Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, does any one know what type of After Market hid's are good? I dont want a retro fit Set.
I was looking at the PILOT HID and I dont know if its good or Generic, never really heard of it but looks Legit.
Here are some pics.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
I hope you're not thinking of putting those D2S bulbs right into your headlamps without modification...

As for brands, I would stick with well known brands like Philips, Hella, Osram, Narva, or Sylvania. I never heard of Pilot and would be weary about their quality.

The fact that there's a 9006 or 9005 plug on the ballast really makes me weary because you're not supposed to just plug a D2S capsule into the housing where a 9005 or 9006 bulb is supposed to go. The lamp housing is designed to utilize the light output from a 9005 or 9006 bulb, not a D2S bulb.

Unless you plan to do a propper retrofit, ie fitting the lamps from a vehicle with HIDs into your Camry, don't do it.

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,764 Posts
I stick with either Hellalights, PIAA, Philips, or Ichikohs.

·
Registered
2005 Camry SE
454 Posts
xpeed said:
I stick with either Hellalights, PIAA, Philips, or Ichikohs.
Hella doesn't make kits.
PIAA are just overpriced philips equipment.
Philips doesn't make kits (outside of Asia).
Ichikohs is junk.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i was going to get this Hella Set like a month ago but my friend said a friend of his has a Aftermarket set for $100 so i didnt bid on it. took him about a month to show me and it turned out his set was garbage. the Ballest Blew out, if i knew it was a bad set i would had bidded on the hella set.

Well my budget is only $200 for a Set. I would love to get a nice set but they're out of my budget range.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hawkeye-SE said:
Hella doesn't make kits.
PIAA are just overpriced philips equipment.
Philips doesn't make kits (outside of Asia).
Ichikohs is junk.
Hella makes Ballast. But i heard they stopped using the name Hella

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
spongebob said:
i got the pilot hid kit from that person selling he is selling from ebay right. its pretty good i got a gen3
How long you had that set for? and how much did you pay?

·
The Cool Guy
Toyota Camry 02
2,564 Posts
i hear pilot is bad from HIDplanet.com.........

·
1993 Camry XLE
93 CamXLE/73 Lincoln
1,083 Posts
spongebob said:
i got the pilot hid kit from that person selling he is selling from ebay right. its pretty good i got a gen3
Did you do a retrofit or did you stick it in the normal casing. If you didn't do any modification, how's your light output? Do you by chance have any pics? Been thinking about doing this for quite some time now. Plus, I figure if I aim the beam down a bit, I atleast did my part to make an attempt to lower the glare. :)

·
TN's ExercisePhysiologist
96 S/CToyotaAvalonXL
851 Posts
I never heard of that brand before. check out:

http://faqlight.carpassion.info/

I personally have SPW but i think they've stopped making kits a longer time ago. I got mine 3 years ago. The BEST in plug and play IMHO.

·
No Fat Bitches
2,044 Posts
McCulloch is a good brand. I recommend getting OEM HID equipment they won't burn out easily. How much are you looking to spend? I may be able to hook you up with a set.

·
Registered
2005 Camry SE
454 Posts
PtBaller said:
McCulloch is a good brand. I recommend getting OEM HID equipment they won't burn out easily. How much are you looking to spend? I may be able to hook you up with a set.
McCulloch is one of the worst available. Horrible reputation for reliability.

·
The Cool Guy
Toyota Camry 02
2,564 Posts
McCulloch is supposed to be really good now.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts