Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if this is normal? My 91 tercel 5spd idles at about 2k than after driving for a bit and stopping at alight it will eventually go down to about 1k is this normal? my civic only idle at 700rpm. anything I should get checked out?

·
Registered
124 Posts
sounds like your idle control system is working but your adjustment screw isnt set right. the idle control screw is located on top of the throttle body, its a recessed straight screwand its accessed from the passenger side of the throttle body. I would post pics if i knew how......DAMMIT:dunno: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Start the car and let it come up to temperature, THEN adjust the screw to whatever spec is for your car, usually around 850-900 rpm:dunno: ALWAYS check for air and vacuum leaks as mentioned above....ALWAYS. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah well this one goes down to about a 1000rpm after a little while but its stays at 2 grand for a good 5 -10 mins, is that normal?

·
Registered
15 Posts
91BEATERTERCEL said:
yeah well this one goes down to about a 1000rpm after a little while but its stays at 2 grand for a good 5 -10 mins, is that normal?
It should be fine, I wouldnt worry about it.
Mine always did that......2000 rpm when cold, after running would creep down to about 1000.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Your idle should be just below 1000rpm. Its entirely normal for a cold car to high idle until its warmed up, theres sensors that dont read very well when they're cold to include the O2 sensor. I could go way indepth here but im way too tired. If youve adjusted the idle after its warmed up and its still has'nt dropped while driving around then you might be having a Idle up VSV problem, kinda unlikely though.....but ya never know. Like turbo said its probably ok.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts