Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm actually going to go ahead with the tsx projector retrofit.. anyone here done one for any of their vehicles before? Any tips or advice? I've noticed there are a lot of DIYs on the net regarding the retrofit processes.. the closest to our vehicle i've come is one done on an 06 scion.. the head lights are VERY close in shape and geometry.. Anyways, i'm planning to go ahead with the following products. Let me know what you all think.

TSX retrofit kit: The retrofit source

http://store.theretrofitsource.com/...id=62&osCsid=33a28fc7cbb43bfa4634cdeccafb752f

Headlights to do retrofit on: JDM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/09-1...0320?IMSfp=TL090320149010r5771#ht_3117wt_1105

I plan to start this project in May, after my exams are over.. I'm just ordering the parts in now so I have them in time when my summer break begins.

·
Goes Against The Grain
02 Camry SE V6
18,081 Posts
I give you the most highest praise for doing a true HID conversion and retrofit. You have my respect.

Check out hidplanet.com it's a great site and a lot of DIY threads that are very informative and helpful.

I have don't done one yet, but i plan to in the fall. So i'm not much help in that area.

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
I Think It's A Toyota
519 Posts
i've had tsx projectors retrofitted in all my previous cars (2000 accord coupe and 2002 maxima) and have tsx projectors retrofitted in my vibe. i didn't actually do any of mine, my friend from hidillusionz did it for me. but if you are planning on doing it yourself, you can visit www.hidplanet.com/forums to do your research. lots of good info there =) are you planning on retrofitting it yourself? the process is pretty much the same for all cars. just make sure you align them correctly so the cutoff won't be crooked. for the oem headlights people usually align them according to the lines on the reflectors. but if you use aftemarket headlights the quality won't be as good as oem ones and aligning it using the lines might not come out that well. happened to my maxima lol oh don't forget, you might want to look for a shroud to cover up the projectors to make it look better.

also just a warning about that theretrofitsource.com site, they tried to rip my friend off over $1,200 by not
sending the stuffs and other bs.

here's a few pics of my setup :D

how can't you go wrong with this haha

·
I Think It's A Toyota
519 Posts
^ haha that pic was with aftermarket 4300k bulbs which looked more like 5000k...now i have oem philips 4300k bulbs and the light output is significantly brighter at night but color looks less white tho lol

·
uh..no, it's not a hybrid
3,486 Posts
This is the only acceptable way to do HIDs in our cars. Top lighting honors go to those that do it this way for wisdom in proper lighting, and most of all politeness to others on the road.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I did a E55 bixenon retro in my Jeep TJ quite a few number of years ago now. I did it out of function over form because I used to drive all across Canada with shitty stock headlights. Also I didn't have room to make it look pretty just because there was absolutely no room to work with in the H4 round housing that I had in the Jeep, plus I didn't know that I could form my own shroud using the vacuum method.

Here are a few pics.

Lowbeam

The E55 has a fluted lens so the cutoff is not as sharp as some other projectors out there including TSX and TL, but E55 was the only bixenon small enough to fit in the room I had available, even then it barely fit in there. But I don't mind it, its more than good enough for my purpose, plus how many retroed TJs do I see rolling around, none hehe.

Highbeam

General Image of Headlights

Close up Shot

My shroud is made from, well actually I don't have one, I just covered up the open space with Aluminum tape.

And when I say I had no room to work with in the housing I mean I had no room to work with in the housing. Check out these pics and you'll know what I mean

The lens actually sticks out past the front of the housing, it only fits in the housing because the glass that goes in front is curved.

The housing is wrapped with Aluminum tape and I have never had a problem of any kind with water leaking into the housing.

I have now had this setup for a few years now and I have never had a problem of any kind with my setup, even when I was living in Winnipeg where the weather dipped down to -45 (degrees) at times. I don't get any moisture buildup or any light flicker when they are on. I also had to design my own wiring harness because in the TJ the low beam shuts off anytime you hit the highbeam because of the H4 setup.

As for any tips and what not, you can use boiling water method to separate the housing rather than throwing the housing in the oven.
Check out the forums over at www.hidplanet.com. That is where I lurked around before I attempted my retro.

I used Aluminum tape to cover the area between the projector and the housing because I knew I would end up doing a updated retro sometime later. Of course if I were to do this retro again I would do a much much cleaner job and probably swap out the stock lens on the E55 for some clear ones, but for now, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

·
Registered
101 Posts
Using thin plexi glass and a vacuum you can make your own custom shrouds.

Check out these vids, this guy did a amazing job documenting how to do a retro, and he forms the shrouds using a vacuum.
(sorry I don't know how to embed vids)

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imIi...4B6B4D6&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=112

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qExaAFgvquE&feature=related

Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg_C_jtonZw&feature=related

Part 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ1repIX_UU&feature=related

Check out Part 3, it shows the vacuum shroud forming method.

·
Just getting started...
1,473 Posts
Sweet retro on the Jeep, that could definitely pass for an OEM setup.

btk, let us know your progress, I would also recommend working with OEM headlights if you can find them cheap enough, much better quality than aftermarket.

I plan to do a retro at some point too for the Corolla, I had a set of TLs in the Maxima but now having seperate low and high beams, I have more options to look into.

Here's my Maxima with the TLs and custom LED fog lights:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Oh man! i adore these MODS!!! OH MAN!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
101 Posts
also, for whoever has done a retrofit here before, what do i do with my orginal 9006 wiring after the retrofitted headlights have been installed? Are they just going to sit there?

You will use one side for the trigger. You can use a 9006 plug, or just tap into the wire. Then tape up the 9006 connector and tuck it to the side.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts