Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just bought my '98 XLS last week w/ 115k miles. She rides like a dream. I replaced the front calipers since one was damaged and the piston was dragging a tad.

I look forward to "tuning her up" w/ some Powerfoam/Seafoam, new filters and Amsoil synthetic.

Based upon all I am hearing here, she'll have a long good life!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Socrates said:
My 96 xl .... I just bought some 16" rims off of an 02 mustang.....
The Mustang 5 lug pattern will work for the Avalon? REALLY..???? Hmmm.... Might mount my '95 Cobra R rims on her and see how she looks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
On the mpg note, I just finished a 600 mile trip yesterday on interstate. I held odometer to my standard 75-77mph pretty well. I was VERY happy to see my mpg after fill up at 31, same as my recently departed '93 Saturn SL2.

What a testament to Toyota engineers that I am getting the same gas mileage on such a bigger engine/ car on the highway!! Nice job guys!

Around town is noticably lower - somewhere around 22mpg, but not determined yet - only had this a week.

Still have to do some cleaning/ maintenance - particularly install synthetic oil/tranny fluid which should increase it a tad more.

Very impressed w/ this car!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 97 Avalon Xl with 130,000 miles. All I had to do so fair that was major was change the lower control arm, timing belt, and valve cover gasket.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have 2! I bought my 97 new and now has 228K and just needs strut bushings. Based on that success, bought my 98 last year with 150K , needed strut bushings too, but now has 157k and runs like a top. Seems like they'll run for ever:clap:

·
Registered
204 Posts
pedro2u said:
I have 2! I bought my 97 new and now has 228K and just needs strut bushings. Based on that success, bought my 98 last year with 150K , needed strut bushings too, but now has 157k and runs like a top. Seems like they'll run for ever:clap:
you need the upper strut mounts? may I ask why? is it because it's making a clunking noise goin over bumps? mine does the same even with new mounts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It helps to have 2 Avalons. When I replaced the upper mounts on the 98 it was suddenly like riding in a new car ( previous owner changed the struts but not the mounts or bearings). Since the 97 has the same "clunk" (and newer front struts) I'm going with mounts and bearings. Make sense ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
You've got struts on all 4 wheels, not shocks, and if you've gotten 110K+ out of them, the ride is spongy, and /or they "clunk", it's time. The mounts and the bearings should be changed at the same time as the struts. People taking short cuts change the struts but not the mounts/bushings to save a buck, but it bites the owner a few miles down the road. When you have to pay for the same amount of labor later to replace the mounts/bushings when it could have been done at the same time as the struts with no add'l cost. Pay me now, or pay me double later

·
Registered
204 Posts
i have 95k on it right now, the sounds isnt that bad so i'll drive it till it gets louder. My bro is a toyota tech said its all fine so I'll take his word for it.

On another note, since we are on topic of highest milage first gens. here's one I found on ebay with 343k miles says it still runs and drives good.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-TOYOTA-AVALON-XLS_W0QQitemZ270159630887QQihZ017QQcategoryZ6783QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-TOYOTA-AVALON-XLS_W0QQitemZ270159630887QQihZ017QQcategoryZ6783QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
61 Posts
Have a '99, runs very well at 178k. Having to replace the front struts because the replacement bushings were junk. And I ready to change out the sway bar end links, but it runs very well, is very comfortable and truly a bargain in todays world. Gone the normal, rack boots, right axle and lots of brakes, but nothing to motor other than timing belt and water pump.

·
Registered
2007 camry
21 Posts
We have a '98 with 180k leaking a small amount of oil and loses oil pressure at high rpm. Other than that it's fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2000-Avalon said:
i have 95k on it right now, the sounds isnt that bad so i'll drive it till it gets louder. My bro is a toyota tech said its all fine so I'll take his word for it.

On another note, since we are on topic of highest milage first gens. here's one I found on ebay with 343k miles says it still runs and drives good.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-TOYOTA-AVALON-XLS_W0QQitemZ270159630887QQihZ017QQcategoryZ6783QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-TOYOTA-AVALON-XLS_W0QQitemZ270159630887QQihZ017QQcategoryZ6783QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

HOLY MOLY!! 343k miles!!! I hope my Avalon reaches that point. These are some long lasting cars. I remember reading some book on best used cars in a Virgin Megastore. It rated EVERY type of vehicle and the Avalon was like 1 of 6 cars that had the best rating in the whole book! folks this is a very good car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
only 175k on my 1995

Purchased in '98 with only 30K. My son now has it at college and it's still going strong at over 175k. Did have to replace the steering R&P early on, but other than that... been a fantastic car with great gas mileage. Always been the preferred travel car for the 4 of us as it is very roomy inside.
Just purchased an 04 Avalon and looking to put 200K on it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Good to hear all these stories... I saw a '98 Avalon for private sale , it's a really nice looking XL, but it has 250,000 miles on it, and the seller wants 4950 for it, I don't think he's going to get anything near what he's asking for it, even though he claims he's selling it for $500 less than KBB retail value, only because it just has too many miles...I don't think anyone would buy it for $4950 based on that fact alone. I made an inquiry on behalf of a friend of mine who is looking for a used avalon. The seller says he's maintained it well, done all required service, and has records to prove it. The only reason he's selling it is because he said he got a fantastic deal on a Solara and could'nt pass it up. I told him that he may as well keep the avalon and run it into the ground, or make it a "hand me down" car for one of his family members or a relative. I mean... why sell it, if it's in fantastic running condition, and you're not going to get anywhere near your asking price? Anyone else agree?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree

He won't get anywhere near what he's asking... probably needs the cash to cover the Solara purchase. Better off to keep it if it's that good.

·
Posting via iPhone/iPad
92 miata
1,117 Posts
190k and they beleive someone in the line before me of owning her rolled her back about 100k.... oops. Oh well, I got a deal on it and she is running perfect. As long as I wasn't doing the rolling and it was done a couple owners ago, I'm good (legally).

21 - 40 of 293 Posts