Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered HID kit.
I’ve been trying to do some research on the squirrel spotters and how to remove them but I cannot seem to find anything!! Every thread I have found had pictures that were deleted or no longer online. I know I’d have to take the headlight housing out but I have no idea what I’m covering or removing? I’ve also been thinking of buying some new projector lenses from DDM that are clear; will that make a difference too? If anyone can send me up to date pictures or threads I’d appreciate it

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
6,957 Posts
Ordered HID kit.
I’ve been trying to do some research on the squirrel spotters and how to remove them but I cannot seem to find anything!! Every thread I have found had pictures that were deleted or no longer online. I know I’d have to take the headlight housing out but I have no idea what I’m covering or removing? I’ve also been thinking of buying some new projector lenses from DDM that are clear; will that make a difference too? If anyone can send me up to date pictures or threads I’d appreciate it
Just leave them, covering them up will only make it worse to whoever may be the next owner can be or if you decide to go back to halogen and maybe LEDs. The method I read a while back of covering them is a piece of aluminium and JB Weld. TRS has retrofit kits if you want to retrofit it. It just depends on what you want and you should make a thread for it so it can be talked about more in-depth.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Ordered HID kit.
what is a squirrel spotter? I have never heard that term before? and why HID's? I have or had DDM Tuning HID's in my truck, but this is pre LED headlights. Now I use DDM Tuning LED's... the Saber Pro's. and they are very close to what HID's can do.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what is a squirrel spotter? I have never heard that term before? and why HID's? I have or had DDM Tuning HID's in my truck, but this is pre LED headlights. Now I use DDM Tuning LED's... the Saber Pro's. and they are very close to what HID's can do.
Do you have any pictures of them at night?

squirrel spotters (from what I understand) allow light to be emitted above the cut off line so you can see road signs and whatnot. Having HID in a housing meant for halogen with the squirrel spotters still there will produce a glare for oncoming drivers and potentially blind them. I went with HID because I’ve tried many LED brands and none of them have pleased me

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Squirrel spotters are what halogen lights use to light up the signs. It has been said that since HIDs are so bright that the squirrel spotters instead blind people but I have yet to see that happen and they are non-adjustable.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Could you tell me what Watt and color LED's you are using. The Pro series come in 6000K and 3000K. I want a white light with no blue. Thanks!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Could you tell me what Watt and color LED's you are using. The Pro series come in 6000K and 3000K. I want a white light with no blue. Thanks!

I am using the Saber LED, H11 LED Bulbs, 50W, Pair 6000k set. They say 6000k, which would indicate that there is a noticeable amount of blue, but mine look white. They don't have the "blue" tint that their 5500K HID's do and the color (white) is much more consistant than the HID's. I didn't want the 3000K version because those would be the color of halogen bulbs or and orangish/ amber color.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Do you have any pictures of them at night?

squirrel spotters (from what I understand) allow light to be emitted above the cut off line so you can see road signs and whatnot. Having HID in a housing meant for halogen with the squirrel spotters still there will produce a glare for oncoming drivers and potentially blind them. I went with HID because I’ve tried many LED brands and none of them have pleased me
I could not find a white wall to take a picture at last night and it was in the 20's last night. but, here is one with only the low beams on and one with the fog lights on pointed at a building.

Low beams only (use the floors of the building to see the difference:

Low beams and fogs turned on, you will notice that the second and third floors of the building are brighter, more light is hitting them and the parking lot infront of my car is a little brighter.

This is an example for street signs, you can gauge how far I am from the stop sign and railroad trax by the car coming at me and the light reflection off the signs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been trying to do tons of research trying to find out what I should do, but as I stated, the threads I come across have broken links/pictures that do not help me.

Here is my issue/concern:

I purchased these Morimoto Elite H11 HID from TheRetroSource; still awaiting their arrival. If I am to put these HIDs in my stock halogen projectors, I believe that I will be blinding other drivers and will have a good as a cut off line. I have heard that I will need to open up the headlight housing to make some modifications, but I am not exactly sure what modifications I will need to make.

I have been looking up some new headlight housings that claim to have clear lenses (just in case I f up), but I don't think they're referring to the projectors' lenses. My headlight housing is foggy anyway, so I wouldn't mind replacing them. The stock projector lenses are frosted, as opposed to aftermarket ones that are completely clear that allow maximum brightness.

I was thinking about purchasing these lenses from the same website, but I'm not sure this will solve the squirrel spotters/not having a clean cutoff. What will I need to do to prevent the squirrel spotters from blinding others? Bend it down? "JB Weld" it? What is the squirrel spotter? What's it look like?

I have been watching this video reading through his comments to see what he has done, but it's very old and outdated and the questions asked don't really help me.

Is there a place that sells gen 6.5 housing that has already been modified/retrofitted? What has others done? I do not want to aim my headlights down as that will defeat the purpose of having brighter headlights.

I've looked here but am iffy about purchasing them. Their rep claimed that the projector lenses are clear...

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
TheRetrofitSource will have nearly all of the information you are looking for if you are gonna swap the projectors as they sell (or selled) the Retrofit-Quik Projectors for the Camry. Ask them and they can get you the right answers that you are looking for as not many people here as far as I have seen have done retrofits and the ones who did have long moved on. Otherwise any aftermarket non-OEM type head light are always sketchy in quality so doing a retrofit may be worth it.

I've also already said the the squirrel spotters are unlikely to blind anyone as I have not been flashed at or yelled at by other people. If you want to cover them, people have used JB Weld and aluminium from a soda can to cover them but doing this will prevent their use for halogen lights so I warn against it. You apparently do this by sticking the strip of aluminium on to the back of a stick or pencil and just press it against the squirrel spotter until it sticks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TheRetrofitSource will have nearly all of the information you are looking for if you are gonna swap the projectors as they sell (or selled) the Retrofit-Quik Projectors for the Camry. Ask them and they can get you the right answers that you are looking for as not many people here as far as I have seen have done retrofits and the ones who did have long moved on. Otherwise any aftermarket non-OEM type head light are always sketchy in quality so doing a retrofit may be worth it.

I've also already said the the squirrel spotters are unlikely to blind anyone as I have not been flashed at or yelled at by other people. If you want to cover them, people have used JB Weld and aluminium from a soda can to cover them but doing this will prevent their use for halogen lights so I warn against it. You apparently do this by sticking the strip of aluminium on to the back of a stick or pencil and just press it against the squirrel spotter until it sticks.
Will look for more info on their website.

You say that, but I saw one of your posts saying that you aimed your headlights down. As I've stated, they're not my only concern, I'd like a clean cutoff with non-scattered lights. Of course people won't blind you if your lights are aimed down; or was this before you aimed your lights down?

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Will look for more info on their website.

You say that, but I saw one of your posts saying that you aimed your headlights down. As I've stated, they're not my only concern, I'd like a clean cutoff with non-scattered lights. Of course people won't blind you if your lights are aimed down; or was this before you aimed your lights down?
They were aimed low at one point, then aimed up later. At most I only got flashed once each time and this is long after I had done those adjustments. If you want a clean cutoff, you have to retrofit your head lights as those are made for HIDs. Aftermarket non-OEM-like head lights are all gonna be sketchy in build quality. The ones you have right now are made for halogen and the HIDs you can only be used in H11 sockets. The retrofit projectors as far as I know will not use H11 but rather maybe D2S or something like that. TRS will have those answers. If you want to see pictures, let me know.

·
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
1,521 Posts
I was the 1st member on this forum to discover that the 2008+ MDX hid projectors bolt right up to our stock mounting holes for our stock H11 projectors with very little modification. See my MDX hid retrofit thread. I bought my wire harness, tsx clear lenses and Phillips D2S bulbs from The Retrofit Source they are great to deal with. I covered my squirrel spotters with a piece cut from an aluminum soda can and job weld. Its a personal preference. Hid Planet forums also is a wealth of information. A retrofit is the way to go if you are able to bake and take apart your headlights and reseal them IMHO.You will need an H11 relay harness and adapters to go from H11 to D2S hid, Below is a picture of what a squirrel spotter looks like. Hope this helps,
Glenn
images.jpg
images.jpg

·
Registered
371 Posts
This is very interesting to me..... My Camry came with stock projectors (with cut offs) for the halogen bulbs and they were H11 halogens. So I simply replaced the factory h11 bulbs with h11 LED's. The cut off stayed the same, when I am behind people like a white SUV with a flat tail, you can easily see the cut off.... I never had to make any modifications at all. I am curious about all this trouble for factory housings that do the exact same thing? (Now, that being said)...... some trim levels of the Camry''s may not have come from the factory with headlight assembly's setup that way. Mine did.

All I did was swap the old H11 bulb out for a better H11 bulb.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is very interesting to me..... My Camry came with stock projectors (with cut offs) for the halogen bulbs and they were H11 halogens. So I simply replaced the factory h11 bulbs with h11 LED's. The cut off stayed the same, when I am behind people like a white SUV with a flat tail, you can easily see the cut off.... I never had to make any modifications at all. I am curious about all this trouble for factory housings that do the exact same thing? (Now, that being said)...... some trim levels of the Camry''s may not have come from the factory with headlight assembly's setup that way. Mine did.

All I did was swap the old H11 bulb out for a better H11 bulb.
I don't see them doing that for a trim level, but I could be wrong. I have a cutoff, but some light goes above the cutoff (squirrel spotter). I've invested into two LED headlights but they just won't suffice to me. I feel like I will get the best light output from using clear projector lenses... From the photos you posted earlier, yes, they are bright, but it does not have a wide output (seeing from the sides as much as I'd like to). It's also hard to tell how far your lights are reaching as in both pictures they were aiming somewhere where light already is. It also looks like you had your fog lights on when you were driving

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You're still too close to the wall to look at the lighting. In addition, this is just how "not that great" projectors look when using HID's in them.
I feel like regardless how close I am, you can tell there is a difference in beam pattern. I attached a picture in my recent post with my old halogen light and it still had the same pattern. The driver side HID is fine, but the passenger isn’t.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts