Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed HID headlights but my left headlight shuts off automatically when I drive. I have to turn my headlight off then turn it back on for it to turn on again. I dont have my ballasts secured but when I parked my camry, I checked the ballast and toggled the wires and ballast to see if it would shut off but it wouldn't. It only happens when I drive. Any idea or suggestions? And if I need to secure my ballasts, how would I do that? And where to buy brackets? Thanks.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I highly advise you to mount those ballasts, and secure the wires. You don't want them getting caught in a belt or fan!

Just use zip ties for the wires and 3M outdoor doublesided tape to mount the ballasts to a flat surface, AWAY FROM YOUR ABS/TRACTION CONTROL MODULE. (Or anything similar, basically electrical components.) Good places are on your washer reservoir tank, on your crash bar, on your chassis, etc. The tape will hold 5lbs/square inch, and is resistant against the weather. You just have to apply it, and let it set, preferably in the heat, for about a day.

When you took a turn, the wires may have flexed a bit, moved, or been disturbed. When your ballasts slosh around like that, it may be different in motion than if you just wiggled it with your hand. If you mount these suckers and the light still flickers, check for a bad bulb, or ballast. Switch the problem bulb from one side to the other. If the problem still exists on the same side, it's your ballast, if the problem travels with the bulb, it's your bulb.

Good luck!

·
SLVRBLLT
83 Posts
agreed with 11LE. Another thing to consider is how you may have installed your bulb. They are very sensitive to moisture so that could have affected it too (I had the same problem as you, my ballasts were always well mounted) The light would shut off and I had to turn it off and turn it on. Make sure everything is tight, if it keeps happening check the bulb for irregularities (it looks funny compared to a normal hid bulb when its damaged due to external factors)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts