Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We just purchased a 19 XLE hybrid and were wondering about a few things. I've never driven a Toyota hybrid before so I'm not sure if these are just normal sounds or whatever. The car has 1300 miles on it.

The ICE makes kind of a strange high pitched noise (I tried to record it but couldn't), especially when going uphill, and I've noticed it also seems to vibrate more. I can only hear it with the windows down.

When easing to a stop on a flat road, sometimes the brakes grab at the very end suddenly.

Finally, there are rattles coming from all over the place: somewhere along the A pillars on both sides, behind the instrument cluster, behind each lateral most airvent, somewhere near the center console on the passenger side, etc. This only happens on some road textures but unfortunately one of those highways is my daily commute.

I'm assuming the rattles aren't normal, but was wondering about the brakes and the high pitched ICE noise.

I assume if I take it into the dealer and they say it's normal, I'll be paying a diagnostic fee for nothing right?

Thanks, any information is appreciated.

·
6,226 Posts
Rattles are not normal.
Brakes... maybe. Hybrid braking is set to do most of it via regenerative braking. then, if more stopping power is required, hydraulics kick in. So I am not sure. I never experienced this with my 07 and 12 hybrids but yours is 19, so wait for some of those owners to pitch in.
Whining noise is likely motor generator kicking in with power assist to ICE in higher power demand. They are likely to say that it's normal. Shuddering - not so much. You may have 2 shudders - one when MG engages and one when it disengages. But that's it.
Overall, it looks like yo need software reflash to correct all that. Not noise, nothing you can do about that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Rattles are not normal.
Brakes... maybe. Hybrid braking is set to do most of it via regenerative braking. then, if more stopping power is required, hydraulics kick in. So I am not sure. I never experienced this with my 07 and 12 hybrids but yours is 19, so wait for some of those owners to pitch in.
Whining noise is likely motor generator kicking in with power assist to ICE in higher power demand. They are likely to say that it's normal. Shuddering - not so much. You may have 2 shudders - one when MG engages and one when it disengages. But that's it.
Overall, it looks like yo need software reflash to correct all that. Not noise, nothing you can do about that.
Okay, thanks so much for the reply!

I did end up test driving an LE hybrid and also heard the high pitched noise, so I guess that's normal. But I did not notice any of the vibration/shuddering/resonance in the LE, like what is showing up in our car.

I know from a friend's 18 RAV4 hybrid that some shaking is normal when the ICE turns on and off. But the vibration/shuddering in this case feels different and more noticeable.

I can feel it in the steering wheel.

It is very much more noticeable around 1200rpm (according to the HUD readout), where it feels like it resonates more with the car. Above that it's still noticeable, but more as a noise and less as a physical sensation.

Strangely, overall the LE felt like a smoother and quieter ride. I think partly that's the tires, but even the acceleration felt smoother with less vibration/shuddering/resonance.

Any idea what might be going on with the car? Just not tuned right?

·
6,226 Posts
At what SPEED is shudder? As it may be as simple as bad tire or unbalanced wheel.
No, it should not be shuddering continuously.
This is why I sold my Highlander Hybrid - it had habit of shuddering at rolling speeds, between 25 and 35 mph, and that's exactly when best mpg is obtained. And it was nothing mechanical.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
At what SPEED is shudder? As it may be as simple as bad tire or unbalanced wheel.
No, it should not be shuddering continuously.
This is why I sold my Highlander Hybrid - it had habit of shuddering at rolling speeds, between 25 and 35 mph, and that's exactly when best mpg is obtained. And it was nothing mechanical.
I should have clarified, I didn't notice any vibration/shuddering/resonance in the LE hybrid I test drove.

Hmm that's a good question. I haven't been paying close attention to that, but I would say it's most noticeable from a stop up to about 30 mph, and faster than that it's definitely there, but the tire noise and vibration kind of masks it.

BTW nice job on the renovation, looks very nice! Not sure about the functional changes since I just registered but I'm sure they're good too.

·
6,226 Posts
Hmm that's a good question. I haven't been paying close attention to that, but I would say it's most noticeable from a stop up to about 30 mph, and faster than that it's definitely there, but the tire noise and vibration kind of masks it.

Are you tasking about noise or shudder? Faint whine from 0 to 30 is NORMAL. Faint being key word. NO SHUDDER.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
In that sentence, talking about shudder which also manifests as low frequency vibration noise simultaneously due to the car resonating with the shudder. I can feel it in the steering wheel.

·
6,226 Posts
NO SHUDDER.
NONE.
Take her back and take no "it's normal" bull from them. Those are about the most smooth running cars ever. The only normal GENTLE shudder is when MG engages at take off, then diengages when cruising speed is reached, then when you step on brakes, right towards the end of braking
DAT"S IT.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NO SHUDDER.
NONE.
Take her back and take no "it's normal" bull from them. Those are about the most smooth running cars ever. The only normal GENTLE shudder is when MG engages at take off, then diengages when cruising speed is reached, then when you step on brakes, right towards the end of braking
DAT"S IT.

Okay, Good to know, thanks. I really appreciate all your help with this. Assuming they can't fix it, what would the long run resolution possibly look like?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I went to the dealer, took a tech for a ride, he agreed he could feel what I was feeling right around 1100 RPMs especially going uphill, but then they took it and had two other techs drive it and the techs said it was normal.

Also they left grease stains all over the inside of the car, so that's annoying.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The sudden brake grabbing at the end of a slow stop has happened to me on 3-4x occassions. The frist time, I thought I had hit a pot hole. I drove a 2007 TCH since 2006, and never experienced the sudden braking grabbing in it. I've had my 2019 TCH XLE since July. The first time it happenned it was disconcerting. But it isn't dangerous or a big deal. I don't think it is normal either, though, certainly not normal based on my experience withe TCHs over the last 13 years.

·
6,226 Posts
Exactly. I owned 2 hybrids, 07 TCH and 12 HiHy. None did the grabbing thing ever. HiHy had its own problem, but that's different story.
I'd say, it's one of them "software upgrade" things to do, as those cars are rolling computers, prone to all kinds of Matrix type glitches.
Go back to dealer, take another one of the same models out for test drive in identical conditions. Compare. If it does same - well, there always are g'ol conventional cars that don't. Maybe they are now made that way, who knows. Heard, they electronically created PSD shifting points(jerks) so that owners "know that transmission is actually working".
Go figure.
But don't give up easily or, from now on, it WILL become expensive irritant in your life.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So when I was driving around with a tech in the car, I did manage to reproduce the shuddering, and actually on a hill with the gas pedal depressed to a certain amount keeping the HUD readout right at 1100 RPM the car basically shuddered the entire duration up the hill. Then after they took it for a ride themselves ostensibly with two different techs they said this was normal.

If I go to another dealership, what would be the plan then? Do the same thing but then insist the tech come with me on a test drive in one of their TCHs and show them that it can't be reproduced in theirs?

Also any chance going right when they open would reduce the chance of getting grease stains all over the interior?

·
6,226 Posts
1. their notes are in Toyota national database now. Just saying
2. you tell them upfront to have seats covered because another dealership... be afraid not to say that, YOU are paying for the vehicle and YOU should be respected.
3. No, nothing like that should be happening. Continuous shudder. NOPE.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks. Can you clarify what you mean by "their notes are in the national database" - I get the literal part, I just don't understand the significance

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Every time dealer sees a car, they enter their note into car national database. Any dealer in the US will see that note.
Ok thanks that makes sense. But then it wouldn't change anything about asking a tech to come along for a ride, seeing if I could take the same tech for a ride in one of their new TCHs, etc?

·
6,226 Posts
Nope. It does not matter, really. You are under warranty and can go anywhere you want toand ask for anything reasonable and legal.
Just be upfront with them. It leaves bad taste when someone tries to hide something. tell them as it is - This what happened, this is what they did to my car, I am not happy with them, hence, I am here. You guys have excellent reviews on Google, I am sure you'll provide better service and will gain a customer for life.
A bit of politics won't hurt. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay great. Thanks so much for all your help so far. I am not the best when it comes to stuff like this, even the whole purchase process was so stressful. It took us like 12 tries before we found a salesperson who was willing to help us get the color combo we wanted, lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts