Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
1,521 Posts
I feel like regardless how close I am, you can tell there is a difference in beam pattern. I attached a picture in my recent post with my old halogen light and it still had the same pattern. The driver side HID is fine, but the passenger isn’t.
Make sure that your bulbs are seated correctly in the projectors, meaning they are twisted in correctly and level and that they are not crooked in the projectors. Bulbs that aren't seated correctly can cause (hot) spots, BTW did you used the sti clear lenses ?? If so make sure those are seated correctly also
Glenn

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
6,957 Posts
Make sure that your bulbs are seated correctly in the projectors, meaning they are twisted in correctly and level and that they are not crooked in the projectors. Bulbs that aren't seated correctly can cause (hot) spots, BTW did you used the still clear lenses ?? If so make sure those are seated correctly also
Glenn
I think he just did a HID swap, no other change. Since these are halogen projectors, they won't look as good as HID projectors no matter what he wants to do. It's also possible he has a H11 and a H11B bulb but it is hard to say with how close it is.

·
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
1,521 Posts
I think he just did a HID swap, no other change. Since these are halogen projectors, they won't look as good as HID projectors no matter what he wants to do. It's also possible he has a H11 and a H11B bulb but it is hard to say with how close it is.
Yes, it sounds like he bought the Morimoto HID kit, just making sure he installed the bulbs correctly. I agree with you that he will not get as good of an out put using a halogen projector with an his hid kit as you would with an hid projector
Glenn

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Make sure that your bulbs are seated correctly in the projectors, meaning they are twisted in correctly and level and that they are not crooked in the projectors. Bulbs that aren't seated correctly can cause (hot) spots, BTW did you used the sti clear lenses ?? If so make sure those are seated correctly also
Glenn
I did not use an STI Clear lenses; saving that for later. I swapped the bulbs and got the same result; they were both properly seated.
It's also possible he has a H11 and a H11B bulb but it is hard to say with how close it is.
How is that possible if only one housing is making this shadow effect? I would think the shadow would follow wherever the bulb is, but it’s not the case since I’ve swapped the bulbs.........

I know that my output will not be the best; I am okay with that. I do think that this shadow has nothing to do with my bulbs. As I’ve mentioned a numerous amount of times (and included pics), this shadow was present with my halogen and LED bulbs. I know this is not normal because my aunt’s SE of the same year has no shadow with her halogen bulb. As I said, regardless of how close or far I am to the wall, there is a difference between the two cars when they are closer to the wall.... that alone speaks there is a problem.

·
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
1,521 Posts
I did not use an STI Clear lenses; saving that for later. I swapped the bulbs and got the same result; they were both properly seated.

How is that possible if only one housing is making this shadow effect? I would think the shadow would follow wherever the bulb is, but it’s not the case since I’ve swapped the bulbs.........

I know that my output will not be the best; I am okay with that. I do think that this shadow has nothing to do with my bulbs. As I’ve mentioned a numerous amount of times (and included pics), this shadow was present with my halogen and LED bulbs. I know this is not normal because my aunt’s SE of the same year has no shadow with her halogen bulb. As I said, regardless of how close or far I am to the wall, there is a difference between the two cars when they are closer to the wall.... that alone speaks there is a problem.
There could be (burn damage inside the projector itself) I don't know. You could always email your pictures to where you bought the kit to see what they say. I am assuming you bought from The Retrofit Source if so they have very good customer service. I am also a member on HID Planet forums, they could be very helpful also.
Glenn

·
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
1,521 Posts
I mentioned the seating of the bulbs just to help you trouble shoot your issue, I am glad that you have them seated properly.
Glenn

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
There could be (burn damage inside the projector itself) I don't know. You could always email your pictures to where you bought the kit to see what they say. I am assuming you bought from The Retrofit Source if so they have very good customer service. I am also a member on HID Planet forums, they could be very helpful also.
Glenn
Simple answer I didn’t think about. I didn’t know if it needed to be adjusted or what the problem was. I probably will just order a new assembly for now

·
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
1,521 Posts
Simple answer I didn’t think about. I didn’t know if it needed to be adjusted or what the problem was. I probably will just order a new assembly for now
On hid planet I have seen projectors burn on the inside, before you go and order a new housing, I would call and email the Retrofit Source and see what they have to say 1st. I have bought many products from the Retrofit Source and Matt the owner is great and is an expert in lighting. Post back with your findings as I am curious as well.
Glenn

·
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
1,521 Posts
Retro-Quik: Toyota Camry (07-09)

I’ve been talking to TRS about the issue. They suggested new projectors and sent this one. This one looks like it will perform well but my question or concern is if it will fit my 2011?
So it sounds like you had a projector problem, probably the projector bowl burned on the inside. I just clicked on your link and went to the retrofit source's web site, at the top of the page it states this , I cut and pasted this ,Options have been tailored for a 2011 Toyota Camry by the TRS Buyer's Guide! So this set up will work inside your headlight. You are going to have to do an hid retrofit, meaning you will have to bake open your headlights and take out the stock h11 halogen projectors and replace them with the retro quick projectors etc. Just to give you an idea here are some pictures of my MDX D2S HID projector retrofit , Picture #1 MDX next to h11 halogen Picture #2 Headlight opened with MDX HID projectors installed, right side, Picture #3 left side. Picture #4 headlights sealed up. Picture #6 Headlights aimed and installed. If you have any questions give me a shout. How to bake headlights in oven via The Retrofit Source, Link :
Hope this helps
Glenn
HPIM0412.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
So it sounds like you had a projector problem, probably the projector bowl burned on the inside. I just clicked on your link and went to the retrofit source's web site, at the top of the page it states this , I cut and pasted this ,Options have been tailored for a 2011 Toyota Camry by the TRS Buyer's Guide! So this set up will work inside your headlight. You are going to have to do an hid retrofit, meaning you will have to bake open your headlights and take out the stock h11 halogen projectors and replace them with the retro quick projectors etc. Just to give you an idea here are some pictures of my MDX D2S HID projector retrofit , Picture #1 MDX next to h11 halogen Picture #2 Headlight opened with MDX HID projectors installed, right side, Picture #3 left side. Picture #4 headlights sealed up. Picture #6 Headlights aimed and installed. If you have any questions give me a shout.
Hope this helps
Glenn
View attachment 292369
Thank you! It helps tremendously— all other posts like this were from a dead Photobucket account. I was thinking of ordering new housing as well just because mine is somewhat foggy. How did you seal yours back up?

·
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
1,521 Posts
Thank you! It helps tremendously— all other posts like this were from a dead Photobucket account. I was thinking of ordering new housing as well just because mine is somewhat foggy. How did you seal yours back up?
I bought some butyl rubber sealant The Retrofit Source has that also, put extra butyl sealant around headlight housing bake in oven or use a heat gun , put headlight clear plastic outside lense back on , use clamps to hold the headlight together. Put in all of the little phillips head screws around back of headlight , let headlights glue harden, put back on car.
Glenn

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I bought some butyl rubber sealant The Retrofit Source has that also, put extra butyl sealant around headlight housing bake in oven or use a heat gun , put headlight clear plastic outside lense back on , use clamps to hold the headlight together. Put in all of the little phillips head screws around back of headlight , let headlights glue harden, put back on car.
Glenn
Replacing the projectors; go I still need to cover the squirrel spotters? Or will they not be present in a projector such as the one above?

·
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
1,521 Posts
Replacing the projectors; go I still need to cover the squirrel spotters? Or will they not be present in a projector such as the one above?
I don't know if these projectors have squirrel spotters since I never retrofitted a set. I would not if they do. Go to the link you posted and click on just the projectors and they have cutoff pictures, they look great. Edit : Since these projectors are bi-xenon ( high and low beam) they will not have squirrel spotters !!!
Glenn

·
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
1,521 Posts
And can I also see your headlights at night?

Yes, here is a picture at night with my cutoff. Enjoy,
002-15_zps97e13885.jpg

Glenn[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
102 Posts
+1 for burned projector bowl, thats usually what the beam looks like when the reflective material above the bulb turns brown/black from heat

If your HID projectors from TRS come with squirrel spotters, do not remove or cover them. I installed Morimoto Mini D2s 4.0s and they did not have a squirrel spotter. I installed them in brand new headlight housings and my cutoff was so clean I could not see ANY road signs at night. There just wasn't enough glare above the cutoff until my headlight housing lenses got weathered a bit.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts