Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2006 HiHy
15 Posts
nearly 200k on mine

I have a 2006 and about 194k with no unexpected issues.

The inverter has failed twice, once before the recall issue was known, and the second time shortly after. Used to tow a fairly heavy boat with it, and have pulled a trailer all over the US with it.

it recently got hit in the side and rolled. While we await insurance resolution, we were able to drive it home. We'll be parting it out sadly.

Might buy another used 06/07 as they are pretty reasonable now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, our Highlander Hybrid 2006 has 208,000 miles and still going. Radiator went at 150k, replaced, ignition coil went at 120k, we replaced, and we replaced the clutch somewhere north of 100k, and new breaks at 140k.
We drive back and forth from mid state NC to the coast quite frequently.

·
Registered
12 Posts
08 Hybrid coming up on 120k miles. Changed water pump and timing belt at 88k, on schedule. No issues with anything failing so far.

I just checked the recommended service at this mileage and I must say I'm surprised. At this point I was expecting to change out most if not all of the fluids. But in addition to regular oil/filter and checking up on things, it's only calling for changing the spark plugs.

love love love my HiHy!

·
Registered
710 Posts
09 HH almost 39,000 miles. No winter driving until last week when I gave my Corolla to my daughter. Mileage is disappointing in cold weather and driving up and down hills around my home. The only time I can get published mileage is when I am on a beach vacation where there are no hills and it is warm.

·
TN Member
Prius
5,461 Posts
That's nice. However, the hybrids are not really intended for highways, at least not initially. I get the worst mpg on hwy because of my fast driving (at and around around 80 mph) but get the best benefits during weekend cruising trips (like driving along A1A at 35-40mph) or in and around the city (stop and go).

It's would be nice to know if someone has been using HH in the city environment like taxi. Remember the stories of early Prius in Vancouver, BC doing over 300,000k (kilometers I think). I wonder where did it end up. :)
Not really a city but it's within the Arctic Circle!

The nearest Toyota dealership is 750 miles away in Whitehorse. It's driven in permafrost where roads dips and heave and people take the taxi to nearby towns 200 miles away cause it's cheaper than flying. There were a couple of warning lights but the vehicle is running fine with no weird noises lol.

The Prius taxi in Vancouver was sent back to Japan (2001 Prius) and he was given a 2003 Prius. He made it his private vehicle in 2004 and bought a new 2004 Prius as his cab. It's off the road now after 1,500,000 km (just under 940,000 miles).

http://driving.ca/toyota/prius/auto-news/news/hybrid-highway-trailblazing-cabbie

·
Registered
07 Camry Hybrid, 76
11 Posts
I'm really interested in this thread as I want to buy a HiHy next. I currently own an 07 Camry Hybrid that I've owned from new. The Camry has 155,000 miles, still returns close to 6 litres per 100k or 39 mpg and has been extremely reliable. Water pump under warranty, brakes at 120,000 miles and a neutral safety switch.
I read somewhere that some HiHy's have suffered expensive inverter failures, is that still a problem with newer models? Are there any other problems I should know about?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Traded 09 w/ 135k

We just traded in our 09HHy with over 135k miles on it. Other than shoes and other routine stuff, the only thing that went bad was the motor on the rear door hatch --- too expensive to repair, so we opened manually the last year. Replaced the 12v battery once, but the hybrid battery still good to go. Got a 15 HHy and loving it :grin:--- except the bluetooth really sucks.:frown:

·
Registered
5 Posts
2009 AWD 120K... Hybrid mechanic said all is well with it, I got under the car all looked OK, good service record, I am purchasing later today. Am I crazy? I need to push this thing to 200k at least and expect that's possible with proper maintenance.

·
Registered
320 Posts
2009 AWD 120K... Hybrid mechanic said all is well with it, I got under the car all looked OK, good service record, I am purchasing later today. Am I crazy? I need to push this thing to 200k at least and expect that's possible with proper maintenance.

toyota will work for you if taking care of..
how much you are paying for the car

I got mine recently at just under 90k hybrid base for around 14K
It was a great deal
spent around 1000$ so far on it

got HID headlight projectors retrofit on it
changed interior exterior to LED lights
changed rotors and brakes to ceramic performance
got fancy Lund all weather floor mats (new york weather is a b***ch lol)
got a new remote for it and programmed
changing the radio unit to Android base screen radio DVD Nav
leather seat covers costs too much but if I find something for 300 that looks good I will get that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Dr.
15k even + 1k taxes. Its ltd and I thought it was a fair price. Probably could have pushed the guy lower but I'm happy w/ it. Just signed the title over 30 min ago. I'll look into the android setup and LED lights. Are you happier with the new headlights? Probably need some floor mats too..

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hey Dr.
15k even + 1k taxes. Its ltd and I thought it was a fair price. Probably could have pushed the guy lower but I'm happy w/ it. Just signed the title over 30 min ago. I'll look into the android setup and LED lights. Are you happier with the new headlights? Probably need some floor mats too..
inside the car LED is needed for me..

x2 map lights
x2 outside mirror lights
x2 lights in the door
and the dome lights
are bare minimum and it is very easy (beside the mirror) if yu get chinese light make sure they are 5630 LED chips

HID is not needed but I had it in my prius and was spoiled with it so I just have to have them .. it is a lot of work so make sure you are up for it

for floor mats I got the following from autoanything ... they price match very easily with amazon and they are very good . they have 20% of now that works on these

Lund Catch-It Floor Protectors
Front Row Floor Liners
2008 Toyota Highlander
(All Highlander models)
Part #: 283037-G
$79.99
Lund Catch-It Floor Protectors
2nd Row Floor Liners
2008 Toyota Highlander
(All Highlander models)
Part #: 383037-G
$59.99

MAXLINER MAXFLOORMATS
3rd Row Floor Liners
2008 Toyota Highlander
(All Highlander models)
Part #: C2037
33$

for the radio you can go with cheaper wince models or more versatile Android models 350$ vs 450$ from china
that is whole toppic for itself

congrats on the great car.. you got a hybrid?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Proud owner of a 09 HiHy! Thank you for the recommendations. First step replace the nylon plastic screws that snapped off when swapping license plates at the dmv.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2008 HiHy Limited with 113K miles. No major issues besides normal wear-n-tear/age issues. I followed the scheduled maintenance program (including replaced timing belt at 90K, hybrid inverter coolant replaced at 85K, hybrid transmission fluid replaced at 95K). I also got a free replacement of the IPM power module due to a recall (I heard it would have been a lot of money to fix). The car is running great. When I got the car, I bought the 6 year/100K extended warranty, but I never had to use it. Of the 5 cars I owned in my life, (and 4 that my wife had), the Highlander was the only one with no extra issues. Very reliable vehicle, IMO.

·
Registered
18 Posts
2008 Hybrid (non-Limited) bought from a friend at 75,000 miles in 2012, oil change and tire rotation every 5,000mi, and work done since:

• 105,000mi - Timing Belt & Water Pump
  • 130,000mi - IPM replaced under recall
  • 145,000mi - All 4 struts and both lower control arms replaced ( integral bushings had perished). 12V battery died next day, #3 installed.
This is our (up to) 4 adults go from the SF Bay Area to Disneyland about monthly car in relative comfort road trip car.

There's also a possibility of going up to Vancouver Island (and Vancouver proper) for some hockey in September (Go Sharks!)

·
Registered
2007 HiHy Limited
13 Posts
145,000mi - All 4 struts and both lower control arms replaced ( integral bushings had perished). 12V battery died next day, #3 installed.
Did the struts and arm make a huge difference?
2007 here w 115K and thinking about it already. Haven't spent much outside of regular maintenance (timing belt/water pump was about $1k). Need to replace driver visor so shopping ebay, etc.
Love it, wish I could have bought two when I bought it used in Jan 2011 w 47k.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did the struts and arm make a huge difference?
2007 here w 115K and thinking about it already. Haven't spent much outside of regular maintenance (timing belt/water pump was about $1k). Need to replace driver visor so shopping ebay, etc.
Love it, wish I could have bought two when I bought it used in Jan 2011 w 47k.
Oh yes, the handling, ride comfort and steering sharpness improved markedly. Hopping on the freeway to look down and see that you're doing 80MPH+ not the 55MPH you think it should feel like has been interesting.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts