Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE V6
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says my high beams simultaneously blew the other day. The bulbs both have identical holes in them. Some sort of power surge must of caused this. I replaced them with two random bulbs I had in the garage. They are working as of now. I am worried something like an alternator going bad could of caused this. My car has a noticeable whine lately which sounds like a supercharger. Anyone else experience this? 2012 V6 with 155k miles on it.
Plumbing fixture Plumbing Gas Cylinder Machine

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,769 Posts
LOL, I've never seen anything like that! I can only guess overvoltage, I'd look at the alternator, my guess is that the internal voltage regulator allowed a high voltage. Given the whine that you hear could support that as well. You could always put a mechanics stethoscope on it and see if that's where the while is coming from. My 2006 and my 2007 both had at least one alternator each go bad.

Now would be a good time to install some LEDs. I bought a set of LEDs for my wife's '13 for $35 and they are fantastic! I liked that bulb so much I bought the same for my Tacoma driving lights and the Camry driving lights. It made a huge difference, bright, nice and white, better drivability!

Reactions: JDM_Toyota

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
16,049 Posts
LOL, I've never seen anything like that! I can only guess overvoltage, I'd look at the alternator, my guess is that the internal voltage regulator allowed a high voltage. Given the whine that you hear could support that as well. You could always put a mechanics stethoscope on it and see if that's where the while is coming from. My 2006 and my 2007 both had at least one alternator each go bad.

Now would be a good time to install some LEDs. I bought a set of LEDs for my wife's '13 for $35 and they are fantastic! I liked that bulb so much I bought the same for my Tacoma driving lights and the Camry driving lights. It made a huge difference, bright, nice and white, better drivability!
We've not heard of bulbs like that but we have heard of sets of headlight bulbs burning out.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Highlander Platinum 2018 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
23 Posts
I've seen this before when I accidentally touched the bulb with my finger. They say the oil from our fingers could cause a hot spot on the glass that would make the bulb blow. Maybe that happened.

·
Registered
682 Posts
If it was an electrical surge you should have blown fuses and or a burned out relay. But like matharris said it looks like the bulbs were touched and the oil in the skin caused them to shatter,

·
Registered
2015 Camry XSE
202 Posts
I've seen this before when I accidentally touched the bulb with my finger. They say the oil from our fingers could cause a hot spot on the glass that would make the bulb blow. Maybe that happened.
I'd agree with this assessment. Voltage needed to physically blow the glass envelope would be a helluva a lot higher than what the alternator could generate. Even if it could create that type of voltage, the relatively delicate electronics would blow a lot faster than an old school tungsten filament light bulb. Quartz halogen light bulbs get HOT and any contaminants on the glass will burn and stress the bulb significantly.

·
Registered
2015 Camry XSE
202 Posts
If you look at the chemistry behind quartz halogen bulbs, they need to get hotter than regular incandescents in order to reduce the amount of tungsten boiling off the filament and onto the inside fused silica bulb surface. They're just like the bulbs in movie projectors and the like, where they recommend handling them with gloves to keep finger oils off them. While I've never done it because of the damage it would cause, I'd love to take a brand new flashlamp for one of my lasers, handle it with bare hands and run it for a few thousand shots to see what would happen. But, considering a flashlamp is a couple hundred bucks and the laser $50k, I'll not do that test!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Make SURE that you put replacement lamps in there that match what was OEM.
Putting anything other than OEM specified lamps requires a bit of research or you could end up disappointed with the result.

There are a LOT of bulbs on the market that claim to be "better".
I'm sure you have seen some of them out there that fall short of that....
REALLY blue lamps that are not as bright as they should be.
BRIGHTER lamps that blind oncoming drivers and have a SHORTER life.
Of course, high beams WILL blind oncoming drivers and need to be dimmed anyhow, so the margin of error here is greater than for low beam lamps.
LOTS of marketing garbage out there to sell you something that may or may not be even as good as OEM.

LED replacement for high beam is not just a plug and play if your high beam is used for Daytime Running Lamp function as is the case with my 2016 Camry.
If I put a LED bulb in my high beam without the additional modifications (can be done easily) then my Daytime Running Lamp function would not work.
Also, all LED headlamps are not created equally by any measure.
Some can fail early, some can give you a less than ideal light pattern out in front of your car, even blinding oncoming drivers.
You want to get a lamp that is going to last and will give you the correct beam pattern out of the lamp housing.
Again, LOTS of marketing garbage out there.

I DID install LED replacements for my low beam bulbs and experienced a significant improvement over the halogen bulbs that had been in there. However I did my research before buying. My 2016 has projection headlamps for the low beam.
I left the high beam lamps alone with the factory halogen bulbs. I did not have any issue with how they were working, so I saw no gain in changing them.

As others have mentioned, use care to avoid touching the bulb when changing as oil from your skin will cause "hot spots" on the glass that can result in what you ended up with.

Without knowing the history of the bulbs you had in there, it is hard to give a good answer as to why they failed. So I can only offer a couple pointers as to what to replace them with.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Just wanna mention LED headlight don't produce enough heat to melt snow or ice outside the headlight assembly compare to halogen bulb, just wanna let everyone know if they are located on area that snow during winter time

·
Old TN Lurker
2016 Camry
150 Posts
I've used a few different LED bulbs in both low and high beam locations and I do get enough heat to melt snow and ice off. The outside surface of the housing only needs to be slightly above freezing to accomplish this. Regarding the thread, I've used stock bulbs, Sylvania zXe bulbs, and now LEDs in both low and high beam positions and have been happy with all of them. The most likely cause of the failure is finger oils, so be careful if you use halogens again. Plenty of options on what to replace with, just find something you like.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts