Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[UPDATE - May 23, 2017] I've updated the pictures to show tapping into fuse P/OUTLET NO 2 instead. Initially, I had instructed to tap into P/OUTLET NO 1. This caused issues for 2017+ Highlander owners with Auto Start Stop, because the dash cam would restart frequently everytime the engine restarted itself after it auto stopped. The most likely cause is that everytime the engine cranked over from auto stop, it drew too much amps/voltage, and it was enough for the dash cam to think it was disconnected and reconnected. Hence it restarted itself. Since I've tapped into P/OUTLET NO 2, the auto start stop does not cause the camera to restart.

I installed my Viofo A119 dash camera and hard wired it into the cigarette lighter (P/OUTLET NO 2) fuse in the interior fuse box. I used a 5 amp mini fuse for the dash camera, because I couldn't find any smaller than 5 amp at the auto parts store. The bolt that holds the fuse box to the car works as a grounding point. I crimped on a spade terminal onto the ground wire, and slid that behind the bolt and screwed it down. As for the USB hard wire kit bundle, I was able to zip tie and stash bundle behind the panel to the left of the foot handbrake. Then from the footwell area, the USB cable was hidden up the A-pillar and comes out of the headliner and is only exposed for about 5 to 6 inches as it connects to the dash cam.

The dash cam is mounted a bit low. But since the camera lens on the Vifio can be adjusted up/down & left/right, on video the footage looks completely fine. The black dots on the top part of the windshield prevent how high up you can mount a dash cam. If you want to mount it high, you'll be mounting it really far on the drivers or passengers side, but then the camera won't be centered with a wide field of view. At its current position, you can capture everything except for the licence plate of the guy directly in front of you if you're riding his ass.

Links to the dash cam, mini usb hard wire kit and fuse tap I used.
Amazon - Vifio A119 dash camera
Amazon - ARECORD AR-HWT-2AE Vehicle Hard Wire Kit
Princess Auto - Mini Low Profile Fuse Tap
Princess Auto - 5 amp mini fuse

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the detail info and the nice pictures.

I have a question for you, can you record the video when the ignition is off? Ex. While car is parked
No, it's an ignition switched fuse. Car turns off = camera turns off.

If you want to keep the camera powered after ignition off, the safe method is to power it using a USB portable battery pack. You don't want a constant parasitic draw on the battery.

The camera does have a motion sensing feature that can record after the car is turned off, but you have to manually enable every time. Car Cam Central has a really good review about it, and is currently the number 1 ranked dash cam under $200.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did you just run the cable along the headliner and then along one of the pillars to hide the wiring? I'd love to do something like this, just concerned about wires showing. Did you photograph any of the wire running to show where you routed it?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you just run the cable along the headliner and then along one of the pillars to hide the wiring? I'd love to do something like this, just concerned about wires showing. Did you photograph any of the wire running to show where you routed it?
Yep, I tucked the cable underneath the panels and seams from the fuse box by the hand brake, up the A pillar and along the headliner. If I took a picture, you wouldn't see anything, because the cable is hidden. The only part where you can see any cable is where it comes out from the headliner to connect to the camera itself, There's not enough space between the windshield and the Toyota Safety glass camera/sensor, or else you could tuck the cable under there, then only like 1 inch of cable would be visible.

I've updated my original post with a marked out picture of the path I ran the cable.

·
Registered
2017 Hybrid Platinum
135 Posts
Yep, I tucked the cable underneath the panels and seams from the fuse box by the hand brake, up the A pillar and along the headliner. If I took a picture, you wouldn't see anything, because the cable is hidden. The only part where you can see any cable is where it comes out from the headliner to connect to the camera itself, There's not enough space between the windshield and the Toyota Safety glass camera/sensor, or else you could tuck the cable under there, then only like 1 inch of cable would be visible.

I've updated my original post with a marked out picture of the path I ran the cable.
Thanks for the tutorial. My new dash cam with hard wire kit came in the mail today. It did not have that fuse tap and I would not thought to go buy it without seeing this.

·
Premium Member
2016 Corolla S Prem
3,616 Posts
I just tapped power up in my map lights...
I pulled power from the sunroof motor.

Running the wiring up the rear of the A-Pillar concerns me because of the side curtain air bags.
I would have run it up the windshield side of the pillar rather than the door side (that's how I ran the GPS antenna cable for my StreetGuardian).

·
Registered
'18 HL Ltd, '19 GMC Acadia Denali, '02 Honda Civic EX
963 Posts
Rather than mounting on the windshield you could try on the sensor housing. There's a slight possibility it might be an issue with the GPS mount of that particular camera but I doubt it. Would get the camera up out of your line of vision and could be an escape clause in those states that have prohibitions about mounting stuff 'on' the windshield. (Note: Not a Highlander but you get the idea.)

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I pulled power from the sunroof motor.

Running the wiring up the rear of the A-Pillar concerns me because of the side curtain air bags.
I would have run it up the windshield side of the pillar rather than the door side (that's how I ran the GPS antenna cable for my StreetGuardian).
I see what you're saying about it maybe affecting the side air bags, but it should be ok, because it's tucked under the weather & noise strip. Looking at the IIHS crash test video, when the air bags go off, it should just blow that cable down with it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rather than mounting on the windshield you could try on the sensor housing. There's a slight possibility it might be an issue with the GPS mount of that particular camera but I doubt it. Would get the camera up out of your line of vision and could be an escape clause in those states that have prohibitions about mounting stuff 'on' the windshield. (Note: Not a Highlander but you get the idea.)
That would make for a stealthier install, and there is enough room on the flat part of the sensor to mount it. I've mounted mine now, and won't be removing it. But next time if I have to, I'll try that spot out.

·
Registered
2015 HHL, 2012 TCH
113 Posts
I installed a Vivo A119 (recently changed it for a A119S - A119 is in another car now). My install was almost the same as yours (I did manage to get it mounted a little higher up on my 2015 Hybrid Highlander) except I ran the wire to the 12V lighter in the dash shelf and used a USB lighter plug with 2 2.1A receptacles.

Great Dashcam for the cost. I thought about hard-wiring but wanted to install it quickly - I fished the wiring through the dash so it is invisible except where it exits above the 12V lighter area in the shelf space.

·
Registered
2015 HHL, 2012 TCH
113 Posts
Sure - I will take some pictures and post. My 2015 Platinum has two modules located on the windshield, there is space between them to mount the top of the A119 GPS mount, so it is higher on the Windshield. It looks like the 2017 listed in the OP has a larger plastic box that covers this area .... My wire routing is identical to the OP from the device to the area it enters the dash. I removed the bottom dash panel under the steering wheel to route the cable, then pulled the radio out to gain access to feed the wire upwards and to the shelf area. Since I already had installed a CRUX Avity1 Nav bypass I was familiar with Radio removal (takes about 5 minutes to remove).

·
Registered
2017 Hybrid Platinum
135 Posts
Installed my Goluk T3 today the same way dingmah did it. Except for mounting location. Mine is pretty small and light because it doesn't have a screen, and i was able to mount it with 3M tape. It sends wifi signal to my phone if I want to see it. Oh, and it comes with a separate quarter size wireless button that you can hit to save a video. I mounted that on the side of the steering wheel column. The only thing that threw me off was that the little fuses in the highlander box are much smaller than the standard fuses that came with my piggyback fuse tap. And the smaller toyota fuses did not fit in my fuse tap. So I had to go back and buy a new 15A fuse that would fit in the piggyback tap slot. I also couldn't put the fuse box cover back on because the the new fuses hang down too far.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I installed my Viofo A119 dash camera and hard wired it into the cigarette lighter (P/OUTLET NO 1) fuse in the interior fuse box. I used a 5 amp mini fuse for the dash camera, because I couldn't find any smaller than 5 amp at the auto parts store. The bolt that holds the fuse box to the car works as a grounding point. I was able to zip tie and stash the hard wire kit bundle behind the panel right by the foot handbrake. Then from the footwell area, the USB cable was hidden up the A-pillar and comes out of the headliner and is only exposed for about 5 to 6 inches as it connects to the dash cam.

The dash cam is mounted a bit low. But since the camera lens on the Vifio can be adjusted up/down & left/right, on video the footage looks completely fine. The black dots on the top part of the windshield prevent how high up you can mount a dash cam. If you want to mount it high, you'll be mounting it really far on the drivers or passengers side, but then the camera won't be centered with a wide field of view. At its current position, you can capture everything except for the licence plate of the guy directly in front of you if you're riding his ass.

This is how i ran the wires for my Gentrex Mirror (compass, auto-dim and Homelink). When i sell my 2014 , the mirror is coming with me !

·
Registered
76 Posts
I installed my Viofo A119 dash camera and hard wired it into the cigarette lighter (P/OUTLET NO 1) fuse in the interior fuse box. I used a 5 amp mini fuse for the dash camera, because I couldn't find any smaller than 5 amp at the auto parts store. The bolt that holds the fuse box to the car works as a grounding point. I was able to zip tie and stash the hard wire kit bundle behind the panel right by the foot handbrake. Then from the footwell area, the USB cable was hidden up the A-pillar and comes out of the headliner and is only exposed for about 5 to 6 inches as it connects to the dash cam.

Similar way I wired my Viofo A119S, but my dash cam is completely hidden behind the rear view mirror (not visible really from the inside or outside) my HL is full black so it blends in very well. Even dealership seem to have never noticed it's there :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Similar way I wired my Viofo A119S, but my dash cam is completely hidden behind the rear view mirror (not visible really from the inside or outside) my HL is full black so it blends in very well. Even dealership seem to have never noticed it's there :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hello Faisdogg

Sorry to reviving the old thread.

I just purchased the VIOFO A119S and I would like to mount it on black plastic box behind the rear view mirror.

Is this where you have mounted your?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just installed my A119 and ran it from the USB port without having to do the fuse tap. Powers on and off with the ignition via the USB port. Hid the wiring completely behind the dash trim. See this video for help.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I just installed my A119 and ran it from the USB port without having to do the fuse tap. Powers on and off with the ignition via the USB port. Hid the wiring completely behind the dash trim. See this video for help.

https://youtu.be/sL3564jOigA
Pretty nice install, but the camera in the you tube video hangs down a little too low for my taste.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts