Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dads 1990 I4 Camry has recently been idling around 1500-2000RPM, if I remember correctly, where as before it was around 800. When we shift it into reverse to drive, the RPMs go down so I was thinking of cleaning the TB or something haha. Any advice on popular culprits?

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
Did this happen all of a sudden, or gradually? When it gets colder out the car idles at a much higher RPM. Mine is around 1300-1800.

·
Registered
184 Posts
It's been mild here in Raintown the last few days. I'm not familiar with older gen Camry's but does it have a cold start valve ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 99 camry does the same thing in cold weather. Mine has been idling at about 2000 whereas in the summer/spring/fall it was more like 900-1000.

·
Registered
07 XLE Camry
1,299 Posts
geoff5093 said:
Did this happen all of a sudden, or gradually? When it gets colder out the car idles at a much higher RPM. Mine is around 1300-1800.
same here too.. lately its been 1700-1800

but its like that year round for me..
usually at 1500- 1600

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
It should eventually go down to a normal idle as the car fully warms up. I would definitely clean the throttle body. The throttle plate inside it may be sticking in this cold weather. Make sure to also clean the backside of that throttle plate.

Mike

·
Registered
120 Posts
My 1994 Camry idles around 700 rpm's, whether the car is warm or it's cold. Is there a way to get the car to "high idle"?

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
David1990 said:
My 1994 Camry idles around 700 rpm's, whether the car is warm or it's cold. Is there a way to get the car to "high idle"?

Try cleaning the idle air control valve. The port leading to it is a square or diamond shaped port, just inside the throttle body. Take off the big tube leading to the throttle body. Spray throttle body cleaner or O2 safe carb cleaner liberally in to that port. Leave it soak for 5 or 10 minutes. While you are waiting you might as well clean the rest of the inside of the throttle body. Put everything back together and take the car for a ride to get all of the cleaner out of the intake system. Don't be alarmed if the car dies on you a few times. Just start it back up and drive it until the dying stops.

Here's a link to cleaning the throttle body on the V6 engine. The 4 cylinder is virtually identical:

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/30_V6/throttle_body/

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts