Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what can i use to get my revs to go around 8500, in a 86-89 3sge head, im builging an all out drag car and money really isent that big of a deal because its a hobby

·
Immortal
332 Posts
You need to build the bottom end (stronger lighter rods, higher compression pistons) and upgrade the top end (one piece shims, upgraded valvetrain [springs, retainers, etc...] bigger duration/lift camshafts, headwork)...

The performance aspects aren't required (higher compression, camshafts, headwork, etc...) but there will be no point in spinning the engine 8000+ rpms if you don't do those modifications. If you're going drag... build a 3SGTE... =]

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Balance the crank with rods and pistons. Make sure every set weight the same. Knife edge the crank. Light weight flywheel. Alum pulley wherever possible. You'll need to flow 310 CFM so you'll need full intake and exhaust to match.

·
Immortal
332 Posts
Pineapple said:
Balance the crank with rods and pistons. Make sure every set weight the same. Knife edge the crank. Light weight flywheel. Alum pulley wherever possible. You'll need to flow 310 CFM so you'll need full intake and exhaust to match.
I wouldn't say that's neccesary... but it'll make things safer... 8500 rpms isn't much for the 3sge...

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
I have a 2nd Gen 3S-GE in my Celica and the engine sounds like it's gona blow at 7300 RPM, just before fuel cut off. It's hard for me to see/hear this engine getting revd past 8.000 RPM... besides, shims flying out of their places and spun bearings are not unheard off in these engines. :(

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i am building the bottom end now, i have ross racing pistons and 3sgte rods that have had the forging rib ground off, polished and balanced to the gram, i also have arp main studs and i am going to get arp rod bolts also, if you cant tell, i am building it for boost prob. around 15-20 psi.

·
Always Bored
1994 Celica GTS
267 Posts
Why are you going to boost something that you want to rev to 8500 rpm. I dont even think there is a turbo that goes that still gives power that high up.

Also you probably shouldnt have gotten the rib shaved off the rods. Im not sure how much boost they can handle but you probably weakened it by shaving the rib. You might as well looked at aftermarket anyways.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
the rib on the rods is a high stress point on the rod, thats what it says in some import pro. book i have some were, i know it work because not only have i dont it to the toyota rods but i have also done it to stock honda f22 rods that were made for n/a but now they have held up to 16 psi on them at the track and on the stree for 12 weeks and as for the turbo i was thinking of a t4 with a .96 A/R.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts