Toyota Nation Forum banner

Highlander fog lights

2902 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  MikeInNH
I am not a DIYer when it comes to cars. What should I expect to pay for a dealer or other garage to install fog lights on a 2018 Highlander LE? Are there brands I should consider and/or avoid?

Many thanks.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· One and Only
2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium
85 Posts
I am not a DIYer when it comes to cars. What should I expect to pay for a dealer or other garage to install fog lights on a 2018 Highlander LE? Are there brands I should consider and/or avoid?

Many thanks.
Can't go wrong with PIAA or KC HiLites.

· Registered
96 Posts
It's not gonna be cheap to pay someone to install the fog lights for you. If you go to the dealer, they will likely go with an OEM kit, which will likely be more than $400 to purchase. They will then probably charge you 3-4 hours of labor at around $100 per hour. Pretty close to $1000 before taxes.

An indy shop will be slightly less, and they are likely to use whatever kit you bring to them. You are still probably looking at several hours' worth of labor charges.

This is a project that I will be starting in a week or two. I purchased this kit on Amazon. I'm pretty handy electrically, so I plan to modify the harness to use a separate switch that I bought that should fit better in the switch blanks to the left of the wheel on my '19.

I installed a similar kit on my Subaru Forester, and it was pretty straightforward. The bezels screwed right up to the bumper, and the wiring harness was plug and play. I only needed to find a source of power. I tapped into my parking lights and used the included relay to make it so that the parking lights needed to be on to use the fogs.

I plan on making a "how-to" as I do the install. If you're not in a hurry, perhaps you can use it to do the installation yourself.

Good luck

--Exco

2014 Highlander LE
8,152 Posts
I got the Morimoto fog lights that I think are OK, and they are about $150. It should be about $200 for a car audio, or tint shop that does other jobs like dash cam installs, and some electric work.
I would not bother with the dealer, but a good shop with quality work shouldnt be more than $200-300 IF you have the bezel housing ready to fit in... Then all they need is to run the wiring you have to one of the blank spots on the dash. You will also need to buy a fog light switch( some switches will have a foglight logo on it) that fits the Toyota dash.

· Registered
3 Posts
It's not gonna be cheap to pay someone to install the fog lights for you. If you go to the dealer, they will likely go with an OEM kit, which will likely be more than $400 to purchase. They will then probably charge you 3-4 hours of labor at around $100 per hour. Pretty close to $1000 before taxes.

An indy shop will be slightly less, and they are likely to use whatever kit you bring to them. You are still probably looking at several hours' worth of labor charges.

This is a project that I will be starting in a week or two. I purchased this kit on Amazon. I'm pretty handy electrically, so I plan to modify the harness to use a separate switch that I bought that should fit better in the switch blanks to the left of the wheel on my '19.

I installed a similar kit on my Subaru Forester, and it was pretty straightforward. The bezels screwed right up to the bumper, and the wiring harness was plug and play. I only needed to find a source of power. I tapped into my parking lights and used the included relay to make it so that the parking lights needed to be on to use the fogs.

I plan on making a "how-to" as I do the install. If you're not in a hurry, perhaps you can use it to do the installation yourself.

Good luck

--Exco

I was looking at the same fog lights on Amazon. How are they holding up? Is the switch that came with it a different color than the blue hue?

If it is can you please send me a link to the switch you used. I want it to look as OEM as possible

Thanks

· Registered
2021 HiHy Platinum AWD
2,341 Posts
I was looking at the same fog lights on Amazon. How are they holding up? Is the switch that came with it a different color than the blue hue?

If it is can you please send me a link to the switch you used. I want it to look as OEM as possible

Thanks

Looking at the supplied wiring:

1) the harness uses a chassis ground, so when you turn on the high beams, the fogs will stay on
2) 6. Positive, you will need to determine where you want the +12V source for the switch: You can have it with the parking lights (like the Germans), low beams (factory) or as a standalone (such as the ACC wire).

· Registered
96 Posts

Thanks
They held up great. I did not use the supplied switch. I used one that would fit in one of the switch blanks to the left of the steering wheel.
This is the switch that I used. I was pleased with the results.

I traded in the Highlander about 2 weeks ago. I bought a Nissan Frontier truck, so I no longer have the vehicle.

--Exco

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.