Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 corolla sport. when engine cold the rpm will be at 2000, then drop to 1800...if left idling the rpm will inrease and rev limiter kicks in, approx 2200. It takes approx 1.5 km of driving for the rpm to start to drop..All the dealer wants top do in check codes..It does this all the time when started cold..Is this normal? Seems odd to me...it is a manual transmission.
TY,
James

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rpm

Since there are no check engine lights etc. I tend to agree..It has been what I am told...just seems odd, I have never had a car that takes 1.5 kms for the revs to come down to close to normal..about 1100 rpm...thanks for the reply.... MDs1

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had the same problem on a 2004 CE Manual and found a solution as below. I cut and pasted from a quick search on TN but somewhere around here is a link to a pdf of the actual TSB. I had to use it to arm twist the boys at Downtown Toyota but they did eventually break down and replace the ECM under warranty. Works fine since.

"TSB2754 Idle Hunting in Sub-Freezing Ambient Temperatures

Some 2003 - 2004 model year [COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important]Corolla[/COLOR][/COLOR] and Matrix vehicles may exhibit an "idle hunting" condition after the vehicle has been cold soaked in sub-freezing ambient air temperatures. During this condition the [COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important]engine[/COLOR][/COLOR] idle will "hunt" or fluctuate instead of maintaining a constant fast idle speed. The Engine [COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important]Control Module[/COLOR][/COLOR]
(ECM) logic has been modified to correct this condition.

Warranties on all 03/04 Corolla or Matrix for 96 months or 130000kms/80000ms with Manual Transmission"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts