Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
162K mi on my 5S-FE with a minor oil leak in 1 of the spark plug wells. Would a high mileage oil or 5w-40 oil seal up the leak?

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Nope. Not gonna work. PLEASEEEE do things the right way and have the leak fixed properly. :)

Oil is leaking into the combustion chamber and you know this because there's oil on the spark plugs... right? Sounds like it could be a bad head gasket or more likely bad piston rings.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think the leak is in the combustion chamber because the oil is on the terminal side of the plug, not the electrode.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Then bad spark plug tube seals? On the 5SFE should be a 30 minute project to take the valve cover off and replace all the seals in there.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then bad spark plug tube seals? On the 5SFE should be a 30 minute project to take the valve cover off and replace all the seals in there.
I hope it's that and not the head gasket or piston rings. I just replaced the NGK iridium IX plugs with Denso twin ground platinums. I'll check again in 2 weeks and if the leak continues I will replace the spark plug tube seals.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Yeah. Tube seals if it's not on the electrode end. :)

·
The Tri-Camry Family
2001 Toyota Camry
1,175 Posts
I had the same problem last year with two of the tubes. I found oil on the spark wires and on top of the spark plugs. I when ahead and reseal all four tubes and valve cover gasket. The oil damage my spark wire so I threw in new denso plugs and NGK wires.

I found this last year which helped me out a lot, the DIY is near the bottom. It's an easy job and a perfect time to paint the valve cover too :D
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276289

Reactions: 1koolcat
1 - 7 of 7 Posts