Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a bluetooth OBD scanner and an app on my phone (OBD Fusion) to check some stats on my car. The engine oil temperature at freeway cruising speed for my base 2016 Corolla 1.8L /w 4spd AT is around 250F, transmission oil temperature is about 150F, and coolant temperature is about 180F. Everything is comparable to my other car, which is a 2016 Highlander LE Plus 3.5L v6., except for the engine oil temperature. The Highlander is at around 155F at highway cruising speed. So I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has looked at their Corolla's engine oil recently so can do a quick comparison. I'm wondering if these engines generally run hot or if there is something else going on and I need to resolve it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
App might be wrong. Try a different app for your OBD scanner. Or a different dongle with your current app.

Do you have a full oil level?
I just placed an order for a new USB dongle just to test. It seems to be working on my other car so that's why I want to see what other people are seeing. The oil is new and slightly on the over filled side.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is your Highlander equipped with an external oil cooler? Usually they are part of the tow package. Just a guess. I don't know if Toyota offers them or not. They are fairly common on domestic pickups and SUV's.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is your Highlander equipped with an external oil cooler? Usually they are part of the tow package. Just a guess. I don't know if Toyota offers them or not. They are fairly common on domestic pickups and SUV's.
It does have an engine oil cooler as part of the tow package. I still think 250F is high oil temperature for an engine though. Then again, I'm old school and these 1.8L engines are running on full synthetic. I'm comparing the reading with another Corolla later this week and I will update this post.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Based on this article 250F looks to be within the 230-260F spec.
"For a dual-purpose car, engine oil needs to be at least 220 degrees F to burn off all the deposits and accumulated water vapor. For every pound of fuel burned in an engine, the combustion process also generates a pound of water! If engine sump temperatures rarely exceed 212 degrees (water’s boiling point), the water will mix with sulfur (another combustion by-product) and create acids that can eventually damage bearings."

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
My oil temp in my daily driver rarely exceeds 180F.

Water and fuel evaporate at room temperature.

I have one engine that if oil temp exceeds 200F, its blown.

I dont think your scan tool is working properly for engine oil temps.

Get a real oil temp guage and sender.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: Same app and OBD reader on another Corolla (2015) and the oil temperature on that Corolla is 175F. I plugged the 2nd dongle in and I got the same reading. So it seems like the OBD dongles and app are working. I used several infrared thermometer to check the oil pan on my 2016 Corolla and it's at 155 degrees. So this is interesting. I will change out the oil filter tomorrow to see if that resolve the issue.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have one engine that if oil temp exceeds 200F, its blown.
i cant speak for these toyota engines but i know atleast one domestic engine, and theres likely many more, that run well over 200f (220f) oil temps as a normal condition. thats with oil cooler, not hauling any weight or towing any load. it was designed that way for whatever reason. maybe something to do with emissions

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: So I changed the oil filter and use the Toyota's 90915-YZZF2 and that did not resolve the issue. Temperature was creeping up to 257F while driving on the freeway. Coolant temperature was reaching 200F before the fan goes on and bring it down to about 190F but engine oil temperature doesn't change.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Use a different app or change your oil temp sender.
I don't think it's the app since it's just reading whatever the data from the USB dongle, and I tried it on 2 different dongles and 3 different cars. It's able to read accurately. There's no leak around the oil sending unit and the oil light is not on, but I placed an order for a replacement just to try it out. The spark plugs are iridium and the car is about 60k miles. So I'm thinking that's not it but may just replace them if the oil sending unit doesn't fix the issue. I'll update this thread again.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
The app does the work. Different vin ranges will have different ecu coding. Maybe the APP has the wrong formula or PID for your specific vehicle. You can either try a differnet app or OBD tool, or you can replace the engine oil temp sensor. Plenty to choose from since dongle just sends all the data! Its the app that translates data for us to read.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Many engines these days are designed to have higher oil temperatures for EPA/fuel economy. Coolant temps have also been increased in many vehicles. It’s not unusual to see engines running oil temps from 225-250°F. Coolant temps from 198-217°F.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts