Toyota Nation Forum banner

Highlander Hybrid Fuel Tank Issues merged threads

158669 Views 742 Replies 178 Participants Last post by  lloyd123
Have any other 2020 Highlander Hybrid (AWD) owners having issues with filling the fuel tank all the way or the DTE display showing much less than it should?

When I took delivery of my 2020 Highlander Hybrid last month I was concerned that the "Distance to Empty" display read only 420 miles. I asked the salesman if this was right and she confirmed that the fuel capacity of the vehicle was 17.1 gallons and the MPG is rated at 35 so the range should be about 600 miles. Then she said that it might take a while for the computer to reset and show the correct DTE.

I've only driven the vehicle 725 miles since I got it due to Covid-19 restrictions, and while it's averaging 35.6 miles per gallon (mostly ECO mode), the vehicle only shows about 420 miles DTE when refueled. This week I specifically waited for the low fuel light to go on and drove a few miles past just for good measure. I went to the gas station and only could pump 12 gallons before the pump shut off. I tried topping off the tank and eeked 12.5 gallons into the tank and showed DTE of 445 miles – far less than the 609 miles I expected.

I took the vehicle back to the dealership and explained the problem. They checked for error codes, software updates, recalls and TSBs and found nothing. They noted that that were no issues. I called Toyota corporate and was told the same thing - no issues reported.

I did some research (“Google”) and found that 2019/2020 RAV4 Hybrids with the same new “saddle” tank design are having the same problem I’m experiencing. Apparently, the new tank design is required to accommodate the hybrid drivetrain and won’t fill all the way. RAV4 owners can fill about 9 to 10 gallons of the 14.5 gallon tank – pretty consistent with what I’m getting with 12 gallons of the 17 gallon tank capacity.

I’m pretty sure there’s a design defect in the Highlander Hybrid fuel tank preventing the last five gallons of gas being pumped thus cheating me out of 180 miles of range.

While Toyota has acknowledged an issue with the RAV4 and are working on a fix, they haven’t acknowledged a problem with the Highlander yet. I guess I might have to join the RAV4 class action lawsuit in order to get satisfaction?

Toyota Faces Class Action Lawsuit for Faulty RAV4 Hybrid Fuel Tanks
Toyota offers interim fix for Rav4 Hybrid gas tank concerns

Thoughts?
681 - 700 of 743 Posts

· Registered
2021 HiHy Platinum Blueprint/Glazed Caramel
53 Posts
My 2020 Highlander will not fill to the capacity of the tank. I understand that there is a class action suit in the US over this issue. Has anyone had any luck getting this issue fixed under warranty? I understand that a recall was put out for hybrid RAV4 with the same issue.
Her you go. This worked for me along with clicking the auto gas fill to the slowing setting.

“With the car on make sure the
odometer is displayed not trip A or trip B then
shut off the car. Foot off the brake press and
hold the odometer button and turn the ignition
on by pressing the power button twice then
continue to hold the odo button the mileage
will flash when it stops you're done it's
calibrated”

· Registered
53 Posts
We have a 2020 Highlander Hybrid AWD model LE now with 30,000 miles on the odometer. Filling up this has been a concern for me as even at the lowest fuel nozzle setting the pump kicks off and the fuel needle is between the full and 3/4 tank mark. I mentioned this to our local Toyota dealer over a year ago and he documented it for me and stated there was no info about a service bulletin for it.

Living in Oregon you are not allowed to pump your own gas only in low population counties. I had a chance to fill up and when the pump clicked off I still managed to pump nearly 4 gallons of gas until the tank was filled, a very slow operation I might add.

Thanks to this forum I found this bulletin and will be taking our Highlander Hybrid and this TSB bulletin to our Toyota Dealer Service Dept. here in Oregon.

· Registered
2020 Highlander Hybrid AWD Platinum, 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE
113 Posts
Took my 2020 Highlander Platinum Hybrid in to the dealer today, gave them the TSB # (0008-22, issued on 02/08/2022) and after about 3/4 hour later the service advisor came out and said "You were right about the tank, and we've already placed an order for the new tank and assorted parts".

You'd think Toyota would voluntarily reach out to owners to let them know, but nothing was said to me last month when I had it in for service. Not happy about that aspect, but very happy this is getting resolved.

A BIG "Thanks" to the folks here on ToyotaNation for posting about this.

· Registered
53 Posts
Toyota should have sent out a mailer to Highlander Hybrid owners who may have this issue. If it was not for this forum I would not have known about it. Yesterday received a voice mail from our local Toyota Dealer and they told me to contact them for my fuel tank to be replaced.

· Registered
2020 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited
203 Posts
I start thinking it's not the tank but the gauge. For the past 2 times, I see the fuel point above the F mark (bottom picture), and estimated 508 miles to empty. Today, before fill up, I drove 499.8 miles and still have 9 miles to empty (middle picture). So that's pretty close to the 508 miles estimate. With 499.8 miles and 36.3 MPG for the tank, I used about 13.76 gals. After fill up, the fuel point below the F mark. However, I filled 13.242 gals. Only half a gallon different than calculation. That means the tank is full but the gauge is wrong. Also, base on the fuel pointer in the middle picture, I could have driven at least 50 more miles.
Speedometer Green Tachometer Trip computer White
Speedometer Green Tachometer Trip computer White

· Registered
2020 Highlander Hybrid AWD Platinum, 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE
113 Posts
I start thinking it's not the tank but the gauge.
Yep, definitely part of the deal. My dealer just replaced the parts for the "Vehicle Refueling Performance" T-SB=-0008-22 on my 2020 Highlander Hybrid AWD. It included a new gauge assembly. Here's what was replaced:
  • 77001-0E161 Fuel Tank Sub-Assy
  • 77173-0E021 Fuel Gauge Bracket
  • 83320-0E061 Fuel Send Gauge Assy
  • 77169-0R030 Fuel Suction Gasket

· Registered
2 Posts
Took my 2020 HH XLE to the dealer with the TSB and they denied this impacts my car. :unsure: She said they recalibrated the fuel tank and it should be fixed. The TSB indicates the Plant Code must be S. The 11th letter on my VIN is S. I'm suspicious if this will work.

· Registered
1,373 Posts
I've had zero issues for the past 6 months, after performing the reset followed by consistently using the two click gas filling method (i.e., Fill tank until the gas nozzle clicks to stop. Release and wait 30-45 seconds. Pull nozzle to fill again until it clicks to stop). The needle always shows passed full and my mileage to empty is ~800km or~500mi. I do a manual mileage calculation each time to compare to the computer and it's bang on.

No need to replace fuel system components or address via TSB. Happy camper.

· Registered
53 Posts
2020 highland hybrid all wheel drive model LE owner. When refuelling after auto click you can still nurse in 3.5 gallons. We are having the tank replaced this month. I hope this works where the gauge will read above the full mark. Now after auto click, without adding more fuel, it reads between 3/4 and full.

· Registered
3 Posts
Her you go. This worked for me along with clicking the auto gas fill to the slowing setting.

“With the car on make sure the
odometer is displayed not trip A or trip B then
shut off the car. Foot off the brake press and
hold the odometer button and turn the ignition
on by pressing the power button twice then
continue to hold the odo button the mileage
will flash when it stops you're done it's
calibrated”
Thank you for these instructions. I performed the reset and filled the tank as described. It worked. I'll check mileage manually and compare to the car reading. My question: Is it worth it to have all these repairs done - I have about six months to make up my mind.

· Registered
7 Posts
Just was talking to wife this week about this issue. 2021 Hybrid, going to contact local dealership about remedy. Just filled up and did reset procedure. Coming home from 2,200 mile road trip and could have really used the extra fuel in tank. DTE shows 434 miles :(

· Registered
2 Posts
Update from Aug 19*** I returned to the dealer after they "recalibrated the fuel tank". I tried to drive off the lot and the tank was empty with the "Refuel" message where my DTE should be. I now I have a Tundra rental because they fried something. Having a truck is great, but I say I haven't filled the tank yet :LOL:

681 - 700 of 743 Posts