Toyota Nation Forum banner

141 - 160 of 293 Posts

·
Banned
199 Posts
Hows do your avalon handle so well? I have excessive front end body lean when turning, and steering is loose lol. Our quest handles better than both avalons. The xterra is like a sports car, stays flat no matter what.
these cars handle super well. however, i believe the coil springs were faulty from the beginning. if you have not replaced your coils, that might well be the reason. still, my coils were beaten down the night i did the thing with the corner - lol!

mine simply will not lean. those sway bars are massive, for a car that size! i don't understand how you could have front end body lean... that implies it somehow quits, before it gets to the rear? woah! what a thought!

once i was late for a turn and zipped across the median at 55 mph. just flicked the wheel. slid a bit, that time. it was marvelous. dead neutral. no over/under steer... just a reverse flick and a little push on the pedal brought it right back in line.

i dunno. can you drive? if not no car will handle for you... it's about merging with the cart - making it an extension of your body... empty words for most people, i think. i was never good at math... lol

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
these cars handle super well. however, i believe the coil springs were faulty from the beginning. if you have not replaced your coils, that might well be the reason. still, my coils were beaten down the night i did the thing with the corner - lol!

mine simply will not lean. those sway bars are massive, for a car that size! i don't understand how you could have front end body lean... that implies it somehow quits, before it gets to the rear? woah! what a thought!

once i was late for a turn and zipped across the median at 55 mph. just flicked the wheel. slid a bit, that time. it was marvelous. dead neutral. no over/under steer... just a reverse flick and a little push on the pedal brought it right back in line.

i dunno. can you drive? if not no car will handle for you... it's about merging with the cart - making it an extension of your body... empty words for most people, i think. i was never good at math... lol
yes I can drive lol. In 97, the sway bar was reduced to 19mm, so that MAY be way, or the end links may be shot. Mine will lean just driving 45mph and following the ziz zags in the road. I haven't replaced coils, they look new, all struts a KYBs. Yeah if I tried cutting across the highway like that, I am asking for an accident. I just don't understand why the handling is so bad, even unsafe. This car hasn't had an alignment in 6 years, maybe that has something to do with it lol.

·
Banned
199 Posts
yes I can drive lol. In 97, the sway bar was reduced to 19mm, so that MAY be way, or the end links may be shot. Mine will lean just driving 45mph and following the ziz zags in the road. I haven't replaced coils, they look new, all struts a KYBs. Yeah if I tried cutting across the highway like that, I am asking for an accident. I just don't understand why the handling is so bad, even unsafe. This car hasn't had an alignment in 6 years, maybe that has something to do with it lol.
mine's a 97

the end links will raise he77 if they're loose, as will the sway bar "bushings" (made of rubber). how much space between your tires and the wheel wells? should be at least 3 inches. if not...

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
mine's a 97

the end links will raise he77 if they're loose, as will the sway bar "bushings" (made of rubber). how much space between your tires and the wheel wells? should be at least 3 inches. if not...
Opps I meant 98-99.

Bushings are new. Again today I was runnning late to school, and I tried zipping across lanes, the car was all over the place.:headbang: I was only doing about 50mph on a city road. There is alot of play in the steering wheel. I can fit about 3 fingers between the tires and wheel well. I should be keeping the car for a while so I have been contemplateing buying lowering springs and see if those will help.

·
Banned
199 Posts
Opps I meant 98-99.

Bushings are new. Again today I was runnning late to school, and I tried zipping across lanes, the car was all over the place.:headbang: I was only doing about 50mph on a city road. There is alot of play in the steering wheel. I can fit about 3 fingers between the tires and wheel well. I should be keeping the car for a while so I have been contemplateing buying lowering springs and see if those will help.
you need coils, tie rod ends and possibly ball joints. do NOT use lowering springs, or anything else that changes the geometry of the front end, 'cause the alignment is FIXED. all that can be set is the toe-in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Got my 1996 Avalon XL gold package at 120k in 2005 its at 202k now. No major problems at all since I owned it and just routine maintenance from old age had me replace the cv axles and struts that were stock on it from 96. A very good car to own.

·
Registered
4 Posts
have a 96 avalon, bought it with 163k and it just broke 200k, 3rd owner, got it when I was 17 and I drove the shit out of it(still do sometimes) and it still runs like a champ, only thing thats been replace is the oil pan gasket.

·
Registered
2007 Tundra Double
90 Posts

Our 95 Avalon is still chugging along with 267,000 on the odometer. Typical problems along the way. Fantastic car. We bought it from a friend with 105,000 on it and have not changed the plugs yet!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Awesome!!!

Thanks again to everyone for keeping this thread alive!!!! This thread may even last longer than most Avalons out there...NOT!!! :chug::respect:

·
Registered
84 Posts
240k and some change....

wife bought it at about 160 k... replaced some suspension things (from my abusive driving over speed bumps and such on deliveries), alternator, one control arm, ...now needs the other arm control, new struts, and new gasket as is leaking a bit of oil, a window control, .... other than that not too many problems. I am really curious about how long do these cars last until you get to repairs for over 1000 $ prices (like ac, transmission, etc...)

·
Super Moderator
12,811 Posts
I am really curious about how long do these cars last until you get to repairs for over 1000 $ prices (like ac, transmission, etc...)
Good question! I still don't know the answer, with 318k on my Camry and 246k on the Avy!

·
Registered
84 Posts
318 sounds awesome, I'd rather save the money than just roll in a new ride, as long as the avy drives ok, ac good, and my radio.....i'm all happy...

avy should be a bit better than camry right???... or just more luxury.... and pretty much the same.... I hope I can pass 300k with no major issues that I can not fix myself....

·
Registered
97 Avalon
16 Posts
Just rolled it over to 200k. Runs like a champ to. Hoping to get 300K out of it and my wife loves it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
97 and its almost at 99k. Parents bought it used but never drove it much until i had to drive to school and work. Looks like i'll be needing a timing belt change? Wanting a new car cause the gas mileage is killing my pockets. Dont get my wrong, I love driving the Avalon but need a gas saver.=/

·
Registered
84 Posts
same here but....no extra cash....and going back to payments, when I have had none for years thanks to my avy and wife's corde..... with minimal repairs as far as price goes.....so i'm still spending gas money....:)

·
Banned
170 Posts
97 and its almost at 99k. Parents bought it used but never drove it much until i had to drive to school and work. Looks like i'll be needing a timing belt change? Wanting a new car cause the gas mileage is killing my pockets. Dont get my wrong, I love driving the Avalon but need a gas saver.=/
i have a 99 mazda 626 (5 speed) that's an extremely fuel efficient vehicle. needs the hood painted and that's all. runs and drives like new - seriously.

i would trade for a nice avvy...

·
Registered
10 HL SE & 2003 Taco
206 Posts

This car has great gas mileage. It's using regular gas and I am getting 26 average. I sold my 2008 Lexus IS350 (Premium gas killer) and bought this roomy 1998 Avalon XLS used from the original owner with only 93k miles. All services done by the dealer. They replaced the timing belt and water pump at 70k miles :) It was a from a doctor and PhD old couple.

·
Registered
1997 Toyota Avalon X
9 Posts
247.2k miles!

I don't drive much nowadays (5 miles each way to work) but the mileage accumulation has slowed down a bit. Had it since new. Will be 250k miles soon I am sure.. !!

Working on it last night to change out the direct clutch speed sensor.. now just 1 more code to go (O2 sensor) and it will be ready for inspection.. ha! :thumbsup:

Plan to keep it forever.. !

141 - 160 of 293 Posts