1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Support Authenticity!!!
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
quick question on HIDs
i recently got my 07 se
im planning on putting 6000k on both the lowbeams and foglights
would it be better to put 3000k in the foglights instead?

·
Registered
04 CAMRY LE
1,123 Posts
3000 k doesn't necesarily mean it'll be better in fog or foul weather...you could basically put any light temp but as long as you have it properly aimed with no low beams on...then the fog s would actually become usefull. If you have lows on...the light would wash it out...I mean if you are in foul weather...you shouldn't nor would you drive fast. Yu'd be driving slower so there is no need for lows..since the low beam light would reflect right bakc in your eyes. 3000k does help in relieving eye tension since its not as straining compared to other light temps

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts
^^^ Agreed.

And don't forget, putting HIDs in the Camry halogen projector will never come close to the kind of output you'd get from an HID projector retrofit.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Webb26 said:
3000 k doesn't necesarily mean it'll be better in fog or foul weather...you could basically put any light temp but as long as you have it properly aimed with no low beams on...then the fog s would actually become usefull. If you have lows on...the light would wash it out...I mean if you are in foul weather...you shouldn't nor would you drive fast. Yu'd be driving slower so there is no need for lows..since the low beam light would reflect right bakc in your eyes. 3000k does help in relieving eye tension since its not as straining compared to other light temps
Wouldn't that be illegal? Driving with fogs and no lows....

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
touringcamry said:
Some juristictions require that the low beams are illuminated when fog lights are used. That's why many cars that have fogs only enable them when the lows are on.
I know, that is why I thought it would be illegal to drive with just fogs. I wasn't even addressing fogs with highs, which is counterproductive anyway.

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,396 Posts
A squirrel spotter it a spot of light that is projected upwards at a 45 degree angle to help illuminate road signs

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts
JSM1284 said:
A squirrel spotter it a spot of light that is projected upwards at a 45 degree angle to help illuminate road signs
In terms of hardware, its a small flap at the top of the projector with a small opening which allows some light to escape.

HID projectors with squirrel spotters are fine, because they're designed to not glare. Halogen projectors with squirrel spotters and HID kits are not.

·
Registered
438 Posts
white3ch0c0late said:
And don't forget, putting HIDs in the Camry halogen projector will never come close to the kind of output you'd get from an HID projector retrofit.
you never get tired of saying that huh? for those of us who are using the halogen projector for hid, you think we (well I) want to keep hearing that? OK OK the TSX projectors are brighter but so are the original halogens with hid bulbs. congratulations on your retrofit but not everyone wants to spend that much money and time. i installed some OSRAM Xenarc D2S Xenon HID bulbs and a pair of slim denso koilo ballasts and it looks great!

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,396 Posts
lalojamesliz said:
you never get tired of saying that huh? for those of us who are using the halogen projector for hid, you think we (well I) want to keep hearing that? OK OK the TSX projectors are brighter but so are the original halogens with hid bulbs. congratulations on your retrofit but not everyone wants to spend that much money and time. i installed some OSRAM Xenarc D2S Xenon HID bulbs and a pair of slim denso koilo ballasts and it looks great!
But still far from the output of a true HID projector, Trust me, I have an HID conversion in my halogen projectors currently, However I also have a spare set of headlamps im retrofitting TSX projectors into. Testing the TSX projectors compared to my HID retro fitted Halogen projectors, The TSX's BLOW THE HALOGENS AWAY in light output, and quality of the beam itself. Im not putting you down at all, Just giving you input based on my personal experience.

See thread: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t170924.html

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts
lalojamesliz said:
No, I don't get tired of saying it. Like JSM1284 said, halogen projectors with HID bulbs don't even come close in output to a true HID setup. And I'm going to KEEP saying it not because I'm trying to toot my own horn, but because its true, and anyone thats about to spend $200-$300 for an HID kit is ALWAYS better off spending an extra $100-$200 or so and some time and effort (don't be a lazy ass) and create something 10x better. Just because you have halogen projectors doesn't make it OK to put HIDs in them. Whether it has become accepted by car enthusiasts as being OK is a different matter. I'm not trying to be condescending, but I'm telling it like it is. If you don't like the facts, then ignorance is bliss I guess.

·
Registered
50 Posts
white3ch0c0late said:
No, I don't get tired of saying it. Like JSM1284 said, halogen projectors with HID bulbs don't even come close in output to a true HID setup. And I'm going to KEEP saying it not because I'm trying to toot my own horn, but because its true, and anyone thats about to spend $200-$300 for an HID kit is ALWAYS better off spending an extra $100-$200 or so and some time and effort (don't be a lazy ass) and create something 10x better. Just because you have halogen projectors doesn't make it OK to put HIDs in them. Whether it has become accepted by car enthusiasts as being OK is a different matter. I'm not trying to be condescending, but I'm telling it like it is. If you don't like the facts, then ignorance is bliss I guess.
I agree with Whitechocolate. If your car doesn't come with HIDs, don't change it. If you want HIDs, go buy a TSX.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts
DipItLow said:
I agree with Whitechocolate. If your car doesn't come with HIDs, don't change it. If you want HIDs, go buy a TSX.
:lol: Well thats not EXACTLY what I said... what I meant is, that if you plan on getting HIDs, the only true setup is by actually using TRUE HID optics, and the only way to do that is by retrofitting optics from an HID equipped vehicle into yours. Any other form of HID can never compare, and shouldn't be considered OK. (This last part about it not being considered OK, of course, is my opinion.)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.