Toyota Nation Forum banner

101 - 120 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Avalon
6 Posts
Bought my 97 XLS with 140XXX and just drove from Kansas City to Los Angeles. Needed new front struts first but otherwise its solid. Driving from Los Angeles to Orlando to New Jersey in a few weeks. Fingers Crossed!:):D

·
Registered
9 Posts
bought my 97 back in 2006 with 207k miles on it for $3,500. Right now it has 270k miles, and is going strong. have replaced timing belt (preventive maintenance) and front strut mounts (eliminated clunking noise that scared the crap out of my then to be wife, haha). car's been great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a '97 Avalon which I purchased from my father -in-law and it currently has close to 270K miles. We have had the car for approximately 5 years and have not replaced any major components except normal wear and tear, i.e. belts, brake pads, etc. Still rides smooth and strong.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New here. My 95 Avalon has 277K miles on it and drives like new. I drive many new company sedans for business trips and none compare to my '95 baby. Only basic maintenance over the 8yrs I've had it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also new here. Just bought a salvaged '99 Avalon XLS with 147k on it. I can only hope that is gets to 200+k! Reading this thread really makes me feel good about my new purchase.

-gok

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought my 95 xls june 1997 with 74,000 kms. some 13 years the car has 367,000 kms.
racks in need of replacement for the second time. the car shows its age. anyhow with three little one its time for the move to a sienna.
Great cars these avalons

·
Registered
highlander 2001
37 Posts
well im amazed not only with the melleage but Im always thought american can change cars very often i read the car companies release ther cars for 199 dollars at month, so why you dont buy a new car_? if they are cheap or esasy to get, i buy my avalon here in mexico for 2300 dollars, with 138000 miles and its in good shape, I always trust toyota , never let me down, and resale price is very good

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 97 Avalon xls has 202k miles on it. I just replaced the valve cover gaskets as they were leaking oil and inside the engine was clean as a whistle! I do my oil changes every 3,500 miles and I drive it like I stole it and I expect at least another 50k out of it. the only thing that ever happened that was weird was at 145k all the bolts holding in the inside, left half-shaft fell out all at once on I-4 in Tampa... fun. Other than that and one small rust spot, no issues!

·
Registered
1 Posts
1996 xls 278k

I haven't read the entire thread, but I own a 1996 XLS and have reached 278,000 miles. Its a great car and love it. Hope to get 400K. Have replaced all four struts last summer and of course brakes a couple of times, but for the most part the car has been trouble free.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
:respect: Thanks to everyone who kept this thread going.... man I had no idea it would be this popular... Everyone make sure you keep it alive by periodically updating mileage logs!! :chug: Has anyone that you know of hit the magic 500k mark and gotten toyota to buy the car back for historical milestone significance or whatever?? I heard they do that.

·
Registered
2009 Camry Hybrid
12 Posts

·
Registered
highlander 2001
37 Posts
update MINE IS 138990 MILeS NOW, i replaced struts yesterday and now it feels like new, i just need to find some little gear that open the sunroof, it wont open for that but they sell the complete sunroof .yes they are crazy,

·
Registered
95.5 Tacoma
261 Posts
My parents 96 Avalon now has 190,000 miles and I am doing some engine work on it. Timing belt, water pump, seals, idlers, tentioner, and a valve cover job including the cover gaskets, pcv, and gromet, half moons, plugs, wires, coolent by pass hose, thermostat, all hose clamps, radiator cap, red coolent, intake cleaning and gaskets, fuel injector gromets, injector cleaning, fuel filter, vaccum lines, trans and diff fluid change.
We plan to hit 300k in this Avy

101 - 120 of 293 Posts