Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that may not be the correct thread title, but it’s close.
I have a 2004 Highlander, Base Model, FWD. When the light switch is in the on position, and you shut it off and open the door, the headlights go out just as if you turned them off. When you start the car, the Headlights come back on when the switch is on. So basically, automatic headlights.
I’d like to add this to my ’98 4Runner. Has anyone done it? Is there a wiring diagram somewhere?
Thanks for your help
jaaydee

·
13,477 Posts
Welcome to the forums! :)

Basically, it's just another relay in the power side of the headlight relay that's energized with the ground attached to the door ground switch. When the door is opened and the door switch deactivated, the relay loses ground and thus is de-energized and yer headlight relay loses power and turns off the power to the headlights. I had the same thing fer my 1985 Celica GTS! ;)

·
13,477 Posts
This won't be a simple plug in a relay and yer good to go setup. Yer gonna have to wire it in. There are videos and write ups all over the web on this very subject. You'll just have to add switching the ground by using the ground attached to the door switch instead of switching the power as they have in this video or instructable. ;)

https://www.instructables.com/id/Turn-Off-Headlights-When-Ignition-Off/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts