Toyota Nation Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it is normal for camrys to be at 1800 rpm when started, when I put the car into reverse it goes down to about 800rpm. But then if i put it back into park, the engine speed goes back up to 1800 rpm.
Any Ideas,
John

·
5sp 3VZ-FE
camry
729 Posts
mine does that when its cold. Do your rpm's drop eventually??

my dad's 4runner does it too, goes as high as 2000 when first started, but then is fine.

·
VeeZed
1988 Toyota Camry V6
2,298 Posts
hmmmm

It's called an auto choke guys....:eek:

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
^
Suprised someone knew that. Props to you!

It will be like that untill your engine warms up. If you let it sit for a few minutes it will drop. Idle in park doesn't mean much.

I had a friend who ran racing fuel in his car for a race. So he advanced the timing to match. His car idled at over 2,000RPM, but as soon as he put it in first it dropped back down.

·
VeeZed
1988 Toyota Camry V6
2,298 Posts
What's the deal??? I mean, it's one of the most basic of principles. Engine idle at cold start is always high so as to get the fluid running and warm it up. You don't need to replace airfilters and things because of it, it might be good to do those things anyway, if you haven't done for a while, but will not change your engine idle 'phenomenon'.
:disappoin

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
there has been a lot of this lately, "help my transmission shifts funny right after i start my car" and "why cant i go fast with the engine cold?" just gotta keep splaining the engines gotta warm up first :p:

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
We get a thread every week about high RPM's during startup. Do a search people:( .........

P.S. Warm up your engine and it will be fine.

·
VeeZed
1988 Toyota Camry V6
2,298 Posts
Correction: Not ALL cars will idle high at first startup UNLESS they have an auto choke. Most older cars don't and have a choke control which must be pulled before startup.

Lets end this thread here shall we...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.