Again, thank you very much for those DIY instructions.
No way!! lol... that's exactly what I used to pull the flap back up!! :lol:
 

·
Here and there...
Camry 07
Joined
·
5,838 Posts
sappy74 said:
No way!! lol... that's exactly what I used to pull the flap back up!! :lol:
Dude, I wish you told me before I opend the whole thing up....for like 5 minutes I was freaking out because I can't get the metal flap back out. I tried the coat hanger but that didn't work for obvious reason. So I figured some of the members here might find this Dental Pik can be useful in this case. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Question about flap

After you closed the slot using metal and jb weld, did you then
folded flap back down flush with cutoff sheild?........




LNGasMan said:
Here are the pics for my last post:


OEM Squirril Spotter position



Slot under squirril spotter



Tool I used to reach inside.



Soda can and JB Weld in place.


New light cut-off line without glare boxes above the cut-off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
I wonder if you can cover the squirrel spotter with a strong flat magnet (will it stick on?). The magnet should be able to withstand the heat and it would be a non-permanent solution.

Maybe you can cut the magnet to size (with a dremel) and slot it right in so that it can't be jarred loose. Just a thought.
 

·
Sap
07 Camry XLE
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Samk said:
After you closed the slot using metal and jb weld, did you then
folded flap back down flush with cutoff sheild?........
At this point, I guess it doesn't matter if the flap is down or not since the squirrel spotter has already been covered. There will be no light going through there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Thanks alot, I guess the flap is there to control how much light
gets to the spotters. Also something I have with mine hid's is
if you squat down in front of car the lights, for another word
get brighter and dimmer as you move up and down. When the
flap is factory it didnt do that. any ideas?..........

Also when driving in front of car from the car I in front is looks
like lights flicker on and off both at differant angles.



sappy74 said:
At this point, I guess it doesn't matter if the flap is down or not since the squirrel spotter has already been covered. There will be no light going through there.
 

·
Here and there...
Camry 07
Joined
·
5,838 Posts
sappy74 said:
At this point, I guess it doesn't matter if the flap is down or not since the squirrel spotter has already been covered. There will be no light going through there.
You're right...but I figure it wouldn't hurt to push the metal flap back down to avoid a direct light and heat from the bulb to the soda can piece and jb weld. I was just hoping a metal flap be a barrier between the bulb and jb weld/soda can piece.
Here is what the cut-off line look like.
 

·
Sap
07 Camry XLE
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
lammydi said:
You're right...but I figure it wouldn't hurt to push the metal flap back down to avoid a direct light and heat from the bulb to the soda can piece and jb weld. I was just hoping a metal flap be a barrier between the bulb and jb weld/soda can piece.
Yeah, it wouldn't hurt to push it back down.

Here's a little something I put together, hope it helps with understanding what's going on inside the projector.

The red lines are the lights coming out through the squirrel spotter hole. Halogens are not too bright, so after getting reflected off the shield, more lumens are reduced thus not causing glare. HIDs are very bright, so even after getting reflected off the shield, the reduced lumens are still greater then the max lumens produced from a halogen bulb.


Simply pushing the flap down does NOT fix the squirrel spotter situation.


The bottom two pics are with the squirrel spotter hole covered. At this point, you can leave the flap at it's original angle or you can push it back down, it will not affect the light output. But as lammydi said, pushing it down can create a barrier between the heat to the soda can and jb-weld.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Wow what's a valuable post. I'll vote for sticky or at least at DIY in title so people can search easily.

Thanks everyone for clearing squirrel spotters mystery :)
 

·
Sap
07 Camry XLE
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
yeuemhoai said:
Wow what's a valuable post. I'll vote for sticky or at least at DIY in title so people can search easily.
Sounds good.

yeuemhoai said:
Thanks everyone for clearing squirrel spotters mystery :)
That's what this forum is for... right? :)
 

·
Registered
2011 Camry SE
Joined
·
290 Posts
sappy74 said:
Yeah, it wouldn't hurt to push it back down.

Here's a little something I put together, hope it helps with understanding what's going on inside the projector.

The red lines are the lights coming out through the squirrel spotter hole. Halogens are not too bright, so after getting reflected off the shield, more lumens are reduced thus not causing glare. HIDs are very bright, so even after getting reflected off the shield, the reduced lumens are still greater then the max lumens produced from a halogen bulb.


Simply pushing the flap down does NOT fix the squirrel spotter situation.


The bottom two pics are with the squirrel spotter hole covered. At this point, you can leave the flap at it's original angle or you can push it back down, it will not affect the light output. But as lammydi said, pushing it down can create a barrier between the heat to the soda can and jb-weld.


Nice diagrams!

Once the squirrel finder slot is covered up the flap position doesn't matter as long as it is not bent upwards. Last Sunday, I was playing around with the angle of the flap to see what difference it made and the damn flap broke off from bending it too much:cursin:. Once off, more of the squirrel finder slot needed covering up. A little more JB Weld did the trick and I retested the light out-put - no difference from before the flap broke off. So I took my other headlight off and broke the flap off in that side as well.

I kind of wish I would have just broke it off in the first place. It would have made covering up the squirrel finder slot much easier.

Only problem I see driving with the squirrel finders covered is the unlighted street signs are harder to see unless I have my fogs turned on. Gotta have the hi-beams on when out of the city. I put HIR 9011's in for the hi-beams and am very pleased with the increased output...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Very nice diagrams, they really explain whats going on inside
the projector housing.

Thanks...................
 

·
Sap
07 Camry XLE
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
LNGasMan said:
Nice diagrams!

Once the squirrel finder slot is covered up the flap position doesn't matter as long as it is not bent upwards. Last Sunday, I was playing around with the angle of the flap to see what difference it made and the damn flap broke off from bending it too much:cursin:. Once off, more of the squirrel finder slot needed covering up. A little more JB Weld did the trick and I retested the light out-put - no difference from before the flap broke off. So I took my other headlight off and broke the flap off in that side as well.

I kind of wish I would have just broke it off in the first place. It would have made covering up the squirrel finder slot much easier.

Only problem I see driving with the squirrel finders covered is the unlighted street signs are harder to see unless I have my fogs turned on. Gotta have the hi-beams on when out of the city. I put HIR 9011's in for the hi-beams and am very pleased with the increased output...
Thanks...
So far, I don't have any troubles with road signs... maybe cuz I live in the city and there are road lamp post all over.
 

·
Joined the dark side. :D
Joined
·
8,839 Posts
Is it possible to remove and seperate each pieces of the headlight? So we can access to this squizzel more easily?

Very nice work with the pictures and diagrams. U guys rock.
 
41 - 60 of 424 Posts
Top