Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a scion iM ‘16 CVT. I been experiencing “slippage” high RPm while accelerating from stop around 2k-2500 rpm when car is not in operating them. When on operating temp, car feels good again. I had my valvebody replaced by dealer by warranty because of a “hissing” noise service campaign but I also had my JSD service done prior to changing the valve body.
Should I get my JSD updated redone again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Have a scion iM ‘16 CVT. I been experiencing “slippage” high RPm while accelerating from stop around 2k-2500 rpm when car is not in operating them. When on operating temp, car feels good again. I had my valvebody replaced by dealer by warranty because of a “hissing” noise service campaign but I also had my JSD service done prior to changing the valve body.

Anyone?

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,321 Posts

Not sure how you would know it was slippage on a CVT. If it seems to be obvious I would have the dealer look at it and see if the work needs to be done again or if that is even the issue. CVT's just feel and sound different so many times it can throw your senses off compared to what we know with a standard AT or MT.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Going by "normal" car mechanics, the reason it is "high" is because it is trying to get to normal operating temperature as fast as it can... as in high rpm. You shouldn't be pushing it while it is "cold" anyway. Otherwise take it to the dealer.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,321 Posts
Going by "normal" car mechanics, the reason it is "high" is because it is trying to get to normal operating temperature as fast as it can... as in high rpm. You shouldn't be pushing it while it is "cold" anyway. Otherwise take it to the dealer.
I agree with this too. Always wait for it to warm up before driving it harder. And give it more time than what the coolant temp shows.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Is it a sudden new behavior? Or did it appear right after either the hissing TSB or JSD service campaign? If not, I doubt it has to do with those, especially the JSD, that had a control procedure afterward. It might be just the car working to get to normal temperature. In any event, your best bet is to retrieve codes.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it a sudden new behavior? Or did it appear right after either the hissing TSB or JSD service campaign? If not, I doubt it has to do with those, especially the JSD, that had a control procedure afterward. It might be just the car working to get to normal temperature. In any event, your best bet is to retrieve codes.
It’s been ongoing before n after jsd and hissing TSB. Just wondering if everyone having same exp

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,321 Posts
It’s been ongoing before n after jsd and hissing TSB. Just wondering if everyone having same exp

I can't reply to that part since I have a 6MT and not a CVT. Hopefully some others with a CVT will chime in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've had 2 instances where I might have experienced what you're talking about. First was just pulling out of the driveway and coasting down a very short hill. Went to accelerate at the end and felt like the engine was in the "B" engine braking setting on the gearshift (RPMs jumped to over 2500 with very little actual acceleration). Got off the gas and revs dropped back to where they should be and car drove like normal.

Second instance was almost the same, but pulling out of a parking spot at the grocery store and going up a slight hill. RPMs again jumped to 3000 or so with very little actual acceleration. Pulled into a spot, and turned off / on the car and all was good.

These 2 incidents occured within 2 days from each other, so I took it to the dealer to be safe and of course after an hours labour of "diagnostics", nothing was found. Car has been driving well since though.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you think the technician who changed my Valve Body did not do the proper calibration that needed to be done when replacing a CVT valvebody?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe after valve body replacement few things needs to be done after, Perform Reset Memory, Deceleration Sensor Zero Calibration, and CVt Oil pressure calibration

·
Registered
21 Posts

there is a good chance the dealership didn't get enough CVT fluid in your transmission.
check this video out from Weber State toyota training people. it is a different fluid and from what research i have done, the CVT fluid we have in the new Corollas and iMs expands even more so this proceedure is even more important to make sure it has enough fluid in it. such a lengthy proceedure and equipment needed, it looks like a pain.

but this may be the reason for your slippage issue

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
there is a good chance the dealership didn't get enough CVT fluid in your transmission.
check this video out from Weber State toyota training people. it is a different fluid and from what research i have done, the CVT fluid we have in the new Corollas and iMs expands even more so this proceedure is even more important to make sure it has enough fluid in it. such a lengthy proceedure and equipment needed, it looks like a pain.

but this may be the reason for your slippage issue
You can use the straw in the pan if you are in correct temperature as fluid expands. The reason why he had an extra tool is because he is on the high temp range so he needed a longer straw

·
Registered
21 Posts
You can use the straw in the pan if you are in correct temperature as fluid expands. The reason why he had an extra tool is because he is on the high temp range so he needed a longer straw

correct, from what i understand the new CVT fluid expands more than WS and if that is the case, the window of temperature where the straw that is located in the pan could come and go quickly as the transmission heats up. if the dealership didn't use the tool correctly for the temperature of the fluid at the time the work was done, there is a good chance that not enough fluid is in the transmission. i really hate that there is no dipstick to check the fluid on these. i've looked and there is a place to remove a bolt and put a dipstick but don't know what length of dipstick to use. it is the one thing i really don't like about that car. i have an iM and i love that car but hate that there is no easy way to check the transmission fluid level and condition.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
correct, from what i understand the new CVT fluid expands more than WS and if that is the case, the window of temperature where the straw that is located in the pan could come and go quickly as the transmission heats up. if the dealership didn't use the tool correctly for the temperature of the fluid at the time the work was done, there is a good chance that not enough fluid is in the transmission. i really hate that there is no dipstick to check the fluid on these. i've looked and there is a place to remove a bolt and put a dipstick but don't know what length of dipstick to use. it is the one thing i really don't like about that car. i have an iM and i love that car but hate that there is no easy way to check the transmission fluid level and condition.
Yeah I have done the fluid change myself ever since I posted this. Shifts very well now. I have the Toyota manual PDF for tranny fluid drain and fill.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah I have done the fluid change myself ever since I posted this. Shifts very well now. I have the Toyota manual PDF for tranny fluid drain and fill.

sad that a toyota dealership didn't put enough fluid in. good for you. so glad it's working better. also i can't believe how few people here on this board.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,321 Posts
sad that a toyota dealership didn't put enough fluid in. good for you. so glad it's working better. also i can't believe how few people here on this board.
It seems to me that there aren't very many people that do their own maintenance. Since this thread is about that I think that's why it's quiet. At one point the 10th Gen Corolla forum was crazy busy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts