Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering, w/o changing anything from stock, what is the highest wattage high beam i can use in my 94 XLE?

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts
You can use any wattage you want, but if you go higher than 65W, you risk melting the harness and wires.

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,764 Posts
Don't you want your wattage to be as low as possible? I wouldn't risk having my wattage over 45.

1.) It can put you in risk of melting and frying your wire harnesses
2.) It can damage your headlight housing and reflectors due to extreme temperatures.
3.) It drains your batteries faster.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts
^Stock bulbs are 55W low beam, 65W high beam..

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,764 Posts
Well thanks for correcting me. I'm smoking one too many apples to realize my stupid mistake. :lol:

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts
^ :lol: No worries, Phil. We all make mistakes. But yeah, those are the stock wattages. I've heard of people going higher with no adverse effects. But then again, I've heard of even more people going higher and then finding their headlights don't work one day, and when they popped their hood, the harness and wires were melted.

So sanfelice, if I were you, I wouldn't go higher than the stock wattages if you're on stock harnesses.

·
1993 Camry XLE
93 CamXLE/73 Lincoln
1,083 Posts
Hmm, I think the ones I have in my 93 XLE are 90watts.

Yeah... They are. It's been over a year and nothing bad has happened. But I didn't know this and wouldn't recommend taking the risk.

·
The Cool Guy
Toyota Camry 02
2,564 Posts
i had 80 w bulbs in mine for a year and a half, nothing bad happened. although draining so much power sucks =/

·
Mr. DSM
339 Posts
When you guys buy these *aftermarket* bulbs.

Do NOT assume that because they have "100/110 watts" displayed on the package, that they will DRAW excessive ammounts of current from your system.

They claim 'output of 90 watts' for example, but read everything carefully and you might come across something like 'while using as much current as your OE bulbs' or '110 watt output from 65 watt source'

They shouldn't even classify brightness in watts, watts is simply a function of heat. P = I^2 * R.
To acheive more light output, some bulbs use different gasses and different filaments under pressure. And that's not even getting into the discharge types (HID)

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
They really don't classify brightness in terms of watts because that is a measure of power.

They also really do not output the equivalent light of a 110W bulb because many times, their increased color temperature gives the illusion of increased brightness (ie Silverstars) or they mess with the filament to shape it in a way that makes one very hot spot but not as bright in other areas. That's how they can claim a very high candella - candella is the measure of brightness in one spot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts