Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Highlander - price, better quality control, more space, dealer network. Oh, did I mention PRICE?

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
Tesla's Web site is horrible... it took a lot of searching to find out that there are fold-down 3rd row seats! They also don't give any kind of details about all of the little features of the car we love to pick at around here and that separate the various trim levels on the Highlander. Who knows what you'd be giving up that Highlander has that Tesla does not. Tesla just pushes the big things such as electric, autonomous driving (asterisk), and over-the-air updates for all of the computers on the car.

At least the Model S has a real dashboard. The less-expensive models only have the center tablet-style display, and not even heads-up display!

I think the cost is still very high for the Tesla, especially when you can't figure out what comfort and convenience features it has. A lot of people buy into the notion of never buying gas again, but then they're surprised because their electric bill went up to offset any savings from no longer visiting the gas station. I think it's becoming common for Tesla owners to buy solar panels as a way to try to offset some of the cost of ownership. But then solar panels cost money, and need maintenance...

I know there's a big push to get rid of gas-powered vehicles. I'm still not convinced electric is the answer. The batteries are still a big issue - while the car may not have any harmful emissions, the manufacture and disposal of the batteries is becoming a bigger and bigger problem. Range is an issue too. While it's improving, most people won't want to wait for several hours to recharge and go again. Toyota has had a lot of success in Japan with the Mirai, their hydrogen fuel cell vehicle. But without other manufacturers considering that technology, there will not be enough hydrogen fuel refilling stations, so unfortunately that may never work out in the U.S.

EDIT: The title of the thread was "Tesla Model S" when I posted. Now it's "Model Y". That's one of the lesser models with no dashboard and no heads-up display. That's not even a car to me; I can't even imagine looking down at the tablet for something as basic as the speed of the car. Don't care what the price is, the Highlander is much nicer for the money.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Tesla is worth only from 85 D min and up. 100 D is optimal for family. I don't have garage to charge and 110 V from outlet is not practical.
I would not buy as of right now even I like the car. The property association needs to install charging staion at least 3 spots reachable. I asked them they don't see a profit.

I see a btter future with Hybrid cars for many americans, as not everyone lives in house with garage, and even this not practicle until DC power can be done in every house. So It needs to have battery packs from Tesla, Solar power and after that make all sense to buy Tesla.
That is like 300K project

·
Registered
486 Posts
Toyota. Tesla has very poor build quality. Lot of complaints about lack of noise insulation, panels not lining up, door handles not working, etc. Also, there is a lack of charging stations. It's fine in urban areas, but if you plan on driving in rural areas or traveling around the country, you have to plan around charging stations. Then, you have to wait and wait and wait for it to charge. It's not a 5 minute gas up and go.

Reactions: dklanecky

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
One of these days they may all wake up to the fact that electrical regeneration efficiency is pitiful(around 30%). When they resolve that issue they will have the range needed to make the IC vehicle truly obsolete and it will cost less than any current technology, even the IC vehicle it will replace.
Until that time I will keep my two older vehicles that have cost me 31 gallons of fuel to drive them since 11/31/20.
What are the two highest cost incurred in driving any car, especially new ones. Kind of like asking anyone how many taxes you pay yearly (it's close to 100). The tea party was a revolt against a 3% tax.
You get about 85% of the energy when you charge a battery in an electric car. Better solutions will be coming soon I hope, but until then the early adopters will pay dearly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's about goverment control over your life, the generation electricity is only government control, to be either Hydro, Nucler station . The oil production is private companies and prices control by OPEC, max what is the gover can do tax you at gastation. With electricity they can do black out easy and you don't go any where .

One of these days they may all wake up to the fact that electrical regeneration efficiency is pitiful(around 30%). When they resolve that issue they will have the range needed to make the IC vehicle truly obsolete and it will cost less than any current technology, even the IC vehicle it will replace.
Until that time I will keep my two older vehicles that have cost me 31 gallons of fuel to drive them since 11/31/20.
What are the two highest cost incurred in driving any car, especially new ones. Kind of like asking anyone how many taxes you pay yearly (it's close to 100). The tea party was a revolt against a 3% tax.
You get about 85% of the energy when you charge a battery in an electric car. Better solutions will be coming soon I hope, but until then the early adopters will pay dearly.

·
Registered
Highlander Hybrid 2020
404 Posts
Last time I checked, Tesla Y was around 140k Can$. Highlander Hybrid + 10 year of fuel is way less than that. Case closed.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I pre-ordered a Model Y last February and I deferred delivery twice — once right before the pandemic shut things down and once right after production started back up.

Several things steered me back to getting another Toyota.

1. Quality. Tesla sucks. They are past 100k units (based on VINs) on the Model Y and people are still complaining about ill-fitting parts, bad paint, and misaligned (and sometimes leaking) rear liftgates. Unfortunately, it’s not just aesthetic items. People are still reporting heat (or a/c) failing, vehicles unexpectedly shutting down, and screens going blank.

2. Trust. Poor quality leads to issue number two, trust. If they couldn’t be bothered to install the trim properly or fully paint a door jamb, why would I feel confident that the rest of the mechanicals and electricals are going to last more than a few years?

3. Noise. It may be the lack of engine noise that exacerbates this, but the Model Y I test drove was louder than I expected. Lots of road noise and wind noise, more than I remembered from the last Model 3 I test drove.

That being stated, Teslas are a blast to drive. All that instant torque.

Reactions: KCHiker

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's not Tesla, it's poor quality control and poor employees that assy this cars. Remember today, the USA is a very bad situation, most of these people can not even affrod this cars to buy, they "hate" those who can buy them, they don't care about the car. It's not just a job but it's society motivation of lower middle class, that is thier product they will not buy ever and more important in Bay area where medium home around 1 mil.!

·
Registered
2021 Highlander Platinum AWD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Last time I checked, Tesla Y was around 140k Can$. Highlander Hybrid + 10 year of fuel is way less than that. Case closed.
Tesla model Y MSRP: From CAN$68,600

I have bought Highlander V6 few days ago and enjoying the ride and luxury of Platinum trim but ... worried that my car will be obsolete soon.

·
Registered
486 Posts

I have bought Highlander V6 few days ago and enjoying the ride and luxury of Platinum trim but ... worried that my car will be obsolete soon.
Yup. Your car will be obsolete in about 15-20 years.

·
Registered
2021 Highlander Platinum AWD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Doesn't take much to bring it close to $100K all in when you add a couple of options. No thanks.
yes even the cheapest Model Y with very basic features is 10 K more expensive than my fully loaded 2021 Platinum and its ride quality is very rough. 7 seater model Y is a joke .. 3rd row has only 2 seats with no leg or headroom. Only 2 little kids or a pet can sit in the 3rd row.

·
Registered
20 Ruby Platinum HL, 19 Lexus UX200, 17 Yaris iA
796 Posts

It was technically obsolete when you drove it off the lot...... But it should last a long time....

I figure this is the last wet fuel car I will ever buy (new) again. A fuel cell or natural gas vehicle may be in the future. The all electric is really the big cheat. It has a HUGE carbon foot print. Just it has no exhaust pipe....but it does have pollution associated with it all around. Soap box off.

I am happy with my Highlander. I figure it is good for 10+ years. Then we see what we have out there.

·
Registered
721 Posts
If your definition of “obsolete” is that it couldn’t be passed off as “new,” that’s going to happen in a couple years when Toyota does a mid-cycle refresh — my guess would be 2023.

That’s one of things I love (and hate) about the 4Runner — outside of the plastic cover for the TSS radar and a slight change to the grill, my 2015 looks identical to the 2021 model. The lack of change is also what kept me from buying another one since it’d look almost exactly the same as my 2015 (hence the love and hate).

If your definition of “obsolete” is that is stops serving a useful purpose...my 2001 Highlander, was still on the road 15+ years later (albeit in another state, which means someone put it on a boat and shipped it). My first 4Runner is also still on the road — I’ve seen it at my local mall. It’s over 15 years old too, both still serving a useful purpose to someone and far from obsolete.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Dodge Charger
1,441 Posts
Apples and oranges, actually...I do not believe for a moment anyone will be cross shopping these 2...

·
Registered
721 Posts
Apples and oranges, actually...I do not believe for a moment anyone will be cross shopping these 2...
I did. In fact my Model Y order is still open. I’ll cancel it once my Highlander Hybrid arrives and the paperwork is signed.

Reactions: dz302
1 - 20 of 47 Posts