Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there any explanation for higher rpm's lowering the engine temperature?

This is something I've noticed a few times over the past couple years. Occasionally while traveling I floor the accelerator with rpm's reaching 54-5600. When I do this, I notice the temperature gauge drop slightly. The regular operating temperature is already just below the half-way point (at least from my perspective sitting in the vehicle); and under the extreme rpm increase, it drops slightly below that. Logically (to my understanding), an rpm increase would also mean a temperature increase. So I'm curious to know what this rpm increase does to cause the temperature gauge to misrepresent the engine temperature.

·
ASE Master, now Realtor
A 1989 Camry
368 Posts
Probably two things are causing this:

1) a thermostat that does not respond to changes in coolant temp as quickly as I'd expect.

2) the incredible amount of coolant being pumped around the engine-to-radiator circuit at 5,600 rpm with the above thermostat not closing to keep the temp up.

I'd replace the 'stat and see if this phenomena does not stop.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
timebuilder said:
Probably two things are causing this:

1) a thermostat that does not respond to changes in coolant temp as quickly as I'd expect.

2) the incredible amount of coolant being pumped around the engine-to-radiator circuit at 5,600 rpm with the above thermostat not closing to keep the temp up.

I'd replace the 'stat and see if this phenomena does not stop.
You've posted in a few of my threads already so you should know the thermostat is new. :lol:

·
ASE Master, now Realtor
A 1989 Camry
368 Posts
If I kept notes on each car posted about by each poster, I would.

I can tell you that it costs about four cents to make a thermostat in the phillipines. Any chance they are bad right out of the box?

Sure. ;)

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
timebuilder said:
If I kept notes on each car posted about by each poster, I would.
Are you telling me that you don't!? :disappoin

timebuilder said:
I can tell you that it costs about four cents to make a thermostat in the phillipines. Any chance they are bad right out of the box?

Sure. ;)
I changed my thermostat early last year after the overheat, and again at the end of last year when I changed the thermostat gasket. To my recollection I noticed the temp gauge thingamajig before the first change. *shrug* Third one's the charm?

Both times they have been AutoZone's Duralast brand. I'll just call it a hidden feature.

·
2010 Camry SE V6
2005 Avalon Limited
3,190 Posts
my 05 does that, the increase in speed pumps the coolant around faster+ as the car moves faster more air gets pumped through the radiator. Plus sometimes the fans kick in when u Flore it, thus dropping the coolant temp. Its completely normal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts