Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wouldn’t want to buy a electric car at the moment at such a high price. If all the news story’s are true Toyota and a lot of the others are jumping in and they will have a lot of good stuff like solid state batteries. They can recharge in 20 minutes. That will make a model Y worthless. 2020 vs 2021 Highlander is almost the same. I would stick with Highlander until all the new battery tech gets flushed out. I would kick my self if I bought a Tesla now and in 2 years a new battery tech comes out that makes my car worthless.

·
straight cash homie
20,924 Posts
I wouldn’t want to buy a electric car at the moment at such a high price. If all the news story’s are true Toyota and a lot of the others are jumping in and they will have a lot of good stuff like solid state batteries. They can recharge in 20 minutes. That will make a model Y worthless. 2020 vs 2021 Highlander is almost the same. I would stick with Highlander until all the new battery tech gets flushed out. I would kick my self if I bought a Tesla now and in 2 years a new battery tech comes out that makes my car worthless.
IDK, Model Y is suppose to have good residuals, which the Model 3 does have.

·
Registered
719 Posts
IDK, Model Y is suppose to have good residuals, which the Model 3 does have.
Some EVs like the Leaf have garbage resale values, but I suspect part of it is driven by the federal tax credit (why buy used unless it's cheap?) and that people looking for a Leaf are doing so to save money, not because it's a desirable vehicle. Cheap leases on the Leaf also added to the glut of used Leafs on the market, also depressing resale.

No tax credit on the Tesla and they are desirable vehicles, so they've been holding their value.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Dodge Charger
1,430 Posts
I did. In fact my Model Y order is still open. I’ll cancel it once my Highlander Hybrid arrives and the paperwork is signed.
I, too, thought model X when I replied to your model Y post.
That makes sense.
I wouldn't think many people would cross shop the Highlander and Model X.

·
straight cash homie
20,924 Posts
Some EVs like the Leaf have garbage resale values, but I suspect part of it is driven by the federal tax credit (why buy used unless it's cheap?) and that people looking for a Leaf are doing so to save money, not because it's a desirable vehicle. Cheap leases on the Leaf also added to the glut of used Leafs on the market, also depressing resale.

No tax credit on the Tesla and they are desirable vehicles, so they've been holding their value.
Yes indeed. It was cheap to lease then dump them. Teslas are way different and have intrinsic value to their buyers.

Since you mentioned Leaf, I should also mentioned that the first Toyota Mirais that were leased back in 2017, many of them came back in the past year and residuals for them were around $15K, with many coming back on to the pre-owned market Toyota certified.

·
Registered
2021 Highlander Platinum AWD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

Tesla asked to recall Model S, Model X over touchscreen failures
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration requests that roughly 158,000 Tesla Model S and Model X electric vehicles be recalled.

Glad that I bough HL, :cool::D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Was in the market for a Highlander... wife walked into a Tesla store and we walked out with a Model Y order instead. We decided to go with Model Y the most recent one with Standard Range RWD cause at $42k with $3500 CA Tax credit it was basically the same price as an XLE model. Love the panoramic roof, auto pilot, tons of cameras. Car improves with updates and charge cost is significantly less than gas. Plus is fast as hell. We're happy with our purchase. Teslas are the safest cars on the market too.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Was in the market for a Highlander... wife walked into a Tesla store and we walked out with a Model Y order instead. We decided to go with Model Y the most recent one with Standard Range RWD cause at $42k with $3500 CA Tax credit it was basically the same price as an XLE model. Love the panoramic roof, auto pilot, tons of cameras. Car improves with updates and charge cost is significantly less than gas. Plus is fast as hell. We're happy with our purchase. Teslas are the safest cars on the market too.
Congrats on the Model Y. I was looking forward to having the Sentry Mode feature and had even proactively purchased a Samsung SSD for the Model Y I had ordered (this was before they were sending them with a Tesla memory stick from the factory).

If you haven’t taken delivery yet, take a look at the TMC forums for the delivery check-list. Heard that it’s very helpful.

Reactions: Chip Lee

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's good that works for you and your family .
To me is always one problem too much charging and too long compare to fuel. The life is short and the spending extra 40 min every 2/3 days on fast charging station, that waste of time is priceless. To be "green " is great idea but it needs to be more realistic with the life expectation.

·
Registered
Highlander Hybrid 2020
402 Posts
To me is always one problem too much charging and too long compare to fuel. The life is short and the spending extra 40 min every 2/3 days on fast charging station, that waste of time is priceless.
The people I know who have electric car actually charge them at home. That means about 10 seconds per day. Actually, less time per miles traveled than it takes me to fuel my Highlander...

I got a HiHy because I use it to tow a trailer and get to remote area where there's no electricity. But if I change my second car, I'll consider electric.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Thank you so much! I appreciate it. Wife and I are happy with the choice :)
Please come back in a few months and let us know of your experience with the Model Y.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ok at home. Sure good luck with this. let me give a situation, you go to work 20-50 miles in avg (pre corona and may be one day after corona) come back home drivetrains kids to practice another 40 miles around trip. How many time do you forgot to change your phone overnight ? Well it will be about same forgot to change a car. Its inconvenient. I have research a lot thru and said myself no it's not yet. When we can bring DC power at home than it's may be better time to buy. Now Hybrid is best buy.

The people I know who have electric car actually charge them at home. That means about 10 seconds per day. Actually, less time per miles traveled than it takes met to fuel my Highlander...

I got a HiHy because I use it to tow a trailer and get to remote area where there's no electricity. But if I change my second car, I'll consider electric.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Please come back in a few months and let us know of your experience with the Model Y.

Definitely. Yeah we have a Prius as our second car for long trips. Completely understand both sides of it. But when the wife starts asking what color, what's the interior... there was no walking away at that point lol. We both work from home so we aren't really driving much besides dropping off the kiddo at daycare 8 miles a day.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The people I know who have electric car actually charge them at home. That means about 10 seconds per day. Actually, less time per miles traveled than it takes me to fuel my Highlander...
Same here. Most of the EV folks I know have a 220V outlet in their garage. With 200+ miles of range, they plug in at night every other day. It's just part of their routine, much like having to run to the gas station once a week.

There were a few other things I didn't like about Model Y when I test drove it.

Rear visibility is poor and the blind spot monitor is basically watching other cars appear on the screen.
No 360-degree camera (though a recent software upgrade added side views to the rear camera when backing up).
No cargo shade to hide stuff and no place to hook a cargo net (same issue with the RAV4 Prime).
No Apple CarPlay and it lacked Bluetooth Audio controls that even my 4Runner has.

There were many positives, however, and assuming I got a quality vehicle at delivery, I think I would have been happy had I taken delivery of a Model Y in March or June. The ongoing software upgrades are great.

Lots of continuous improvement as well, which I know causes some frustration to those who took delivery right before a change was made. For example, a heated steering wheel is being rolled out now. Projector headlamps are another rolling change expected soon, along with a revised center console and door trim.

·
Registered
2021 Highlander Plat
10 Posts
Same here. Most of the EV folks I know have a 220V outlet in their garage. With 200+ miles of range, they plug in at night every other day. It's just part of their routine, much like having to run to the gas station once a week.

There were a few other things I didn't like about Model Y when I test drove it.

Rear visibility is poor and the blind spot monitor is basically watching other cars appear on the screen.
No 360-degree camera (though a recent software upgrade added side views to the rear camera when backing up).
No cargo shade to hide stuff and no place to hook a cargo net (same issue with the RAV4 Prime).
No Apple CarPlay and it lacked Bluetooth Audio controls that even my 4Runner has.

There were many positives, however, and assuming I got a quality vehicle at delivery, I think I would have been happy had I taken delivery of a Model Y in March or June. The ongoing software upgrades are great.

Lots of continuous improvement as well, which I know causes some frustration to those who took delivery right before a change was made. For example, a heated steering wheel is being rolled out now. Projector headlamps are another rolling change expected soon, along with a revised center console and door trim.
All great points that were on my mind as I was choosing between a Model Y and the Highlander Platinum I ultimately decided upon. The one thing that tipped the scales in favor of the Highlander was that the Model Y was (according to my wife) rough riding. The Highlander was noticeably smoother she said. The Model Y I was interested in was the performance model. At the time, they were no longer selling the performance model with 19 inch wheels and non-lowered suspension.
I certainly miss the fun-to-drive aspect of the Model Y, but the Highlander has been a very nice vehicle so far.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts