Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had an odd thing happen: had parked my 2019 Highlander hybrid limited in a parking lot while we ate dinner. Came back out and tried to start the car. At first, I was given messages that the hybrid system had not started (yes, I was pushing brake). after a few more presses of start, stop (as it was getting impossible to tell if i had just toggled it to off, or on, given all the flashing indicators), but the thing just kinda went crazy. All / many indicator lights flashing on/off...tail lights flashing intermittently (not a pattern at all...just sporatic), etc. I finally gave up (after the SOS button would not work either) and called Toyota Roadside assistance (still under warranty as only 1K miles on it). By the time I got the gentlemen from India able to get me a tow truck, I tried starting it one more time, and away it went (fired right up).

Anyone seen this behavior before (ie, I have no auto/remote start...that I know of, on fob).

a bit of feedback for Toyota: If they are listening: When I turn off the car, TURN OFF ALL THE IDIOT lights including door ajar warnings etc (I do not need them when I am getting in/out of car). I never am "certain" I have actually turned this thing off!!

·
Registered
2019 highlander LE
676 Posts
could be as simple as the 12v battery being low, even if the car is new.
Better to go to the dealership and have them check for any codes stored.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I second what 'cutienoua' had posted, check the battery's voltage. Especially, during this past 1k miles you have been just taking it easy with short trips which likely didn't give your HL's battery a chance to fully charged... Low battery voltage can cause our cars at start-up act the most crazy similar to your description.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
could be as simple as the 12v battery being low, even if the car is new.
Better to go to the dealership and have them check for any codes stored.
Yes... Have it in shop as I type. Check engine light went off for first time on way to dealer. I hope it's easy. Does not give me great comfort (just retired and wanted to do some traveling).

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had the same thing happen on my 19 hybrid highlander, all the dash lights started flashing randomly. It occurred after I was cleaning the car so the doors/lights were open for a while and the radio was on. I figured the 12V battery must have drained. An hour later it was fine.

·
7,490 Posts
12V is charged off hybrid battery. Unless hybrid battery is on the low end, 12V will stay charged.
As of the OP... trying to frequently press Start button does not help. Better idea is to - yes, press firmly brake pedal - and press and HOLD Start button. Until vehicle starts. One quick press simply puts it into Aux mode. Then you take foot off brake pedal, press it again, and so on.. it only confuses ECU until it gives up and safety kicks in.

after a few more presses of start, stop (as it was getting impossible to tell if i had just toggled it to off, or on, given all the flashing indicators), but the thing just kinda went crazy.

·
Registered
2019 Highlander Hybrid XLE
47 Posts
Actually, the 12 volt battery is only charged when the hybrid battery is connected to the inverter/converter by the contactor. This only happens in the "ON" condition so it is possible to have a drained 12 volt battery even with parts of the system turned on. It must be fully "ON" and the "ready" light illuminated for the battery to charge from the hybrid system. The '19 hybrid has a 50 amp-hour AGM battery located in the left rear corner of the vehicle. The body control computer will turn off any loads like interior lights after a short while if you accidentally leave them on but it's still not a good idea to use loads like lights or stereo for too long after turning the vehicle off or to the accessory setting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts