Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 80 of 298 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Toyota Tundra
303 Posts
Big question to those with 200K+ miles: How do you guys pass smog check? My Avalon barely passed it this time around and it might not go through it again....

·
Avarollin?
1996 Avalon XLS
923 Posts
I just changed my oil at 215K, woot :D
I went in for emmisions at 210k, You cant have a trouble code, and thats the main part of the test.
But when I listen really carefully the engine / exhaust goes "bop bop bop bop" ):

·
Super Moderator
13,164 Posts
Like my sig line says, 203K. And it still runs like new. Had to put CV shafts and a starter in it while I've owned it. My father in-law was the PO, and it gave him very little trouble.

[Dr. Evil]
Pritty standard, really.
[/Dr. Evil]

·
Registered
68 Posts
99 XLS. Passed 150K miles with original spark plugs & timing belt.
However, changed the struts 3 months ago. Also, changed o2 sensor month ago. Will do tune-up & timing celt change soon.

·
Registered
2002 Toyota Tundra
303 Posts
99 XLS. Passed 150K miles with original spark plugs & timing belt.
However, changed the struts 3 months ago. Also, changed o2 sensor month ago. Will do tune-up & timing celt change soon.
Can't believe you havent changed any of those.... Time belt should have been replaced ages ago (it should have been replaced twice by now)... congrats on your car still running well! :eek:

·
Registered
68 Posts
When I asked my mechanic about timing belt change, he looked @ me like I was a nut. He said that the deteriating timing belt can be detected by the noise, & changing it before than happens is unnecessary.

·
Registered
2002 Toyota Tundra
303 Posts
When I asked my mechanic about timing belt change, he looked @ me like I was a nut. He said that the deteriating timing belt can be detected by the noise, & changing it before than happens is unnecessary.
I'm only following what Toyota advises, so u know... its all up to the driver!:clap:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I intend to do timing belt replacement soon. I already bought Water pump, Crank seal, Cam seal, etc... from Toyota Dealer. Was planning to get the timing kit (belt, idler, & tensioner) from CNS motors in e-bay, because dealer parts for these belt $39, idler $63, & tensioner $70 total of $172 vs CNS kit is $50. Are these good stuff?? or still stick with dealer for these items? I am thinking of buying Mitsuboshi (MBL Toyota OEM) belt. There are so many brands for idler & tensioner, but what to choose? What is reliable, but doesn't cost like dealer parts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
i would buy a quality belt tensioner. i changed my wifes pt cruiser turbo, belt tensioner bolt sheared after 3 months. i had to take it all apart a second time. my avalon has 218000 miles and going strong. just changed my cv shafts out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 99 currently has 218k on it now. Last major R&R was the T-Belt, water pump, T-Stat, tensioner & idler bearings, crank seal, drive belts, valve cover gaskets, intake manifold gasket, front strut mounts.

Front driver side still has knocking noise while going over bumps after R&R strut mounts this past weekend. Since I was in a hurry, I didn't bother to inspect struts and driver ball joint...DOH! My first guess is the struts need to be replaced since these KYBs have at least 75k miles on them.

Carl

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
My mothers 95 just hit the big 250,000. It was at 200ppm for hydrocarbons (or however its measured) and the limit was 200. Dump extra ethanol in the tank before you get it tested and it will surely pass...just don't use too much ethanol or else the results will be too low and they will be suspicious.

Her car is blowing whitish-grey smoke out the tailpipe, and has stalled on occasion. Sadly we might have to retire it soon, but getting her to give up that car would probably make balancing the budget seem like a simple task.

·
Registered
202 Posts
late 1998 xls 210,000 miles no problems... doing the timing belt and water pump tomorrow...

other then that chilling... bought it brand new for 29,000 fully loaded with trac control and memory seats and the upgraded sound package or w.e and it doesnt have a bench...

·
Registered
2 Posts
My only problems have been a brake caliper, one oxygen sensor replaced, CD player replaced, and AC head amplifier (computer) replaced, and recently, the starter. I find that electrical problems have been the major issue. Right now my radiator fan is running constantly; maybe a sensor? Otherwise it runs absolutely great. No oil use at all, no tranny problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
update: my 1995 Toyota Avalon XLS just reached 204,000. I love this car, but Im getting tired of it. At this point Im just driving it to see if I can break the guiness book of world records for most miles on a car lol.

61 - 80 of 298 Posts