·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2007 Acura TL Type S
367 Posts
Not sure about headlight applications, but I love VLED's and their service...top notch. I am also a HUGE fan of their V3 Triton signal bulbs. Hands down the best LED plug and play product you can buy. I am probably going to be putting the Tritons in the front park/turn signals of the Highlander. I want to do the rear brake and turn lamps, but when I pulled the tail lamp assembly there is very little room for the V3 Triton LED bulb to fit between the assembly and metal body once its pushed back in place. So im thinking its not going to work there.

Keep us posted about what you do with the headlamps as I still cant believe this $45,000 Highlander still has halogen lamps!! I wonder how those stock projectors would handle and focus an HID bulb? The cutoff and beam seems pretty nice with the halogens, so I wonder if the HID bulb would be as nicely focused. If it were me I would probably go with HID's. Visit the retrofit source dot com for anything you need. They have complete kits that even come with a pre-made high quality harness. I might go that route, but I was kind of hoping someone else tried HID's on the stock halogen projectors first :-D

·
Registered
127 Posts
From what I read, it is a big NO NO to put HID in projectors intended for halogen. :dunno:

...I want to do the rear brake and turn lamps, but when I pulled the tail lamp assembly there is very little room for the V3 Triton LED bulb to fit between the assembly and metal body once its pushed back in place. So im thinking its not going to work there.
Awwww man, I was thinking of doing that when I buy the HL. :facepalm:

·
Registered
261 Posts
as long as you have projectors, HID doesn't hurt that bad. Huge no no for reflectors.

As for LED. I can tell you don't bother. The light output is just not high enough. Real world experience here.
Had it on my 08 HiHy reflector housing. It scattered all over the place, but doesn't blind people. But it's just not powerful enough. Maybe in a projector housing.

Had a pic of it somewhere in the 2nd gen forum. You can see the result of how dim it is.

·
Registered
2007 Acura TL Type S
367 Posts
^^^ Yeah I was gonna say its actually a big no no in a non-projector based halogen reflector. The halogen reflector can atleast focus most of the light where it needs to be. However, looking at the picture that was posted in the link above, I am seeing a pretty high amount of glare in areas it shouldn't be which is what I was worried about. Maybe that's just the camera, or the fact that the lights are so close to the wall they are projected on so it may not be as bad as I think. Also, it seems like he might be using a lower quality high K bulb which probably doesn't help. If I go with an HID kit it will be using a quality bulb at OEM K ratings (4300K)...none of that bluish/purple look for me.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I'm going to stick with hids. LEDs would be awesome, but not sure they are brighter than hids. As for color I think maybe 5k. The stock 4300k has a bit of too much yellow for my taste.

·
2014 Highlander LE
8,053 Posts
Perhaps the LED currently out are not so bright, but don't stop looking. Audi/VW/Porsche has some on their car that may have you wanting to wait(?). Sweeney has ggot some good info on this. wait for him, or search for his retro thread on the HID.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually have the same exact kit from KBCarStuff in my ES350 at 5000K and couldn't be happier. I will be ordering the same for the Highlander.
Yah same here. I used them on my Chevy Tahoe and IS350. Was going to try the cheaper route from Amazon, but decided to stick with what works.

·
2014 HL AWD LTE Blk/Blk
228 Posts
It must be my dirty windshield that makes the HID pic looks dimmer. It looks brighter outside. I would go with the 5000K bulbs next time.

Philip CrystalVision Ultra

HID kit above with Philips bulbs

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've installed HID from KBCarstuff (4300K Philips bulb) and couldn't be happier with the results. I did have to adjust the cutoff angel to stop the glare. But after adjusting the lights lower, it is perfect now.

·
Registered
2007 Acura TL Type S
367 Posts
Yhats a pretty serious hotspot in the center of the beam in the above pictures. Is that from a 2014 Highlander? Based off pictures I have seen so far I'm not thrilled with the output if an HID in the stock halogen projector. Might just leave them alone afterall.

·
2014 Highlander LE
8,053 Posts
How far apart in time of days are they shot? Did you use manual setting on the camera?
Hot spots are dependent on more than the light source. The capture device makes a difference. What did you shoot this with and at what settings and lens ?

thanks!

1 - 20 of 130 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.